Page 154 of 482 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 2,296 to 2,310 of 7226

Thread: ***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hazsa19 View Post
    There's your problem
    Well how the **** are you meant to correct it if the umpire doesn't say anything?
    Exit pursuing a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    god taylor should be banned from talking about this sorta stuff
    I actually think he has somewhat of a point in half of what he's saying here.

Technology showed that batsmen were, semi-regularly, being dismissed off no balls. And of course we can't have that, so we've allowed technology to intervene in over-turning those decisions.

But when technology showed that batsmen should be given out lbw far more often than they are, what did we do? We moved the goalposts.

The law-makers seem intent on making the game more and more batsman-orientated. AFAIC, if you get hit in line with even part of off and the ball's going on to hit then you should be on yer way, sonny. No excuses on a pitch like this. If we're going to use technology to apply the law to its finest degree, which I don't really have a problem with, it should go both ways rather than moving the goalposts for batsmen and not bowlers.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 12-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Well how the **** are you meant to correct it if the umpire doesn't say anything?
    People on this forum have been saying for what seems like years that the players get too close to the line, the commentators are always talking about it.

You're telling me that modern cricket teams with their entourage and various technical paraphernalia need an umpire to tell them that bowlers are getting close to the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Just think, if we'd bowled them out for zero we'd still be struggling

There's the problem
    Bit hard to tell you're bowling a couple of no balls every over if they only bother checking when you take a wicket though. If he'd been called three times in his first over he might've adjusted a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Bit hard to tell you're bowling a couple of no balls every over if they only bother checking when you take a wicket though. If he'd been called three times in his first over he might've adjusted a bit.
    I don't think it's specific to this match. I'm surprised bowling coaches around the world aren't making it a priority for their bowlers to be well behind the line.

People on this forum have been saying for what seems like years that the players get too close to the line, the commentators are always talking about it.

You're telling me that modern cricket teams with their entourage and various technical paraphernalia need an umpire to tell them that bowlers are getting close to the line?
    That's his bloody job in a match situation! If umpires can't seem to call no-balls accurately, then the whole system needs to be automated imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    That's his bloody job in a match situation! If umpires can't seem to call no-balls accurately, then the whole system needs to be automated imo.
    I agree with you there, but the bowlers and their support teams should have sorted this problem out by now imo.

theres a number of ways to approach the problem, but we can all agree it's not improved the game the way it is now.

none of the noeys have been howlers either
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    none of the noeys have been howlers either

Gun.

The worst thing about this whole no-ball thing is simply the fact it really detracts from the game from a viewer and player pov. It's just not very fun, even if it involves the opposition, to have your emotions toyed with like that. It's plain annoying.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    The worst thing about this whole no-ball thing is simply the fact it really detracts from the game from a viewer and player pov. It's just not very fun, even if it involves the opposition, to have your emotions toyed with like that. It's plain annoying.
    Atleast its prevented batsmen from being given out wrongly.
    i have zero sympathy with the bowlers on this issue. Just be safe and land your foot a good few inches behind the line, its not difficult... the new rule has led to some inconsistency but itll definitely lead to bowling coaches being tighter on no-balls. Comparing this with the lbw drs rule is quite ridiculous coz theres a good deal of uncertainty involved in an lbw, and the benefit of the doubt has to go to the batsmen. Theres virtually no uncertainty in a no-ball ...either you're over the line or you're not. simple as

ha it's amazing how good this Australian side looks on paper now. Two openers who average 40, 3 middle order bats who average over 50 and a keeper who averages 43. Then an entire bowling attack averaging under 30. We're world beaters again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
    ha it's amazing how good this Australian side looks on paper now. Two openers who average 40, 3 middle order bats who average over 50 and a keeper who averages 43. Then an entire bowling attack averaging under 30. We're world beaters again.
    Hmm, "great on paper" is not how I'd describe the current top three.

Middle order has always looked killer on paper, though.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Hmm I seemed to have conveniently left out Quiney.

Thread Information