• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2012/13

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'd like to see Davey opening the batting with Arno at 6. Michael Price missing out, don't know all that much about him either itbt. I say this every season but I really want to get to watch some matches this season. Usually only get to watch the T20s because my friends go to them for the social value.

I don't rate Meyer as quality, but he's competent. Never going to set the world alight, but consistent enough to plug a hole in a bowling line up.

I get the feeling that Gqamane will get pushed into the team before he is ready/deserves it. Black talent seems to be revered in Warrior land - every decent black bowler gets touted as "the next Ntini."

MrPrez

International Debutant
I wouldn't say its shocking tbh as its basically 2nd XI cricket like everywhere else. A lot of players who have done well in that cricket have gone into franchise cricket and thrived.

The only place I know of that seperates averages for all the teams you play for is Cricket Archive. Not sure if there is anywhere else.
I'd say it's better than 2nd XI cricket tbh. Think about it - the old system would have had lots of these guys playing at a level considered at least equal to NZ etc.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
But if he can do well in the longer form why not promote him early like they did with Boucher? Australia is playing some people in ill-suited forms of the game. It would certainly ease the burden on AB. You'd have to back him to do as well as keeper and AB's runs dried up somewhat in the tests against England partly perhaps because of his keeping duties.
QdK much closer to the sook end of the spectrum than a young Boucher I felt. (Very harsh impression for someone going great guns so young, I admit). England U19 decided he could be hurried up and got to, quite a good tussle.

Reece Topley & Jamie Overton vs. Quinton de Kock - YouTube

Quinton de Kock, 50 vs. New Zealand U19 - YouTube

SeamUp

International Coach
DOLPHINS TEAM LAUNCH this morning

Front Row (left to right): Brett Edwards (Physiotherapist), Craig Alexander, Daryn Smit (Captain),Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Cody Chetty, Keshav Maharaj, Khaya Zondo , Jonathan Vandiar and Divan Van Wyk. Back Row (left to right): Rivash Gobind (Assistant Coach), Cameron Delport, Robbie Frylinck, David Miller, Kyle Abbott, Calvin Savage, Prenelan Subrayen, Ahmed Amla, Imraan Khan, Lance Klusener (Head Coach), Dane Paterson and Zafar Azmuth (Performance Trainer)

Obviously no Hashim Amla & Lonwabo Tsotsobe with the SA side. Ahmed Amla not in same gear as the rest sends me the picture he won't be involved as much but just a senior figure within the union now. Not sure where Shezi is either. Good to see SA U19 players Calvin Savage & Prenelan Subrayen. Not long before SA u19 captain Chad Bowes joins as he is training with the Dolphins.

Attachments

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Dolphins squad for season opener for them v Lions at the Wanderers.

1. Divan Van Wyk
2. Imraan Khan
3. Jonathan Vandiar
4. Vaughn Van Jaarsveld
5. Cody Chetty
6. David Miller
7. Daryn Smit (*) (+)
8. Robbie Frylinck
9. Kyle Abbott
10. Prenelan Subrayen
11. Craig Alexander

12th Dane Paterson

Batsmen Khaya Zondo & Cam Delport miss out. Bowes pushing soon. Maharaj misses out as spinner to Subrayen. Not sure where Shezi is so next in line would be Savage.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I'd like to see Davey opening the batting with Arno at 6. Michael Price missing out, don't know all that much about him either itbt. I say this every season but I really want to get to watch some matches this season. Usually only get to watch the T20s because my friends go to them for the social value.

I don't rate Meyer as quality, but he's competent. Never going to set the world alight, but consistent enough to plug a hole in a bowling line up.

I get the feeling that Gqamane will get pushed into the team before he is ready/deserves it. Black talent seems to be revered in Warrior land - every decent black bowler gets touted as "the next Ntini."
Haven't seen M.Price myself either as mainly used as an opener in 4-day game last season. They could go that route and open with Davy and bring in Arno. Succession planning will hopefully see White eventually opening & Ackermann shifting into the middle order.

Hope when Gqamane gets the gig he shows he is his own man and does what he does and forgets about the whole Ntini thing. Same thing happening with Solo Nqweni who Ntini is doing work with.

Think a lot of the franchises are keeping senior figures to work with younger players. At the Cobras Langeveldt & Louw are working with the young bowlers in the region. Particularly Fortune & Young this off-season. The younger bowlers like Muller, Williams, Frylinck & Engelbrecht didn't spend a lot of time with the Cobras in pre-season if any as they were preparing for u19 WC at the SA academy in Pretoria.

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors squad for their first game of the season as expected.

The Chevrolet Warriors kick off their 2012/13 season in a match against the Nashua Titans in the Sunfoil 4 day series. This match gets underway at Axxess St George’s on Thursday 27 September at 10:00.

Davy Jacobs who was out of the team due to injury for most of last season is now fit and will lead the team again in their quest to improve their 4 day standings. The Chevrolet Warriors have not had much success in the longer version of the game and are hoping that their new approach will bear fruit.

The squad for the match is as follows: Michael Price, Davy Jacobs (Captain), Jon- Jon Smuts, Ashwell Prince, Colin Ingram, Kelly Smuts, Athi Dyili (w/k), Simon Harmer, Andrew Birch, Lyall Meyer, Basheer Walters, Aya Gqamane and Gurshwin Rabie.

“We have been putting in the time and hard work during the off season and are looking to see an improvement in our performance in this version of the game. The team are well prepared and now it’s time to get into the middle and perform” said coach Piet Botha.

SeamUp

International Coach
The two most famous school cricket weeks (The Michaelmas Cricket Week & The Cape Schools Cricket Week) start this weekend.

Here is a Preview of the Michaelmas Week with former players both South Africa & International who have played at the week. New Zealand school Westlake are making their 2nd appearance after they participated in 2005 with Ross Taylor in their team.

Cricket: Oppenheimer Week! History, Fixtures & Results

Quite a few surprising omissions in schools this year. No Kearsney College (Andrew Hudson & current SA U19 captain Chad Bowes school), No Westville Boys (former SA coach Micky Arthur & school of three current Dolphins contracted players), No Michaelhouse (Herby Taylor & Dale Benkensteins school in the Balgowan Hills near Pietermaritzburg), No St John's College from Jhb (Clive Rice's school and current Lions players Jean Symes & Devon Conway).

Hopefully there will be a preview for the Cape Schools Cricket week soon. Obviously some huge schools from the Western cape & Eastern Cape there. Wynberg Boys, Rondebosch Boys, Bishops, SACS, Grey PE, Dale College, Selborne College, Queens College etc.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
Judging by their rugby season this year, Selborne are having a terrible year sports-wise. Wouldn't be surprised if they struggle.

SeamUp

International Coach
Judging by their rugby season this year, Selborne are having a terrible year sports-wise. Wouldn't be surprised if they struggle.
Well all three Border schools struggled...particularly Queens & Dale. You've got to wonder if Boucher & Ntini will be the last Border boys to play for South Africa. Certainly will be for a long time in my opinion.

SeamUp

International Coach
Big decision made by the Cobras to keep Justin Kemp in the team especially as in the shoot-out with Qaasim Adams for Western province last week he scored 17 & Adams got 147. Kemp was out for 11 today for the Cobras.

Paul Adams doing some good things at my team. Smart move to keep Langeveldt & Louw on contracts to guide through the young fast bowlers in the region. Travis Muller impressing hugely for WP & Brendan Young at 6ft4 has quite a bit of gas and is raw. Lizaad Williams of Boland who played in the u19 WC is a decent limited overs strike bowler & impressive Jan Frylinck is out of school this year. Looks promising as with Kleinveldt getting a first call-up and Vernon & Dale away much of the time it only leaves 22 year-old Beuran Hendricks and the two old pro's.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
For the players out of school from last u19 batch : De Kock & Subrayen already in their franchise teams. Also good to see Muller, Nqweni, Savage & Williams doing well for their amateur sides already first year out of school. Bowes & Cloete got good scores last week for their teams. Hopefully Theunis De Bruyn will be picked for the Northerns amateur side as well. Ngoepe of Easterns who is a Titans rookie starts Easterns as well.

Obviously the star 18 year olds have matric finals still in Pillay (who was Batsmen of Michaelmas Week), Rosier, Bedingham, Muthusamy, Moore, Frylinck, Kirsten & Dupavillon. Some of which have played for the amateur side already.

17 year-old batting machine, Jurie Snyman will debut for the Easterns Amateur team this Sunday in the 1-day game vs Namibia. Been far too good for the men's club leg last season when 16/17 and started of this school season with 3 hundreds of which two were 150 +

Some good footage here of some of the players from the recent Cape Schools Cricket Week or Michalemas Week (The two most famous school cricket weeks in SAF).

David Bedingham

David Bedingham 106 v Selborne College - YouTube

Affies v Maritzburg College (Speak to the captains of the two teams Gareth Orr & Leus Du Plooy who people rate as the next star out of Affies) But on about 3 minutes 25 secs Orr speaks about star bowler Daryn Dupavillon and you see he his run up and delivery stride which is so rythmical.

Michaelmas Cricket Week - Maritzburg College v Affies Highlights - YouTube

SeamUp

International Coach
Day two abandoned in PMB. Might as well call the game-off haha. Two abandoned games for Knights and the rain is following the Dolphins around for two seasons now.

In Paarl the Warriors are 210/5 after Cobras were bowled out for 262. Warriors batting slowly as don't want to ahve to chase too much batting last on a slow-lowy.

Gray top scored for the Cobras with 67. Parnell & Birch with 2 wickests each and JJ Smuts rapped things up with 3 wickets. Like the fact that the Warriors made the brave decision to back young Kelly Smuts and leaving out 35 year old Arno Jacobs. Kelly going well with the bat and is a decent seam-bowler so a young all-rounder with potential. Ingram out for 80.

SeamUp

International Coach
As I talk Kelly out for 32 : Caught and bowled Philander

And Parnell out bowled first ball.

Vernon on a hattrick

EDIT: Good length ball to Harmer that he leaves. So no hattrick.

Last edited: