• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

howardj

International Coach
So our replacecement is 30 years of age and averages in the 30's....other than that he is fine

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So our replacecement is 30 years of age and averages in the 30's....other than that he is fine
Howard, the bloke you nominated Ferguson averages in the 30s too.

Cricketers shouldn't be punished for starting their domestic careers poorly. Quiney has obviously had to work very hard just to gain selection in the Victorian shield side often batting at 6 or 7 and only really had the opportunity to bat in the top order when Nick Jewell retired.

Since then, he has been the most solid opening bat in the country, being named domestic player of the year last year so I'm happy enough with the decision to name him as stand-by for a top 3 spot.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, you can't keep 'punishing' a player for what he's done in his FC career if he's obviously improved his stats recently. I honestly believe that just watching a player over a short period of time can give you a 'feel' for how they'd cope in a more high-pressurised enviroment (test cricket).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm really not sure how anyone can be angry or upset at the selection. there was no stand out option. along as they picked one of the 7 or so equally 'meh' and/or flawed options, they're safe.

Spark

Global Moderator
:laugh: Burgey

It's not as if he's just happened to string a few good knocks together after a career of mediocrity either, his last few years have been quite good. As good a pick as any, really (which tbf is not a high bar to jump)

Top_Cat

It's not as if averaging 40+ as an opener has been easy in Shield cricket the past couple of years. Been a good 5 years for Shield pace bowlers, ask Copeland. :ph34r:

So many caveats, what-ifs, question marks and uncertainties with literally every option, the situation was crying out for a pick from the gut, tbh.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, no problem with the Quiney pick myself. Probably wouldn't have been my pick as such but Top_Cat is spot on here; he's scored big runs the last two seasons on some really tricky pitches up against the new ball. Moreover he's always had that ability to lift his game to match the quality attacks; I know it was only a one dayer but I'll still never forget that innings against an all-international NSW bowling attack a few years back.

If he snicks off early both innings I won't be surprised (loves to snick off, does Bob) but he's got it in him to score runs against this attack if it's his day which is more than I think I could honestly say about most of the more favoured CW options.

Spikey

frankly i'm disappointed Steyn's spell today hasn't been uploaded. Rob's spending too much time on life

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This was the match in question.

Thought we were home tbh, then he just smashed us from nowhere. I was shattered but it was still so awesome, especially since he was very much a fringe state cricketer at that stage who had played a fair few games and done not much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
love seeing old nsw scorecards when instead of 6 bowlers it's 7-8 batsmen
Bree Lee had been promoted there so it's not as funky as it looks. Even back then we used to do weird things like roll with Nicholson or Hauritz at 7.

Spikey

cowan @ 7 still pretty funky

Nicholson still would have been batting too low