Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fidel Edwards VS Andrew Flintoff as test bowlers

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    It was a perfectly valid observation. Just pointing out an odd facet of our sport.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    on further thought yeah, I think he was right....my bad
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    imagine if there were stats on edges, play & misses for each batsman and corresponding stats for bowlers.
    for example, avg no. of deliveries faced per play & a miss.. or maybe avg no. of deliveries played at per play & a miss (to exclude leaves)

Proud Supporter of All Blacks

A fully committed play-and-miss might be a bigger mistake than a nick, but not one where you go on to make a stroke, realise at the last fraction of a moment that you might nick it and then decide to lessen your commitment slightly to make sure you miss it, just. (I'm not talking aout withdrawing from the shot completely at the last moment, I'm talking about those cases where you don't even have the time to withdraw from the shot - you just slow down your hand movement slightly, slow down your bat speed slightly at the last moment to miss it - if you understand what I mean).

And from personal experience, I would say it's very difficult to distinguish between the two from a spectators PoV. I would say more than half the play-and-miss that we see are of the 2nd type.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Well yeah, but that's the kind of nuances that stats don't see, which is the original point
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I defs see it as a bowler has erred by moving it further than required/not pitching it full enough, not that the batsman has made a bigger error and resulted in a play and a miss.

Batsman will play at the ball regardless, up to the bowler to pitch it full enough/make it move just enough so the batsman nicks it.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

nah ****, bowler just far too good for batsman, politely can offer to put a bell in it of course
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Nah, pitch the ball up an extra little bit and the play and miss becomes an edge.

Ofcourse pitch it up too much and it becomes a half volley.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    A fully committed play-and-miss might be a bigger mistake than a nick, but not one where you go on to make a stroke, realise at the last fraction of a moment that you might nick it and then decide to lessen your commitment slightly to make sure you miss it, just. (I'm not talking aout withdrawing from the shot completely at the last moment, I'm talking about those cases where you don't even have the time to withdraw from the shot - you just slow down your hand movement slightly, slow down your bat speed slightly at the last moment to miss it - if you understand what I mean).

And from personal experience, I would say it's very difficult to distinguish between the two from a spectators PoV. I would say more than half the play-and-miss that we see are of the 2nd type.
    never fully thought about it. good point.
    like a batsman may be uncertain at the very last sec about his ability to make proper contact to a given delivery and therfore mayslightly withdraw from its initial intended shot, which turns out to be enough to miss the ball..

it happens more when the bowler is on top of you or early on in a batsman's innings i think?
    coz now that it's come to my realization, it's how Hussey kept getting beaten by miles by Morkel in the 2nd innings of the 1st test. . It seems like it's a uncertain state of mind that brings about that instinctive action.

on the contrary, if you are confident, then you're perhaps unlikely to make such slight withdrawals. you'd probably have more faith in your intended shot..

Well I think re: Hussey vs Morkel in the Test, benchy's point about Morkel pitching way too short is pretty spot-on. He was never going to nick those on that length.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    I defs see it as a bowler has erred by moving it further than required/not pitching it full enough, not that the batsman has made a bigger error and resulted in a play and a miss.

Batsman will play at the ball regardless, up to the bowler to pitch it full enough/make it move just enough so the batsman nicks it.
    i see it as batsman not being good enough to adjust to the swing/seam despite the ball having been pitched further back.

Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    i see it as batsman not being good enough to adjust to the swing/seam despite the ball having been pitched further back.
    Nah that's silly. The art of good seam bowling is to pitch it on a length that the batsman considers driveable, but by the time it reaches the bat it has deviated just enough to take the edge.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Someone like Ishant Sharma beats the bat pretty often for someone with such a poor average, which also backs up the point about it being the bowlers mistake as well pitching it too short. But to say the batsmen has not erred is wrong imo. If the batsmen's intention was to make contact with the ball (unless the situation is the one that weldone described) and he's missed it, the batsmen has definitely made a bigger mistake there than if he'd nicked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Someone like Ishant Sharma beats the bat pretty often for someone with such a poor average, which also backs up the point about it being the bowlers mistake as well pitching it too short. But to say the batsmen has not erred is wrong imo. If the batsmen's intention was to make contact with the ball (unless the situation is the one that weldone described) and he's missed it, the batsmen has definitely made a bigger mistake there than if he'd nicked it.
    Yes but in both instances the batsman has erred exactly the same, it's just one length is fuller than the other, getting the edge.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yes but in both instances the batsman has erred exactly the same, it's just one length is fuller than the other, getting the edge.
    I get your point, but I was referring to a batsmen edging a delivery vs playing and missing the exact same delivery, in which case it's pretty obvious who's erred more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information