• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Does anyone know what time the Doctor came in today? I was busy so unfortunately missed the occasion.

I think they should put a notice on the scoreboard when the Doctor arrives. The crowd would love it. Should allow for a 5-minute beer snake raise amnesty during that time also. A real celebration of cricket in the west.
So much beer snaking going on today that security gave up and an amnesty was in full force.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It must be said. How awesome is it to watch a Perth test after the bland wickets churned out in Brisbane and Adelaide.

This is hardly the bounciest pitch I have seen from Perth nor holds much seam movement, however it creates such superior cricket to watch.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couple of jaffas from Starc to get Peterson and Kallis, eh?

Nice nut from Hastings for de Villiers too.

Had a hard paper-round tho, but. 27? Looks closer to 40.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There's never a good one, but Elgar's was one of the more horrible 0s you'll ever see. Looked like a kid in his dad's kit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's never a good one, but Elgar's was one of the more horrible 0s you'll ever see. Looked like a kid in his dad's kit.
Given he apparently he modelled his technique on Langer, he certainly needs to work on implementing the patented Langer "oh look, a short ball, I'll stand perfectly still in cop it in the shoulder" defence.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, whatever then.

In my mind if you're moving a full ball enough through the air to bowl Jacques ****ing Kallis ffs through the gate you're doing ok.

Criminal Johnson ended up with better figures too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Loving the cheer Lyon got 'cos the (rather pissed, obviously) crowd thought he was Punter. :laugh:

How Watson wasn't given before the review is beyond me too. Stone dead plumb, WACA bounce etc or not.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It must be said. How awesome is it to watch a Perth test after the bland wickets churned out in Brisbane and Adelaide.

This is hardly the bounciest pitch I have seen from Perth nor holds much seam movement, however it creates such superior cricket to watch.
This. I am so excited about today's play.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: quite

CW's overall insistence on never giving bowlers any credit for their wickets borders on the absurd at times.
i never said it wasn't a decent ball. :cool:
but kallis didn't play for the swing at all- his bat was totally out of line and his front leg was struck on the crease which left a massive hole.

Briony

International Debutant
Loving the cheer Lyon got 'cos the (rather pissed, obviously) crowd thought he was Punter. :laugh:

How Watson wasn't given before the review is beyond me too. Stone dead plumb, WACA bounce etc or not.
With quite a few going over the top in Adelaide on review, the umps were obviously conservative. It's fair to say though that they have got quite a few wrong in this series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any reason why he didnt play another test? Surprising that someone hits a fifty not out and is not offered any more tests..
There was never any room for him. He played in a time where Australia's B side was probably a top test match side. When he was in his pomp, Hayden, Elliot, Blewett, Love, Lehman and a host of others were unable to get a permanent spot in the Australian team.

I mean, just have a look at the Australia vs Australia A sides that were fielded in this game:
10th Match: Australia v Australia A at Brisbane, Jan 8, 1995 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

That was the kind of quality that lurked in Shield cricket in those days.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
jboss must be fuming - anyone remember him? He was a huge Elgar fan.

Looking forward to today's action, just looking at the betting I think Lyon 17.5 over/under is a tad too high, he's pretty much done 4/5 of his job already IMO and will perish very early.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was never any room for him. He played in a time where Australia's B side was probably a top test match side. When he was in his pomp, Hayden, Elliot, Blewett, Love, Lehman and a host of others were unable to get a permanent spot in the Australian team.

I mean, just have a look at the Australia vs Australia A sides that were fielded in this game:
10th Match: Australia v Australia A at Brisbane, Jan 8, 1995 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Wow that batting is ridiculous.

Shame the same thing can't be said about the bowling though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Also to add to this, he only got a game due to injury to Steve Waugh. When Waugh was fit, Ponting impressed/had more upside so he retained his spot in front of Law. Hard luck but Law did manage to have a reasonably lengthy ODI career. Obviously brilliant servant for the reigning Shield champions Queensland too.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I know this has been said already, but it really can't be overstated; Lyon is a gun.

It's so easy to have the mindset that as a number 10/11 you can just get out slogging and nobody is going to care. And for bowlers with no defensive technique that is probably valid. But Nafe has a ripper of a defense, and values his wicket so highly. It won't be long until he gets a test 50, even if the bulk of runs are scored off the sweep.

WAFG