• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Get Hussey his hundred, then go nuts for an hour or two, get as far ahead as possible.

It'll have to go to the wire if we're gonna win it, imo our bowlers will struggle to get them out in time, but it's worth a crack.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tell you what, this pitch isn't quite as docile as it seems. A fair few balls have seamed a fair amount and the bounce looks a little questionable.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basically the equation is get 150 (or so) runs as quickly as possible. Australia should be capable of that in 20 overs if you accept that they have two bites at it. In these conditions it's hard to stop anyone scoring 6 an over if they can keep taking risks and there's no pressure. Taking it down to about 100 needed in the second innings should be fine - so really there's no need to be pissing about now. But as always Test teams in the modern age refuse to go into death overs mode, later on Australia will barely bowl their overs any quicker than normal.

This is one that bugs me about Test cricket. Teams generally do not drag every percentage point out of a situation - I have no idea why. If it was baseball the coaches would be screaming at them.

watson

Banned
Get Hussey his hundred, then go nuts for an hour or two, get as far ahead as possible.

It'll have to go to the wire if we're gonna win it, imo our bowlers will struggle to get them out in time, but it's worth a crack.
Winning would be great but I think that the point of the 5th day should be to dent the confidence of the South African's top order and make a statement leading into the second Test. Smith, Amla, and Kallis out for a ducks, or not much, would be spot-on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think six an over is that easy at the moment. Sure it can happen and they are looking to bat aggressively but still the pitch is doing a fair bit and there is a ring field.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Winning would be great but I think that the point of the 5th day should be to dent the confidence of the South African's top order and make a statement leading into the second Test. Smith, Amla, and Kallis out for a ducks, or not much, would be spot-on.
It's winnable from here. Very winnable. 200 in front before lunch will make it very interesting.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If we get Smith, Amla and Kallis out for ducks we really should win. Those 3 batsman should last for as long as the other 7 IMO.

AB will be tired keeping all this time (and coming out to bat at 3 for hardly anything), Duminy out, 4 bowlers - we'd win if we get the 3 key batsman out very cheaply.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think six an over is that easy at the moment. Sure it can happen and they are looking to bat aggressively but still the pitch is doing a fair bit and there is a ring field.
Then why isn't it?

If this was a limited overs scenario they wouldn't 'settle' for this, so why do it in a Test match?

This mentality drives me up the wall. Maximise your chance of winning the bloody game. Throw all traditions and other baggage out of the window.