Page 185 of 194 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,775 of 2907

Thread: ***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

  1. #2761
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Nothing too explosive, just a personality clash, fat jokes, near punch-on, etc.
    Ha good stuff. I hope they both fire the **** up, go hard at each other and perform. Want them both on the plane to England.

  2. #2762
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,619
    I'd have no worries selecting him and giving him a go given where we are at but I get the feeling that it wont happen. Fitness and athletes who can play 1 dayers ant t20s more important atm. Which is **** cause in a test team you have more of a chance of hiding someone if needed.

  3. #2763
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,063
    The problem isn't that Cossie is fat. Its the non cricket reason keeping him out thats stupid. Just another exasperating example of what we're doing wrong. What was ever the problem with selecting someone on performances? Why does being a fatty trump being able to play?

    Is Cossie a waddler anyway? His fc stats show him to be a good catcher. He's a handy medium pacer too and brings that to the side if you're looking for someone to bowl the overs that might be considered too much for Pattinson.

    Burns, Maddinson and now Silk should be left to perform in the shield. The only other candidates for an ashes tour are Bailey, Doolan, Ferguson and Rogers in addition to the 6 screwing up in India atm. Unless Ponting's form has the selectors trying to talk him back into availability. I was thinking that we might have to pick 2 of them for Usman and Hughes. Maybe if the latter can turn 50 into 100 in the 3rd test we'll only need 1 replacement

  4. #2764
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,142
    Sorry, should make it clear, I'm not sure whether Cosgrove still holds a grudge. Isn't the type to just let things go, though.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp


  5. #2765
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,619
    I dont give a crap about Khawaja's attitude. He should be next in line if someone is dropped. Being in the squad but never playing doesnt help anyone.

  6. #2766
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,142
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    The problem isn't that Cossie is fat. Its the non cricket reason keeping him out thats stupid. Just another exasperating example of what we're doing wrong. What was ever the problem with selecting someone on performances? Why does being a fatty trump being able to play?
    It's not just that, though. Has an exasperating problem with getting to 50 quickly then getting out before a ton when he runs out of puff. Part of it is physical, part of it mental (is a terrible starter, reckon he has more than his fair share of ducks for a top-order player). A bloke like him with skills that good should be averaging 50+ in Shield. A FC average of early 40's when he gorges on 2nd div CC attacks in winter isn't and shouldn't get him a Test spot.

    EDIT: Just averages 40 in Shield over almost 10 years, averaged < 40 for SA.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 17-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  7. #2767
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,013
    I agree with almost everything you say adub, but I wouldn't say that Burns is exactly being hidden at 5. He's come in to bat in difficult situations and had wickets falling all over the place when he's been at the crease too. I think QLD have decided that RH,LH,RH,LH,RH.LH top six might be a decent strategy too.

    Come to think about it, QLD top 6 looks like its trying to replicate Australia.

  8. #2768
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,527
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Come to think about it, QLD top 6 looks like its trying to replicate Australia.
    Reminds me a bit of Cachopa modelling his batting technique on Todd Astle.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  9. #2769
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangles View Post
    I dont give a crap about Khawaja's attitude. He should be next in line if someone is dropped. Being in the squad but never playing doesnt help anyone.
    Uzi hasn't done enough this season or last in the Shield for me. Don't believe he should have been dropped when he was, but he's not in good enough form to demand a place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    It's not just that, though. Has an exasperating problem with getting to 50 quickly then getting out before a ton when he runs out of puff. Part of it is physical, part of it mental. A bloke like him with skills that good should be averaging 50+ in Shield. A FC average of early 40's when he gorges on 2nd div CC attacks in winter isn't and shouldn't get him a Test spot.
    All true TC, but that doesn't change the fact for all that he's outperformed every other candidate that isn't 35 or over. His last 7 fc seasons (5 in Aus and 2 in Eng) have seen him average 61, 60, 43, 49, 54, 35 and 40. It's not too bad for a guy with the issues you identify, and way better than the alternatives. I only see him going to England as the reserve batsman, and wish there were better options, but there aren't.

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I agree with almost everything you say adub, but I wouldn't say that Burns is exactly being hidden at 5. He's come in to bat in difficult situations and had wickets falling all over the place when he's been at the crease too. I think QLD have decided that RH,LH,RH,LH,RH.LH top six might be a decent strategy too.

    Come to think about it, QLD top 6 looks like its trying to replicate Australia.
    5 in the Shield ain't the same as 5 in the Test side, not by a long shot. If you want to be considered a serious prospect to play for Australia then you bat top 4 (or seriously top 3), or you wear gloves or bowl more than occasionally. Burns was batting 3 where he should be, but his failures forced them to try something else. If he was ready for Tests he'd be stopping the rot before it started at 3, not coming in at 5 with to bowlers on top. I'm certainly not writing him off and think he's at the top of the list for likely future test middle order bats (in front of Doolan and Maddinson), but he's not ready yet by a long shot and so there would be no benefit to including him in the Ashes squad, especially considering he has a County gig lined up. Finger's crossed that he does well at Leicestershire and starts next summer strongly.

  10. #2770
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,142
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    All true TC, but that doesn't change the fact for all that he's outperformed every other candidate that isn't 35 or over. His last 7 fc seasons (5 in Aus and 2 in Eng) have seen him average 61, 60, 43, 49, 54, 35 and 40. It's not too bad for a guy with the issues you identify, and way better than the alternatives. I only see him going to England as the reserve batsman, and wish there were better options, but there aren't.
    Depends on how you define 'better option' from a team/squad perspective.

  11. #2771
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Depends on how you define 'better option' from a team/squad perspective.
    Definitions that aren't 'scores the most runs' don't look too flash to me.

  12. #2772
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,013
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post



    5 in the Shield ain't the same as 5 in the Test side, not by a long shot. If you want to be considered a serious prospect to play for Australia then you bat top 4 (or seriously top 3), or you wear gloves or bowl more than occasionally. Burns was batting 3 where he should be, but his failures forced them to try something else. If he was ready for Tests he'd be stopping the rot before it started at 3, not coming in at 5 with to bowlers on top. I'm certainly not writing him off and think he's at the top of the list for likely future test middle order bats (in front of Doolan and Maddinson), but he's not ready yet by a long shot and so there would be no benefit to including him in the Ashes squad, especially considering he has a County gig lined up. Finger's crossed that he does well at Leicestershire and starts next summer strongly.
    Yeah I agree that there is a difference between 5 in the different levels of First Class Cricket, but its not as though he's doing an AB de Villiers and coming in at 3/296 and cashing in against tired bowlers. I actually don't mind middle order batsman batting at 4 or 5, ideally I would be batting Burns at 4 but again realistically if he was to play for Australia anytime soon, I would bat him at 5 or 6.

    Is his county gig for the entire year across all 3 formats and what division is Leicerstershire in?

  13. #2773
    International Debutant adub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Yeah I agree that there is a difference between 5 in the different levels of First Class Cricket, but its not as though he's doing an AB de Villiers and coming in at 3/296 and cashing in against tired bowlers. I actually don't mind middle order batsman batting at 4 or 5, ideally I would be batting Burns at 4 but again realistically if he was to play for Australia anytime soon, I would bat him at 5 or 6.

    Is his county gig for the entire year across all 3 formats and what division is Leicerstershire in?
    "Burns signed as a replacement for Ramnaresh Sarwan at Leicestershire County Cricket Club. Burns will spend time between 15th May and 30th August playing 7 FC games, 11 List A games and 10 T20 Games."

    Joe Burns (cricketer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    2nd Div

  14. #2774
    International 12th Man Tangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Polar Vortex
    Posts
    1,619
    The thing with Uzi is that if he finishes the tour having not played a test as a reserve bat he'd have been better off finishing the season with his state.

  15. #2775
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,665
    awwwwwwwww (i don't care)
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2068
    Last Post: 08-08-2011, 10:54 PM
  2. LGBT Thread
    By Matt79 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 18-07-2010, 12:29 PM
  3. Australian Cricket League
    By Mister Wright in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-08-2009, 06:28 PM
  4. Domestic cricket goes live on FOX SPORTS
    By Haddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16-05-2006, 08:28 AM
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •