• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A named

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Yes, but would you like to try and argue why he shouldn't be in the first XI with the start he's had to his international career?

He should make the squad for the VB series and should therefore get a few games.
If that's so, how do they justify him in the A team? Seems a tad strange to me, I can understand in the longer game, but not One Dayers!

It's because the 'A' team was named as a developmental squad. The entire team comprises of players of less than 26 years of age. So while Clarke may have had a start worthy of keeping him in the first XI for the immediate future, the selectors want him to continue to develop his skills. This is not a reflection of him being in the 2nd best XI players.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hey marc and fellow overseas people, you might not have heard the 'hype' i suppose about Mr Clarke.
When Trevor Hohns was asked who was the next up and coming to take over from Waugh, the first and only person he said was Clarke. Ian Chappell also said the other day, that people like, quote Michael Clarke are the future of Aussie Test Cricket.

What Im saying is, its not just Ged thats excited about him. Or I for that matter (HAD to join). Aus A team is basically what the selectors feel are the players that will replace the current team in the future... Clarke being captain is BIG.

Andre

International Regular
Linda said:
When Trevor Hohns was asked who was the next up and coming to take over from Waugh, the first and only person he said was Clarke.
Not true - he also mentioned Martin Love, Brad Hodge and Simon Katcih aswell.

He's still got a lot to do before he cracks a Test place - to my calculations, he's 3rd in line behind Love and Katich - if not behind Hodge also.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Andre said:
You must of seen a different one to me then. I think this was during the Brissy Test.

Sure hes still got alot to do. So have the rest.

Andre said:

He's still got a lot to do before he cracks a Test place - to my calculations, he's 3rd in line behind Love and Katich - if not behind Hodge also.
You must have seen something different to me because, consarnit, I just didn't hear Hohnsy say anything about Katich, Love or Hodge. Oh well, there goes that.

Your calculations? I'd like to hear what exactly these calculations are. Were they formed under strict lock-down in a secret laboratory in Aruba with only yourself and two close guards who know of their existence?

And, finally, by MY calculations, Katich and Hodge are 28, Love 29 and Clarke 22. Clarke is every bit as talented (if not more so) than the others. Sounds like a calculation that matters to me.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I'm disappointed with the Australian "A" team as so many Queenslanders have been overlooked

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
James90 said:
Personally I'm disappointed with the Australian "A" team as so many Queenslanders have been overlooked
I think the selectors were being diplomatic and basically chose 2 from each state and 1 from Tassie.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i dont think they purposely picked 2 fro each state... but hey you never know. i think they just went for a young, young team...
i feel so sorry for bracken!! hes so close to playing for aussie but cant quite exactly cut it...
if it ever possibly happend i would go for aus A rather than aussie in a wc.

Andre

International Regular
furious_ged said:
You must have seen something different to me because, consarnit, I just didn't hear Hohnsy say anything about Katich, Love or Hodge. Oh well, there goes that.

Your calculations? I'd like to hear what exactly these calculations are. Were they formed under strict lock-down in a secret laboratory in Aruba with only yourself and two close guards who know of their existence?

And, finally, by MY calculations, Katich and Hodge are 28, Love 29 and Clarke 22. Clarke is every bit as talented (if not more so) than the others. Sounds like a calculation that matters to me.
Forgive me for suggesting any other batsman in Australia exists. How foolish of me.

Before you go and blow the Clarke trumpet, how many Test caps does he have?

9 less that Love and Katich. Good effort considering he's more talented.

On that Test record it's clear to see he's the world's best cricketer. Forgive me for suggesting otherwise.

Andre said:
Before you go and blow the Clarke trumpet, how many Test caps does he have?

9 less that Love and Katich. Good effort considering he's more talented.
Well Love and Katich have had a combined career of about 20 years one would think. 9 tests? That many? In 20 years, the Don managed a few more than 50, and there was a lot less cricket going on then.

9 whole tests between two people in their extensive careers... wow. Don't give up your day job, Andre.

PY

International Coach
Remind me again......I'm a little slow this morning.

How many caps has Clarke got?

Andre

International Regular
furious_ged said:
Well Love and Katich have had a combined career of about 20 years one would think. 9 tests? That many? In 20 years, the Don managed a few more than 50, and there was a lot less cricket going on then.

9 whole tests between two people in their extensive careers... wow. Don't give up your day job, Andre.
Well, in Clarke's 5 years of cricket, he's managed 0 Tests.

Good start.

In 20 years, that equals 0.45 Tests per year. At Clarke's current rate, he's speeding along at 0.

Think before you type.

Last edited:
How many caps did Katich and Love have in their first 5 years?

Hey yeah, wasn't it none? Certainly was. Wait until he's had the same amount of time as either of the other two and anyone will tell you he'll have more than 9 caps.

The only reason Katich and Love get in ahead is because they're seasoned, and have performed over the years. Just because Clarke hasn't doesn't mean he's not as good, he's disadvantaged at not having been around as long as them as of yet.

The selectors I'm sure would love to pick Clarke but then they'd have whiny bitches like you complaining that 2 people who have played 20 years of cricket between them for 9 tests aren't getting in first.

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
furious_ged said:
whiny bitches like you complaining that 2 people who have played 20 years of cricket between them for 9 tests aren't getting in first.
Speaking of bitches, you wouldnt happen to be the personal bitch of MJ Clarke, would you:P
You sure do act like it

PS
Dont push the admin boys
Those who play with fire get their fingers burnt

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK, guys, you've had your fun.

Civil discussion from now on, please.

Consider this to be a shot across the bows.

I'm not frightened of 'admin boys', or as they are colloquially referred to by the rest of the world as 'no life nerds'. If they get off by banning me them I'm only too happy to oblige. :)

As for being Clarke's bitch, I wish.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
I'm not frightened of 'admin boys', or as they are colloquially referred to by the rest of the world as 'no life nerds'. If they get off by banning me them I'm only too happy to oblige. :)

As for being Clarke's bitch, I wish.
Consider this just a repeat of the first warning, seeing as your inflammatory remark aimed at the moderators of this site was posted at the same time as the warning.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Originally posted by furious_ged
I'm not frightened of 'admin boys', or as they are colloquially referred to by the rest of the world as 'no life nerds'.
Ged's posts-per-day rate: 7.88
Andre's: 1.19

PY

International Coach
furious_ged said:
I'm not frightened of 'admin boys'
Dang, you're courageous :wow:. You aren't scared of someone on the internet. :rolleyes:

Last edited: