• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke, Martyn and Hussey are all better choices than Mark Waugh.
Maybe. Maybe not. Mark Waugh was a lot better than hiss average suggests. He was instrumental in the 95 series against the West Indies (for example).

He was also in the side for a lot longer than Martyn or Hussey, which should count for something.

Having said that, I do think those guys were probably better than Mark Waugh. But it's not necessarily clear cut.

bagapath

International Captain
I'll be fine just with McGill coming in for May

Other possible improvements like Langer for Slater and Clarke for M Waugh are marginal imo. (I believe Clarke is slightly superior to Hussey)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka 80's vs Zimbabwe 90's

Sidath Wettimuny
Roshan Mahanama
Aravinda de Silva
Roy Dias
Duleep Mendis
Arjuna Ranatunga
Guy de Alwis+
Ravi Ratnayeke
Rumesh Ratnayake
Somachandra de Silva
Ashantha de Mel

vs

Grant Flower
Neil Johnson
Alistair Campbell
Murray Goodwin
David Houghton
Andy Flower+
Heath Streak
Guy Whittall
Paul Strang
Eddo Brandes
Henry Olonga

Who would win this encounter in your opinion?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
80s SL with the edge in the batting but feel Zim can win a game in a 3 test series and draw the other two. You replace Guy Whittall with a better allrounder or batsman who can bowl (Blignaut? anyone else) then Zim for sure.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel that both sides have great strength in their batting, & both are pretty evenly matched with their batting.

Dunno if Bliggers should get in as he was more of a 2000's player. Bryan Strang might be a good choice to round out the bowling attack? He wasn't bad with the bat either. Alternatively you could select another batsman & have Grant Flower bowl a few overs. Stuart Carlisle would be a good choice if we were looking to bolster the Zim batting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BD in BD can give Zim a run for their money even with their early noughties side. SL would probably find it easier to beat that BD in BD than Zim. Overall, I still lean towards 90s Zim being the better side of the 3.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
BDesh (pre-Shakib)

Javed Omar
Shahriar Nafees
Mohammad Ashraful
Habibul Bashar
Akram Kahn
Mashfiqur Rahim
Khaled Mahmud
Mashrafe Mortaza
Mohammad Rqfique
Shahadat Hossain
Enamul Haque snr

This one's a bit tricky to select. Aminul Islam, Rajin Saleh, Alok Kapali, Tapash Baisya & Manjural Islam are all unlucky. Manjural Islam Rana & Syed Rasel would have been good shouts but didn't play much Test cricket.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
BD in BD can give Zim a run for their money even with their early noughties side. SL would probably find it easier to beat that BD in BD than Zim. Overall, I still lean towards 90s Zim being the better side of the 3.
Tbh I kinda neglected spin bowling when selecting SL & Zim. Not sure who I'd pick to partner Somachandra de Silva on a spinning Lankan pitch. Likewise, a spin partner for Paul Strang (outside of Grant Flower) is a tough call. Dirk Viljoen maybe?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It would have been so much better for world cricket in general, I feel, if Graeme Hick decided to play for Zim than England in the 90s.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbh I kinda neglected spin bowling when selecting SL & Zim. Not sure who I'd pick to partner Somachandra de Silva on a spinning Lankan pitch. Likewise, a spin partner for Paul Strang (outside of Grant Flower) is a tough call. Dirk Viljoen maybe?
Brian Strang bowling his off-cutters IMO

or some part time offies from Trevor Gripper