• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Logan

U19 Captain
The match winning quality is the quality of legends. botham had it. ambrose had it. hadlee had it. marshall had it. .

Ambrose took 22 5WPI in 179 innings.

Donald took 20 5WPI in 120 innings.

Ambrose had a better average. Donald had a better SR.

So how was Donald a lesser match winner?

Last edited:

Logan

U19 Captain
Devil’s Advocate here

Is Glen McGrath the greatest or even Top 3 bowler?

1. He averages 29 in SriLanka and 31 in Pakistan.

2. He has taken 1 5WPI in 17 Tests in Asia.

3. He never played against the best team of his era(Aus)

4. Against the second best team of his era(SA), he averages 27 and has a SR of 71.

Logan

U19 Captain
Against Australia, Donald averaged 31 and had a SR of 61.

Against SouthAfrica, McGrath averaged 27 and had a SR of 71.

Against every other country, Donald had a sub-23 average and sub-50 Strike. Something even McGrath couldn’t do.

But the popular opinion is McGrath a Top 3 or Top 5 bowler. While Donald is Top 10 bowler at best.

Chrish

International Debutant
3. He never played against the best team of his era(Aus)
That team was ATG because of Mcg. He was the central pillar of that Aussie team. On the occasions when he was missing, the team all of a sudden looked very vulnerable despite their Pontings, Gilchrists, Haydens or Warnes still playing.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Glen McGrath the greatest or even Top 3 bowler?

He never played against the best team of his era(Aus)
About time someone called out McGrath on pulling out of all of those tours to Australia. Shameful really.

But in seriousness, he played against them all the time in domestic cricket. Doesn't that count for something?

Logan

U19 Captain
I agree McGrath is one of the ATGs.

My question is simple. Why is someone like Donald who was just as good thought as inferior to McGrath? They are almost equals IMO.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
So I was just having a squiz on statsderp.com & found out that Viv's average against the Windies in the 1980's was 0.00.

Man, I'm so glad we live in an age where we can use numbers to de-bunk these mythologies.

ataraxia

International Coach
I know, right. Did you know that Bradman never scored a single run against Australia in Tests? I don't understand why people rate him this much. Chris Martin's ahead of him IMO.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I know, right. Did you know that Bradman never scored a single run against Australia in Tests? I don't understand why people rate him this much. Chris Martin's ahead of him IMO.
I've often said that Bradman isn't fit to walk across the same street as Chris Martin.

Bradman's ODI average is pitiful as well.

Chrish

International Debutant
PS what was the quality of Indian team during Benaud/ Davidson days? Did they bowl against any decent batsmen?

Logan

U19 Captain
Donald is often penalised for his mediocre record (Avg:31 and SR:71) in any ATG discussion.

But McGrath’s mediocre record(Avg:27 and SR:71) against the best team he faced(SA) never comes to discussion.

That’s what I meant.

Logan

U19 Captain
So I was just having a squiz on statsderp.com & found out that Viv's average against the Windies in the 1980's was 0.00.

Man, I'm so glad we live in an age where we can use numbers to de-bunk these mythologies.
I meant McGrath was lucky to have played for and not against the greatest team ever. Many modern day greats including Donald, Akram, Waqar, Pollock etc didn’t have a great record against the Aussies.