• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2012/13

SeamUp

International Coach
Another cracking advert for 4-day Sunfoil Series cricket bewtween the Cobras and Warriors with the Cobras pulling through by 18 runs with no scores over 300. The 2nd game that has seen 4 innings in the 200's this season.

Just such a pity that two 4-day games have been abandoned by rain this season.

Also highlight of the amateur Provincial was 17 year-old wonder Jurie Snyman scoring 76* off 44 balls on his debut for Easterns v Namibia. Even more pedigree than Quinton De Kock.

SeamUp

International Coach
SUNFOIL SERIES LOG

Pos Team ..........................................P..W..L..D..NR..PTS
1 Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras ....3 2 0 0 1 40.78
2 Chevrolet Warriors....................3 1 1 1 0 29.92
3 Sunfoil Dolphins.......................3 0 1 1 1 20.18
4 Chevrolet Knights.....................3 0 0 1 2 19.68
5 bizhub Highveld Lions...............2 1 1 0 0 19.50
6 Nashua Titans..........................2 0 1 1 0 13.32

Good start by the Cobras. Warriors starting off well in a competition they have struggled in for a while. Knights and Dolphins have been hurt by weather. Lions and Titans should be at the top end with the Cobras by the season's end most probably.

Just one fixture this week: Dolphins v Cobras in Pietermaritzburg. Hopefully no rain.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
PAUL ADAMS and the COBRAS beliefs on the 4-day series this season and how it worked last weekend for them.

Adams prepared to lose in order to win

For over a century of first-class and test cricket it was the primary duty of captains to avoid defeat before contemplating the chance of victory.

However, in the last few years, captains have been prepared to lose a match in order to win it. The Cobras’ thrilling victory over the Warriors last weekend was a wonderful example of this.

Paul Adams’ men find themselves at the summit of the Sunfoil Series log after winning two of their first three matches.

The most recent of those results was a thrilling 18-run victory over the Chevrolet Warriors in Paarl. Adams had no hesitation in confirming that it was his team’s policy before the season to “go for the win” whenever they could and to “keep opposition sides interested”.

“It’s important to always believe you can win the match,” Adams told supersport.com.

The Warriors held a slender advantage of just four runs after the first two innings – 266 all out to the Cobras' 262.

Alistair Gray’s knock of 125, accompanied by Stiaan van Zyl’s 75, helped the Cobras to 282 for five at the close of play on the third day.

Adams said that a few of the Cobras players believed they had enough runs to declare overnight but he and Cobras captain, Justin Ontong, thought a target of 300 was more realistic.

“We thought about the overall match run-rate and also wanted a second new ball if we needed it late on day four,” Adams said.

Ontong and Adams decided not to declare overnight and added an extra 15 runs on the final morning before declaring at 297 for eight, setting the Warriors 294 for victory in 90 overs.

Adams admits to be worried by the Warriors' flying start: “They were cruising, but we knew if we bowled in good areas and got their key batsman out, we would win the match”.

The Cobras coach admits to being “stressed” at tea with the opposition apparently in complete control at 205 for three needing just 89 further runs with seven wickets in hand.

“We decided just to swing the bowlers around after tea and it seemed to do the trick”. The Cobras went on to bowl them out for 275.

Would the novice coach be so bold again? “Yes, it’s important to win matches early on in the four-day season so you’re not playing catch-up later on.

"The risk makes it all worth it – you just have to have the players to do it, which we do. We have our strategy in place and sometimes games fall into our laps, other times we have to work hard for it.”

The future of four-day cricket looks bright for South African cricket if Adams’ theory of being prepared to lose a match in order to stand a chance to win continues, and it seems it will.

“The young players in the side can learn from experiences like this (Warriors match) and it can help turn them into real thinking cricketers.”

Spooony

Banned
Paul Adams is **** and I don't know what the feck is he doing coaching a franchise. Oh wait the previous guys released Tsolikele because he was crap........

Spooony

Banned
How about this lol

CSA Provincial Three-Day Competition, South Western Districts v Western Province at Oudtshoorn, Oct 18-20, 2012

Western Province 141 & 15/9 (14.2 ov)

South Western Districts 229

What the f%$? Is that the Cobra's B team lol

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How about this lol

CSA Provincial Three-Day Competition, South Western Districts v Western Province at Oudtshoorn, Oct 18-20, 2012

Western Province 141 & 15/9 (14.2 ov)

South Western Districts 229

What the f%$? Is that the Cobra's B team lol
Marcello Piedt was 7/5 in this innings.

... on First Class debut.

Not bad.

ajdude

International Coach
what? it's his first class debut, he has bowled 9 overs, 5 maidens, taken 7/5, purely stating facts

i realise it's only the provincial three-day competition and wpr are severely undermanned, but what's there to 'umm' about? as i said, only facts

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
what? it's his first class debut, he has bowled 9 overs, 5 maidens, taken 7/5, purely stating facts

i realise it's only the provincial three-day competition and wpr are severely undermanned, but what's there to 'umm' about? as i said, only facts
I was 'umming' at the fact that I made pretty much the exact same post right before you did.

SeamUp

International Coach
Paul Adams is **** and I don't know what the feck is he doing coaching a franchise. Oh wait the previous guys released Tsolikele because he was crap........
Iinitially had some reservations about 'Gogs' but they are playing a top quality brand of cricket at the Cobras and top of the log in the 4-day series.

With reference to the WP batting. Obviously there is the Cobras top 6 playing in Pietermaritzburg right now without Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis and Jean-Paul Duminy.

The best batsmen in the WP batting line-up is Rory's cousin, Matthew, number 4 Qaasim Adams who is pushing for a spot in the Cobras top 6. The other batsman to watch is Michael Pote but not sure why he didn't travel to Oudsthoorn.

Also SWD cricket is on the up. Not really a cricket area but are now part of the Chevrolet Warriors catchment area. They are spending some big money on their academy and a player like this Marcello Piedt has come through from it and they've also purchased a few experienced players from other Provincial unions.

Last edited:

Spooony

Banned
SWD is also part of the Cobra franchise which I take they don't use much off.

Cobra's played the same brand of cricket before Gogga took over. I hope he stays away from the bowling as a blindman can bowl accurate than he could ever bowl. They just appointed him to make sure the Cobra's do not defy the government again in dropping a 32 year old has been.

SeamUp

International Coach
SWD is also part of the Cobra franchise which I take they don't use much off.

Cobra's played the same brand of cricket before Gogga took over. I hope he stays away from the bowling as a blindman can bowl accurate than he could ever bowl. They just appointed him to make sure the Cobra's do not defy the government again in dropping a 32 year old has been.
SWD is just part of the Warriors franchise. ( Border, SWD & EP). They need it more than us because Border cricket has gone to the dogs. The Cobras franchise just feeds off WP & Boland.

Paul Adams got a lot of stick and I gave it to him when they carried on too long with him as a player but you can't deny that he put stats on the board as a test cricket spinner that many SA spinners will be happy about. I've also listened to a lot of his interviews and his vision for Cobras cricket is really good and maybe sometimes coaches all around the world are too much straigh up-and-down. You feel Paul Adams won't over-coach and do the same things and he will let players express themselves. He was that sort of cricketer who the famous Eddie Barlow spotted bowling the frog in the blender stuff.

EDIT: He also has all the relevant coaching badges but more importantly has done work with the WP academy in the last few years and knows the youth coming through the system as well.

Eventhough the Cobras have been successful for some time. We got pipped by the Titans last year in the 4-day stuff and he is maintaining our levels from the last few seasons..if not uping it to make sure the Titans don't pip us again.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
They've also got to take into account when will new young coaches be bled into the system. Our system has had some good experienced coaches its produced. Over the last few years Mickey Arthur has come through from the Warriors to the Proteas, to Australia. More recently we've lost Richard Pybus to Bangladesh, Graham Ford to Sri Lanka and Dave Nosworthy who has been linked stongly with the New Zealand job on a few ocassions. I like Nosworthy and hope he gets a job soon.

New young coaches like Paul Adams, Lance Klusener, Geoffrey Toyana, Piet Botha and Sarel Cilliers are in the system now with a foreigner in Matt Maynard. Its a good mix.

Spooony

Banned
SWD is just part of the Warriors franchise. ( Border, SWD & EP). They need it more than us because Border cricket has gone to the dogs. The Cobras franchise just feeds off WP & Boland.

Paul Adams got a lot of stick and I gave it to him when they carried on too long with him as a player but you can't deny that he put stats on the board as a test cricket spinner that many SA spinners will be happy about. I've also listened to a lot of his interviews and his vision for Cobras cricket is really good and maybe sometimes coaches all around the world are too much straigh up-and-down. You feel Paul Adams won't over-coach and do the same things and he will let players express themselves. He was that sort of cricketer who the famous Eddie Barlow spotted bowling the frog in the blender stuff.

EDIT: He also has all the relevant coaching badges but more importantly has done work with the WP academy in the last few years and knows the youth coming through the system as well.

Eventhough the Cobras have been successful for some time. We got pipped by the Titans last year in the 4-day stuff and he is maintaining our levels from the last few seasons..if not uping it to make sure the Titans don't pip us again.
I know in Rugby they made SWD part of the Kings franchise but dunno if its so in crciket as SWD is situated in the Western Cape. If Border gone to **** or not that is Ali Bachers problem not mine.

As for Paul Adams he was the same guy who Bob Woolmer said bowled 1 good ball and 5 four balls and never ever got his accuracy right. Paul couldn't get in his head that spin is nothing and will never bother a batsman without flight especially at that pace. Let me remind you of this guy who acted like two years he was coaching a national team until it was discovered he was just making silly remarks in the media and that the seniors of the team was really coaching them...

Marius

International Debutant
I know in Rugby they made SWD part of the Kings franchise but dunno if its so in crciket as SWD is situated in the Western Cape. If Border gone to **** or not that is Ali Bachers problem not mine.

As for Paul Adams he was the same guy who Bob Woolmer said bowled 1 good ball and 5 four balls and never ever got his accuracy right. Paul couldn't get in his head that spin is nothing and will never bother a batsman without flight especially at that pace. Let me remind you of this guy who acted like two years he was coaching a national team until it was discovered he was just making silly remarks in the media and that the seniors of the team was really coaching them...
FFS, give Adams a chance before you compare him to Snor.

Oh yes, they are both coloured, that must mean they will both be rubbish coaches

8-)