• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ooh, footmarks so early? The ones Zaheer creates are going to cause problems for England.

Teja.

Global Moderator
In fairness, Swann got it to turn deeply thrice now and it's still the first session.

It's a pitch where spin is the best way to go and you have arguably the finest player of spin in the world in his element and Gambhir is a very good batsman against spin as well.

It's not even like the fast bowlers have been bowling well for no reward on a flat pitch. This sort of bowling would get you hit on 90% of pitches in the world.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is there a shortage of fielders in the point/gully area to Sehwag?
Well there are no slips in either so Cook doesn't want the bowlers bowling outside off at all. The idea must be to bowl straight, change it up and make him mis-hit one or get struck in front. I'd probably keep plugging away with a slip itbt but in the absence of that, you shouldn't have to over protect areas that the bowlers aren't meant to be bowling to.

hazsa19

International Regular
Well there are no slips in either so Cook doesn't want the bowlers bowling outside off at all. The idea must be to bowl straight, change it up and make him mis-hit one or get struck in front. I'd probably keep plugging away with a slip itbt but in the absence of that, you shouldn't have to over protect areas that the bowlers aren't meant to be bowling to.
Makes sense, but he squirts straight balls through the square on the off side

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
That last game at Ahmedabad vs the Kiwis in '10 - what did the pitch do?

All I can remember is Martin's spell on the fourth evening (?)

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
excellent session for India, gonna stay awake for the after lunch session, something I haven't done in a while.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year

The pitch didn't do anything, Martin's spell was more of India just panicking and just playing dumb shots (not to take anything away from Martin who bowled well), the pitch was actually pretty similar to this one, the turn was slow and low. It's kind of why Indian fans don't like Ahmedabad as a ground because it generally produces draws.

flibbertyjibber

Not a lot but has been relaid since and this is the first match on it I think they said at the start. Anybodies guess what might happen to it over the next few days.

Daemon

That was an amazing spell. Think it was the same match where we were saved thanks to a hundred from Harbhajan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Flaaaat. Martin bowled well in that innings but it was all just movement in the air with the new pill; when it got old Harbhajan hit a ton in that same innings. Sehwag made a really fast ton in the first innings, Williamson made a ton on debut and I think Ryder hit a pretty quick ton as well. There was some turn, but it was really slow turn - Williamson just played Harbhajan/Ojha off the back foot for the entirety of his innings.

Teja.

Global Moderator

IIRC, The pitch was as flat as it comes and extremely slow. It was not turning at all and did not look anywhere as likely to break down as this pitch. India just collapsed in the first innings after a Sehwag 170 due to terribly adventurous playing and the Martin spell came out of nowhere. By the time Harbhajan and Laxman were batting, the pitch was still extremely flat with no help for the bowlers.

It was as close to a 'draw pitch' as they come.

The Martin spell to reduce India to 15-5 and the Laxman 98 to rescue India were both epic performances though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
That was an amazing spell. Think it was the same match where we were saved thanks to a hundred from Harbhajan.
Harbhajan's knock came in relatively cozy circumstances. It was Laxman's 98 from 15-5 which was a real masterpiece even considering the pitch and the bowling.

He was given out by an atrocious decision too.