• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2012/13

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Hume looks likely to step up to Franchise cricket. He's been doing rather well in the amateur stuff.

SeamUp

International Coach
There are still two days left in the Cubs Week till SA u19 selection for England u19 tour (2 tests and 5 ODI's) but I reckon I know the best group from which the squad will be picked. Probably find the the u19 CWC on 2014 will be picked from here as well. Not including the 15 & 16 year-olds like Murray Commins (batsman), Sibonelo Makhanya(batsman), Dayyaan Galiem (all-rounder), Sohail Mahmoud (leg-spin) & Dyllan Matthews (leg-spin) who to me are the best in the country in those age groups and could make that WC squad.

Obviously Subrayen & Nqweni have issues with their actions now and only playing in the Cubs Week as batsman. If Subrayen didn't have this problem he wouldn't even be at the Cubs Week, he would be playing for the Dolphins senior team.

Koekemoer & Dupavillon are missing the Cubs Week with injuries but Dupavillon has been carrying the drinks for the Dolphins senior team for the last two weeks in Durban. Klusener already getting him around the group.

Players in bold also eligible for 2014 u19 CWC

BATSMEN & KEEPER

COBRAS: Hayes Van der Berg (18), David Bedingham (18) (capt), Jason Smith (18), Clyde Fortuin (17) (w-k)
DOLPHINS: Senuran Muthusamy (18) (capt), Greg Oldfield (17)
KNIGHTS: Andries Gous (19), Diego Rosier (18) (capt), Vasili Orros (18)
LIONS: Wesley Coulentianos (18), Yaseen Valli (17), Shaylen Pillay (18) (capt), Bradley Dial (17)
TITANS: Tian Koekemoer (18), Murray Coetzee (19) (capt), Jurie Snyman (17)

SPINNERS

WARRIORS: Shaakir Abrahams (18)
DOLPHINS: Kyle Simmonds (18)

SEAMERS

COBRAS: Lizaad Williams (19), Jan Frylinck (18)
WARRIORS: Anrich Nortje (19), Ngazibini Sigwili (17)
DOLPHINS: Craig Kirsten (18), Daryn Dupavillon (18)
LIONS: Kagiso Rabada (17)
TITANS: Vincent Moore (18), Corbin Bosch (18)

SeamUp

International Coach
Hume looks likely to step up to Franchise cricket. He's been doing rather well in the amateur stuff.
No matter how well he does at amateur level they have gone to a 35 year old Garnett Kruger, Dieter Klein, Pumelela Matshikwe & Ethan O'Reilly before him.

Also brought in the impressive Hardus Viljoen from the Titans. Titans will rue that one.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
About 8 years, so I try and follow both countries as close as I can.
I noticed you knew about a few New Zealand issues with Cachopa and that, that's why I asked.

Pity you can't get footage of our domestic stuff through the internet over there.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
How do you think that team rates with past Under 19 teams? I have heard of most of them thanks to you, but who are the players to watch out for of the lot?

What I saw of Murray Coetzee at the last World Cup I was really impressed with, looked a pretty composed player. Lizaad Williams also performed quite well, and seems to be doing a good job for the Cobras senior team.

Would like to see Galiem there as a bolter, from what you have said about him, and how his debut went for the WP under 19, he seems to be quite a talent.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
I noticed you knew about a few New Zealand issues with Cachopa and that, that's why I asked.

Pity you can't get footage of our domestic stuff through the internet over there.
Yeah it is a shame, would love to be able to watch some of the younger guys performing in domestic. Found a way to watch Supersport TV online, but they don't seem to be showing much/any domestic cricket at the moment.

SeamUp

International Coach
How do you think that team rates with past Under 19 teams? I have heard of most of them thanks to you, but who are the players to watch out for of the lot?

What I saw of Murray Coetzee at the last World Cup I was really impressed with, looked a pretty composed player. Lizaad Williams also performed quite well, and seems to be doing a good job for the Cobras senior team.

Would like to see Galiem there as a bolter, from what you have said about him, and how his debut went for the WP under 19, he seems to be quite a talent.
I think it will be a very good team. Take for example Quinton De Kock, he only made SA Colts as a 17 year old and SA Schools as a 18 year old while Rosier and Oldfield have made SA Schools at 17. There is some very good talent. That is just one example.

From the batting - I would watch out for Bedingham (an attacking player who oozes ability - I was astounded how well he times it when I saw him at Newlands on TV for Wynberg but needs to turn his 50's to 100's), Oldfield (all-round potential star batsman - big future - trains with KZN Inland senior team), Rosier (been in SA u19 side since 16 and SA Schools captain - played for Griquas seniors), Orros (Big boy who can hit a cricket ball and bowls decent leg-breaks), Valli (compact LHB in the top run charts in Mens club cricket in Gauteng for Old Eds), Pillay (SA u19 since 16 and good seam bowler, played for Gauteng senior), Koekemoer (CSA rural player of year & leading run scorer at Coke Week) & Snyman (hugely talented but just hasn't stepped up this summer when its mattered it seems, could & should have made SA Schools last year as 16 year old. Played for Easterns senior)

In the SA cricket mag, Coetzee says he is 2nd choice keeper for the Northerns mens amateur team. If keeping is his route I can't see him making it any time soon. Was also impressed by some of his knocks in the WC but hasn't stepped up at the Cubs Week yet.

I like Kyle Simmonds as a spinner. A steady left-armer. Out-bowled Subrayen often and can bat as well.

Obviously Williams like you mention. Frylinck is a name to watch as a left-arm swing bowler, can be devastating particularly with red ball, short and skiddy. Kirsten is about 6ft4 with pace and bounce, SA Schools two years in a row. Dupavillon likes a yorker and has has good pace with rhytmical action.

Probably have to mention the others but I'm most excited by those 4 quicks and Nqweni if he was eligible.

Nortje has gas thats all I know and was 12th man for SA Schools. Sigwili made SA Schools and is among the wickets as a left-armer. I've not been impressed with Moore eventhough he made WC squad, keeps running in but can only angle it across as a left-armer it seems. Bosch has been doing well and so has the gas-man Rabada but I haven't seen too much of them. So who know they could make the SA u19 squad.

I think it will be tough for a 15 year-old to produce the goods with the competition he has from 17, 18 & 19 year-olds at Cubs Week and hasn't really produced much. They've spoken about its mainly for him to gain experience going to the Coke Week and Cubs Week at 15.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah it is a shame, would love to be able to watch some of the younger guys performing in domestic. Found a way to watch Supersport TV online, but they don't seem to be showing much/any domestic cricket at the moment.
Ah thats good. Thats because its the 4-day stuff now, only do live updates on SuperSport Blitz but the T20's should be coming up soon. Not sure how far the international coverage is going with that. Know the UK will be getting it.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Wow SeamUp you really knw alot about this young guys. The biggest problem i have is that LO cricket is causing them to not progress especially the batsmen. If you look at a guy like vandiar he plays too many shots too soon. A guy like Reeza has stepped up because he tries and builds an innings and it does show that when in, he scores runs.

the spin department seems quite good with subrayen and the young guys coming into the scene. im quite hapoy they can hold a bat. in south africa i feel a spinner who does not bat can be useless sonetimes because of conditions. Is Rosier still bowling?or has he given that up?

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Will be definitely be looking out for the guys you mentioned SeamUp, hopefully through SuperSport and yourself, I'll be able to follow it. It is really amazing the amount of info you know about these guys coming through, guys like me who live on the other side of the globe really appreciate it. Keeps me aware of the on goings.

Will be looking forward to seeing Simmonds, as I was very impressed with Subrayen at the Under 19 WC. I have some knowledge on the guys you mentioned, mostly through your previous posts :laugh: and sa schools website/youtube. I remember seeing Bedingham record quite a few 50's, as well as Snyman who looks a brute of a kid. I too was not overly impressed with Moore, looked o.k but just average at the WC.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Also, I was wondering what is your opinion of Imran Tahir SeamUp? The guy got absolutely dominated in the tests he played, but now i see for the Lions he just took 12 wickets in one match. What's his deal?

SeamUp

International Coach
Wow SeamUp you really knw alot about this young guys. The biggest problem i have is that LO cricket is causing them to not progress especially the batsmen. If you look at a guy like vandiar he plays too many shots too soon. A guy like Reeza has stepped up because he tries and builds an innings and it does show that when in, he scores runs.

the spin department seems quite good with subrayen and the young guys coming into the scene. im quite hapoy they can hold a bat. in south africa i feel a spinner who does not bat can be useless sonetimes because of conditions. Is Rosier still bowling?or has he given that up?
Agree, no patience in the game anymore. Things need to be done on the fast forward constantly. Not saying Vandiar has too change his game too much as he is naturally agrressive but surely he has to get to a point and say I haven't been consistent, let me spend time at the crease and that may get the feel for scoring big scores on the go.

Just hope Subrayen can see through this action thing. Really don't think he throws the ball at all. He did dislocate his shoulder when he was younger and CSA said that was a complication.

Rosier doesn't seem to bowl much anymore. Hopefully he doesn't pack his leg-breaks away too much.

On Rabada, just know he had a good u17 week last year and did ok at the Coke week this year and got into the Colts team more on potential than actual results produced. Haven't seen him before but heard he has pace.

SeamUp

International Coach
Also, I was wondering what is your opinion of Imran Tahir SeamUp? The guy got absolutely dominated in the tests he played, but now i see for the Lions he just took 12 wickets in one match. What's his deal?
No problem on the above Sonnench.

Tahir dominates English and South African domestic cricket wicket wise but runs can still tend to flow. The selectors have told him to be more disciplined and work more on his stock delviery which is his leg-break but we've heard it all before. He just bowls to flat and doesn't spin the leg-break at all. To me he seems predictable.

Not sure if its a mental thing that he can't seem to step up like Jacques Rudolph who has done the same. Maybe his variations are better without the pressure ? I don't know.

We play Pakistan away just before our summer this year. Could possibly see him back in the squad there. We may be forced to do it as he has experience and may get one more crack.

Harmer isn't ready for test level, still learning his trade and its similar for the likes of Piedt & Leie. I'm hoping Subrayen gets over his issues and Kaber pushes through at the Titans but both far too young for SA talk still. I'm expecting Kyle Simmonds to make SA u19 so will monitor him if he does.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
CUBS WEEK

Day 4

TITANS 200 all out (Corbin Bosch 40, Vincent Moore 40, Bjorn Fortuin 3/43)
COBRAS 202/9 (David Bedingham 65, Jason Smith 26, Jan Frylinck 23*, Vincent Moore 2/46)
Cobras win by 1 wicket

WARRIORS 239/7 (Lloyd Brown 102*, Marco Marais 39, Vasili Orros 3/45, Patrick Kruger 2/18)
KNIGHTS 240/4 (Andries Gous 95*, GM Bruwer 40, Vasili Orros 36)
Knights win by 6 wickets

DOLPHINS 255/4 (Greg Oldfield 82 retired hurt, Mark Airey 79, Prenelan Subrayen 47*)
LIONS 247/8 (Bradley Dial 80, Lee Gruskin 73, Tshepo Moreki 3/33)
Dolphins win by 8 runs

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
Great to see Quinton de Kock has been called up to ODI squad. Now I have a reason to watch ODI cricket :)

SeamUp

International Coach
Before I start - Left-arm quick, Jan Frylinck's (18 - Boland Landbou - Cobras), injury has made him not available for either squads. Daryn Dupavillon & Greg Oldfield's injuries possibly effecting their chances of getting into the test squad.

CSA Youth Cricket Manager, Niels Momberg is pleased with the choices made this year, he said: "There will always kids who will be unlucky but I believe we have a good blend of senior and junior players. I believe the selectors chose the best possible side for the Test series and we have given some youngsters an opportunity that will prepare them for the ICC U19 World Cup next year from the ODI side."

Rosier, who was the Knights' captain during Cubs Week and the Coca-Cola Khaya Majola U19 Week, is excited to be back in the national squad and is thrilled to receive the captain's job as well.

"I was speechless when my name was announced along with the news that I would be captain. This is a huge honour and I feel so privileged to have earned the selectors' trust with such a big responsibility. I'm looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead, I know that there is a lot of work that needs to be done but I can't wait to get started," he said.

The SA U19s will host England from 23 January to 21 February 2013 in the Stellenbosch and Cape Town regions. It is the first step in the team's preparations for the World Cup in 2014 that will take place in Dubai.

13-man SA U19 test squad for the two tests @ Newlands & Boland Park.

Murray Coetzee (19) Pretoria Boys - Titans (LHB)

Andries Gous (19) Grey College - Knights (RHB)

Diego Rosier (18) Noordkaap - Knights (RHB, rls, CAPTAIN)

Shaylen Pillay (18) KES - Lions (RHB, right-arm seam)

David Bedingham (18) Wynberg Boys - Cobras (RHB)

Vasili Orros (18) Grey College - Knights (RHB, rls)

Clyde Fortuin (17) St Josephs - Cobras (RHB, w/k)

Michael Faasen (19) St Stithians - Titans (slow left-arm spinner, RHB)

Craig Kirsten (18) Kearsney College - Dolphins (Right-arm fast)

Vincent Moore (18) Springs Boys - Titans (Left-arm fast)

Lizaad Williams (19) Hugenote - Cobras (Right-arm fast)

Kagiso Rabada (17) St Stithians - Lions (Right-arm fast)

Ngazibini Sigwili (17) Hudson Park - Warriors (Left-arm seam)

15-man ODI squad for the 5-match ODI series

Murray Coetzee (19) Pretoria Boys - Titans (LHB)

Andries Gous (19) Grey College - Knights (RHB)

Diego Rosier (18) Noordkaap - Knights (RHB, rls, CAPTAIN)

Greg Oldfield (17) Michaelhouse - Dolphins (RHB, ros)

David Bedingham (18) Wynberg Boys - Cobras (RHB)

Bradley Dial (17) St Johns - Lions - (RHB, ros)

Jason Smith (18) Wynberg Boys - Cobras (RHB, right-arm seam)

Yaseen Valli (17) KES - Lions (LHB, sla)

Sine Ntshona (17) St Andrews Bloem - Knights (RHB, ros)

Clyde Fortuin (17) St Josephs - Cobras (RHB, w/k)

Corbin Bosch (18) Pretoria Boys - Titans (right-arm seam, RHB)

Lizaad Williams (19) Hugenote - Cobras (Right-arm fast)

Daryn Dupavillon (18) Maritzburg College - Dolphins (Right-arm fast)

Kagiso Rabada (17) St Stithians - Lions (Right-arm fast)

Ngazibini Sigwili (17) Hudson Park - Warriors (Left-arm seam)

* Names in bold eligible for u19 CWC in Dubai in February next year

Last edited: