• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but the point is after some tons in India you were saying you weren't worried about Pujara overseas, but you were worried about the other batsmen, which included Kohli, the one young batsman in our lineup who has tonned up overseas.

I'd say that's stupid.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but the point is after some tons in India you were saying you weren't worried about Pujara overseas, but you were worried about the other batsmen, which included Kohli, the one young batsman in our lineup who has tonned up overseas.

I'd say that's stupid.
adelaide is one of the best highways in the world tbf. :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I'd say that's stupid.
Pujara looks awesome (at home, always have to say that w/ Indian batting).
I don't remember saying I'm not worried about him overseas. I thought I quite cleary implied by the bolded statement that he's unproven overseas. If I said something else in another post (I might have at some point if I got too excited, in which case I agree it's a stupid statement and I stand corrected.

Ruckus

International Captain
Kohli only tonned up on an absolute road in Adelaide anyway, where, in the previous innings, two players made double centuries, so it doesn't really prove much as of yet.

uvelocity

International Coach
what was with that **** getting a new bat for one ball yesterday? Think he wanted a shirt too but decided he would look like he toughed it out more if he left the dirty one on. WAC he is.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Kohli will do well outside the subcontinent.

The fact that he could play well at Perth is quite instructive IMO - was a way more significant innings than the one at Adelaide.

Pujara too will do well oustide the subcontinent - he was pretty impressive on some juicy tracks in the West Indies for India A earlier this year. He also has a very good game - a technique suited to dealing with seam movement and higher bounce.

If India can get something out of Rohit Sharma (still think he's a phenomenal talent), that's a pretty decent middle order they have there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What could do with a bit of work, though, is the spin combination. Ojha and Ashwin have been unconvincing on this surface, which is a far cry from a rank turner. We're talking of taking a bagful of wickets for under a hundred each. They're not as good as the top three Indian spinners, and need to turn the ball a lot more to be effective in batting-friendly conditions. Harbhajan can help these blokes out a little, as he's not an overly selfish bloke.
Someone help me out here, what is Arjun saying here? The spinners were unconvincing bit then you say the surface didn't help them. Then you're saying they're not as good as the top three Indian spinners?

Am I misreading this post?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I am finding it hard to comprehend people's obsession and reasoning behind having a strong tail even at expense of leaving out better bowlers... :wacko: (if the the top and middle order struggles against spin, then in all likelihood so will the tail)

I keep hearing people (experts too) say that playing both Finn (if fit) and Monty in the next game would gravely weaken their batting unit. Do they, however, realize how much of a difference this move could make to their bowling. For example, although they'd likely lose 30-40 runs playing the former two, they may manage to restrict India for 100+ fewer runs than with Broad and Bresnan instead. The positive impacts of the bowling performance may even carry into the batting. Hence, the potential gains from bowling clearly outweigh the additional runs that Broad and Bresnan would probably add to the tally. (It's not like they are in a good batting form either tbf)

If I were in charge, I'd play the 4 best bowlers for the conditions given, and not compromise bowling to strengthen the tail-end batting, especially considering that they are now 1-0 behind and they must take 20 wickets to win.

Play the best bowlers and play the best batsmen to give yourself the best shot at a competetitive performance, easy. Take out Patel too if he's not a better batting alternative to Morgan and co..

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am finding it hard to comprehend people's obsession and reasoning behind having a strong tail even at expense of leaving out better bowlers... :wacko: (if the the top and middle order struggles against spin, then in all likelihood so will the tail)

I keep hearing people (experts too) say that playing both Finn (if fit) and Monty in the next game would gravely weaken their batting unit. Do they, however, realize how much of a difference this move could make to their bowling. For example, although they'd likely lose 30-40 runs playing the former two, they may manage to restrict India for 100+ fewer runs than with Broad and Bresnan instead. The positive impacts of the bowling performance may even carry into the batting. Hence, the potential gains from bowling clearly outweigh the additional runs that Broad and Bresnan would probably add to the tally. (It's not like they are in a good batting form either tbf)

If I were in charge, I'd play the 4 best bowlers for the conditions given, and not compromise bowling to strengthen the tail-end batting, especially considering that they are now 1-0 behind and they must take 20 wickets to win.

Play the best bowlers and play the best batsmen to give yourself the best shot at a competetitive performance, easy. Take out Patel too if he's not a better batting alternative to Morgan and co..
Agreed, it is exactly what I was saying before the first test.