Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Domestic Season 2012/13

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Really pleased to see de Kock do so well. Really want South Africa to bring him in soon, as I don't think de Villiers keeping is a good long term option.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    No, SuperSport (4 day games) haven't been covered in years.

Separate note, South African domestic 20/20 will now be shown on UK TV as part of Sky's new deal with CSA.
    Oh sweet. The Big Bash league is also being covered on Sky this winter as well,
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah, Tsotsobe has a habit of being a bit of a contract-based badboy. Essex, for example.

Is Rabie really expected to play ahead of Meyer? Barely know anything about him (as is with most of the non-regulars in the squad as they're almost all EP players). Gqamane is pretty highly rated here in the Border - iirc he bowls mid/high 130s and swings it nicely. I may be wrong but I think he is a player that has been focused on big-time in terms of developing him into a quality player due to his race (although I doubt that will be the official statement). Will be interesting, definitely.

An in-form Davy Jacobs will be a vital cog in the batting line-up. Reckon Dyili should keep as it gives Jacobs less of a workload (and we need to keep him as fresh as possible).
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Yeah, Tsotsobe has a habit of being a bit of a contract-based badboy. Essex, for example.

Is Rabie really expected to play ahead of Meyer? Barely know anything about him (as is with most of the non-regulars in the squad as they're almost all EP players). Gqamane is pretty highly rated here in the Border - iirc he bowls mid/high 130s and swings it nicely. I may be wrong but I think he is a player that has been focused on big-time in terms of developing him into a quality player due to his race (although I doubt that will be the official statement). Will be interesting, definitely.

An in-form Davy Jacobs will be a vital cog in the batting line-up. Reckon Dyili should keep as it gives Jacobs less of a workload (and we need to keep him as fresh as possible).
    Its surprising because he doesn't seem to come across like that in interviews.

They backing Rabie. Brought him in from SWD and is a better bowler than Meyer. I'm hoping they ditch Meyer tbh don't rate him. Outside of Parnell & Theron I hope they go Birch, Rabie, Walters, Gqamane & Nqweni.

Thats good to hear about Gqamane. Coach Piet Botha said he will push big time this year and he is happy with his progression as well as Kelly Smuts & Simon Harmer.

I think they have to go Dyili keeper.

Probable team:

Michael Price
    Kelly Smuts
    JJ Smuts
    Ashwell Prince
    Colin Ingram
    Davy Jacobs (*)
    Athi Dyili (+)
    Simon Harmer
    Andrew Birch
    Gurshwin Rabie
    Basheer Walters

12th: Meyer or Gqamane

White, Ackermann, A.Jacobs & Thyssen miss out as batsmen.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Could anyone link me with a place where I can view the franchise averages of all the current South African players careers? The FC ones on their Cricinfo profiles include the, apparently shocking standard, 3 day cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Could anyone link me with a place where I can view the franchise averages of all the current South African players careers? The FC ones on their Cricinfo profiles include the, apparently shocking standard, 3 day cricket.
    I wouldn't say its shocking tbh as its basically 2nd XI cricket like everywhere else. A lot of players who have done well in that cricket have gone into franchise cricket and thrived.

The only place I know of that seperates averages for all the teams you play for is Cricket Archive. Not sure if there is anywhere else.

I'd like to see Davey opening the batting with Arno at 6. Michael Price missing out, don't know all that much about him either itbt. I say this every season but I really want to get to watch some matches this season. Usually only get to watch the T20s because my friends go to them for the social value.

I don't rate Meyer as quality, but he's competent. Never going to set the world alight, but consistent enough to plug a hole in a bowling line up.

I get the feeling that Gqamane will get pushed into the team before he is ready/deserves it. Black talent seems to be revered in Warrior land - every decent black bowler gets touted as "the next Ntini."

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    I wouldn't say its shocking tbh as its basically 2nd XI cricket like everywhere else. A lot of players who have done well in that cricket have gone into franchise cricket and thrived.

The only place I know of that seperates averages for all the teams you play for is Cricket Archive. Not sure if there is anywhere else.
    I'd say it's better than 2nd XI cricket tbh. Think about it - the old system would have had lots of these guys playing at a level considered at least equal to NZ etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    But if he can do well in the longer form why not promote him early like they did with Boucher? Australia is playing some people in ill-suited forms of the game. It would certainly ease the burden on AB. You'd have to back him to do as well as keeper and AB's runs dried up somewhat in the tests against England partly perhaps because of his keeping duties.
    QdK much closer to the sook end of the spectrum than a young Boucher I felt. (Very harsh impression for someone going great guns so young, I admit). England U19 decided he could be hurried up and got to, quite a good tussle.

Reece Topley & Jamie Overton vs. Quinton de Kock - YouTube

Quinton de Kock, 50 vs. New Zealand U19 - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    QdK much closer to the sook end of the spectrum than a young Boucher I felt. (Very harsh impression for someone going great guns so young, I admit). England U19 decided he could be hurried up and got to, quite a good tussle.

Reece Topley & Jamie Overton vs. Quinton de Kock - YouTube

Quinton de Kock, 50 vs. New Zealand U19 - YouTube
    Some nice balls to de Kock in that first one.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

As always, cheers for the updates

DOLPHINS TEAM LAUNCH this morning

Front Row (left to right): Brett Edwards (Physiotherapist), Craig Alexander, Daryn Smit (Captain),Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Cody Chetty, Keshav Maharaj, Khaya Zondo , Jonathan Vandiar and Divan Van Wyk. Back Row (left to right): Rivash Gobind (Assistant Coach), Cameron Delport, Robbie Frylinck, David Miller, Kyle Abbott, Calvin Savage, Prenelan Subrayen, Ahmed Amla, Imraan Khan, Lance Klusener (Head Coach), Dane Paterson and Zafar Azmuth (Performance Trainer)

Obviously no Hashim Amla & Lonwabo Tsotsobe with the SA side. Ahmed Amla not in same gear as the rest sends me the picture he won't be involved as much but just a senior figure within the union now. Not sure where Shezi is either. Good to see SA U19 players Calvin Savage & Prenelan Subrayen. Not long before SA u19 captain Chad Bowes joins as he is training with the Dolphins.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SeamUp; 25-09-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Dolphins squad for season opener for them v Lions at the Wanderers.

1. Divan Van Wyk
    2. Imraan Khan
    3. Jonathan Vandiar
    4. Vaughn Van Jaarsveld
    5. Cody Chetty
    6. David Miller
    7. Daryn Smit (*) (+)
    8. Robbie Frylinck
    9. Kyle Abbott
    10. Prenelan Subrayen
    11. Craig Alexander

12th Dane Paterson

Batsmen Khaya Zondo & Cam Delport miss out. Bowes pushing soon. Maharaj misses out as spinner to Subrayen. Not sure where Shezi is so next in line would be Savage.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 25-09-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I'd like to see Davey opening the batting with Arno at 6. Michael Price missing out, don't know all that much about him either itbt. I say this every season but I really want to get to watch some matches this season. Usually only get to watch the T20s because my friends go to them for the social value.

I don't rate Meyer as quality, but he's competent. Never going to set the world alight, but consistent enough to plug a hole in a bowling line up.

I get the feeling that Gqamane will get pushed into the team before he is ready/deserves it. Black talent seems to be revered in Warrior land - every decent black bowler gets touted as "the next Ntini."
    Haven't seen M.Price myself either as mainly used as an opener in 4-day game last season. They could go that route and open with Davy and bring in Arno. Succession planning will hopefully see White eventually opening & Ackermann shifting into the middle order.

Hope when Gqamane gets the gig he shows he is his own man and does what he does and forgets about the whole Ntini thing. Same thing happening with Solo Nqweni who Ntini is doing work with.

Think a lot of the franchises are keeping senior figures to work with younger players. At the Cobras Langeveldt & Louw are working with the young bowlers in the region. Particularly Fortune & Young this off-season. The younger bowlers like Muller, Williams, Frylinck & Engelbrecht didn't spend a lot of time with the Cobras in pre-season if any as they were preparing for u19 WC at the SA academy in Pretoria.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Ta for the brilliant footage as always Kippax.

Thats how I remember him when I saw him a year or two ago in a school fixture. A bit of gas and angling the ball into the right-hander and away from the left-hander.

Kepler Wessels while commentating on the game was quite impressed.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 26-09-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information