• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is The Greatest West Indies Batsman of All Time

Who is The Greatest West Indies Batsman of All Time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
Headley is an interesting one. Nearly half his first-class cricket was played in England where he averaged 68. Only Bradman had a higher average there and that includes English players.

Despite reports to the contrary it seems he was no dasher. Statistician Gerald Brodribb calculated that in all first-class innings of fifty or more in England, Headley scored at the same rate as Woodfull and slower than Hutton. It could be argued he shouldered much more responsibility than either.

He was very much a back foot player who favoured the on side. Grimmett said he was the best on side player he bowled to, but in general Headley's reputation appears to have been highest in England. Bradman thought Weekes was better.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Headley is an interesting one. Nearly half his first-class cricket was played in England where he averaged 68. Only Bradman had a higher average there and that includes English players.

Despite reports to the contrary it seems he was no dasher. Statistician Gerald Brodribb calculated that in all first-class innings of fifty or more in England, Headley scored at the same rate as Woodfull and slower than Hutton. It could be argued he shouldered much more responsibility than either.

He was very much a back foot player who favoured the on side. Grimmett said he was the best on side player he bowled to, but in general Headley's reputation appears to have been highest in England. Bradman thought Weekes was better.
Bradman was probably offended by his nickname comparing the two.

Chrish

International Debutant
Sobers was a complete player in a sense he didn’t have an apparent weakness against any non-kiwi team.

Viv struggled against Chandra in one or two games and also mentioned in his biography that he doubted his place in international cricket. So, there is a hypothetical possibility that he might have hard time against top tier spin bowling. Although, his doubt is completely reasonable because any player would feel the same had they failed in first couple of games. And it doesn’t necessarily mean he wouldn’t have eventually overcome it.

Headley had a small sample size and didn’t play against full strength english teams. I have already discussed what I think was Lara’s weakness so won’t repeat it here.

It’s between Sobers and Viv and I prefer players who can dominate pace bowlers since pace > spin for me. So, answer is Viv.

Slifer

International Captain
Sobers was a complete player in a sense he didn’t have an apparent weakness against any non-kiwi team.

Viv struggled against Chandra in one or two games and also mentioned in his biography that he doubted his place in international cricket. So, there is a hypothetical possibility that he might have hard time against top tier spin bowling. Although, his doubt is completely reasonable because any player would feel the same had they failed in first couple of games. And it doesn’t necessarily mean he wouldn’t have eventually overcome it.

Headley had a small sample size and didn’t play against full strength english teams. I have already discussed what I think was Lara’s weakness so won’t repeat it here.

It’s between Sobers and Viv and I prefer players who can dominate pace bowlers since pace > spin for me. So, answer is Viv.
Where do people get this notion that he never played vs full strength English teams. The tours in 1933 and 1939 in England look like full strength teams to me. Ditto the 34-35 series in the WI.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There is no chance that the England tour party in the 30’s to the Windies would be full strength. At best you’d get a handful of Test quality cricketers then scratch around for rag tag and bobtail.

Slifer

International Captain
There is no chance that the England tour party in the 30’s to the Windies would be full strength. At best you’d get a handful of Test quality cricketers then scratch around for rag tag and bobtail.
The series in England in 1933 had the likes of: Sutcliffe, Hammond, Leyland, Jardine, Verity and Ames , Allen.

1939: Hutton, Paynter, Hammond, Compton, Verity and Billy Bowes

Therefore, you are correct. The 34-35 in the Caribbean didn't feature full England teams but the other two series (highlightee above) sure as hell did. And Headley averaged 55 and 66 respectively, which is more than good enough for me. So this notion he never faced full English teams is bs. And before anyone mentions Larwood being missing, he was injured for the '33 series and retired before the series in '39. That has absolutely nothing to do with George.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
The chief exponents of Bodyline, Larwood and Voce, made themselves unavailable for England in 1933. Voce turned out for Nottinghamshire against the West Indians and Headley scored 66.

For various reasons Voce never played a home Test but he was England's leading wicket-taker in Australia in 1936-37 and was selected to tour there again ten years later.

In 1939 Voce again played for Nottinghamshire against the touring West Indians. This time Headley scored 234 not out.