• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe this question would be better off in the domestic thread, but I wonder what bowling attack NSW will go with against the bulls, considering Henriques was their only bowler to be selected for Australia A, and there aren't any internationals.

Has to be Watto, O'Kefee and 3 of: Starc, Cummins, Bollinger, Hazelwood, Copeland?
depends on what players the selectors tell us to play

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep, and that's why I reckon it'll be Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood.
NSW will play Haddin at 6, SOK at 7, the 3 young quicks and Copeland at 8. Copes probably to play to help the batting over Bollinger.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
NSW will play Haddin at 6, SOK at 7, the 3 young quicks and Copeland at 8. Copes probably to play to help the batting over Bollinger.
Starc and Cummins are better batsmen, then Copeland.

The fact that Copeland captained the 2nd XI side, tells me he will be the one that misses out. Normally captaining 2nd XI usually means you going to have a stint in until a spot opens up.

Last edited:

Spikey

i look forward to march when we have to pick between bills, campbell, abbott and coyte

(bills and campbell shared a 150 run, 10th wicket stand today btw)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Starc and Cummins are better batsmen, then Copeland.

The fact that Copeland captained the 2nd XI side, tells me he will be the one that misses out. Normally captaining 2nd XI usually means you going to have a stint in until a spot opens up.
So you think if Copeland, Starc and Cummins all play in the same team, Copeland will bat below the other two. No chance.

Did I just see NU**** advocate Copes' selection?
NSW are playing QLD - in an ideal world Copes plays and goes for 0/100, but with the bunch of Nufs in the QLD lineup, its not realistic.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So you think if Copeland, Starc and Cummins all play in the same team, Copeland will bat below the other two. No chance.
You do realise Starc averages 20 plus with the bat and Cummins recently is batting above Starc at 8 or 9 for Australia and the Sixers. Both played as bowling all rounders in juniors and bat higher then Copeland at grade level as well.

benchmark00

You do realise Starc averages 20 plus with the bat and Cummins recently is batting above Starc at 8 or 9 for Australia and the Sixers. Both played as bowling all rounders in juniors and bat higher then Copeland at grade level as well.
Copeland was a batsman at junior level if you're going to bring that into it.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Predicitng this will be Australia's next Test Team

1. Cowan
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Hussey
7. Wade
8. Siddle
9. Pattinson
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Lyon
12. Starc

Possible issues....

Cowan has only scored 118 runs @ 23.60 this season with HS of 42 (3 games)
Watson, Hussey & Warner haven't played a FC game since the last Test (april)
Starc yet to play a FC game this season

howardj

International Coach
Agree with all that

Cowan is a concern fullstop

He's an absolute journeyman

I don't blame him though as his performance in the international theatre to date is just a reflection of his FC career

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
That top 3 doesnt inspire confidence, shaky to say the least. Not convinced Watson is a long term test player anymore, just cant bat long enough to be a regular in the top or middle order, no other place for him atm i guess, Hussey aint going anywhere, unless clarke moves to 3 and Watson to 5 or 6, not gonna happen though. Outside chance of Ponting going back to 3, in dominant form right now.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Hussey has a very poor record against the South African attack so I wouldn't bank on him too much this series. Ponting, Clarke and Wade could be the mainstay of our batting lineup this series with odd contributions from the rest.

I do think Cowan is a good choice to have against Philander though. More likely to leave those deliveries that have been getting a lot of left handers out over the past year. Warner could really be in trouble this series although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Spikey

I don't blame him though as his performance in the international theatre to date is just a reflection of his FC career

It isn't one respect though - conversion rate. I think he was 15/15 or something before the test debut, and is currently 0/3.

probably not a big deal though

aussie tragic

International Captain
Cowans 74 (73 balls) off the Vics making me feel a bit better since its against Pattinson & McKay as well as the Aussie A attack of Hastings, McDonald and Maxwell ;)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Cowans 74 (73 balls) off the Vics making me feel a bit better since its against Pattinson & McKay as well as the Aussie A attack of Hastings, McDonald and Maxwell ;)
It is against Darren Pattinson not James. Still decent knock, though it is on a road, but runs are runs.