• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2012/13

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'd have no worries selecting him and giving him a go given where we are at but I get the feeling that it wont happen. Fitness and athletes who can play 1 dayers ant t20s more important atm. Which is **** cause in a test team you have more of a chance of hiding someone if needed.

the big bambino

International Captain
The problem isn't that Cossie is fat. Its the non cricket reason keeping him out thats stupid. Just another exasperating example of what we're doing wrong. What was ever the problem with selecting someone on performances? Why does being a fatty trump being able to play?

Is Cossie a waddler anyway? His fc stats show him to be a good catcher. He's a handy medium pacer too and brings that to the side if you're looking for someone to bowl the overs that might be considered too much for Pattinson.

Burns, Maddinson and now Silk should be left to perform in the shield. The only other candidates for an ashes tour are Bailey, Doolan, Ferguson and Rogers in addition to the 6 screwing up in India atm. Unless Ponting's form has the selectors trying to talk him back into availability. I was thinking that we might have to pick 2 of them for Usman and Hughes. Maybe if the latter can turn 50 into 100 in the 3rd test we'll only need 1 replacement

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry, should make it clear, I'm not sure whether Cosgrove still holds a grudge. Isn't the type to just let things go, though.

Tangles

I dont give a crap about Khawaja's attitude. He should be next in line if someone is dropped. Being in the squad but never playing doesnt help anyone.

Top_Cat

The problem isn't that Cossie is fat. Its the non cricket reason keeping him out thats stupid. Just another exasperating example of what we're doing wrong. What was ever the problem with selecting someone on performances? Why does being a fatty trump being able to play?
It's not just that, though. Has an exasperating problem with getting to 50 quickly then getting out before a ton when he runs out of puff. Part of it is physical, part of it mental (is a terrible starter, reckon he has more than his fair share of ducks for a top-order player). A bloke like him with skills that good should be averaging 50+ in Shield. A FC average of early 40's when he gorges on 2nd div CC attacks in winter isn't and shouldn't get him a Test spot.

EDIT: Just averages 40 in Shield over almost 10 years, averaged < 40 for SA.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with almost everything you say adub, but I wouldn't say that Burns is exactly being hidden at 5. He's come in to bat in difficult situations and had wickets falling all over the place when he's been at the crease too. I think QLD have decided that RH,LH,RH,LH,RH.LH top six might be a decent strategy too.

Come to think about it, QLD top 6 looks like its trying to replicate Australia.

adub

International Captain
I dont give a crap about Khawaja's attitude. He should be next in line if someone is dropped. Being in the squad but never playing doesnt help anyone.
Uzi hasn't done enough this season or last in the Shield for me. Don't believe he should have been dropped when he was, but he's not in good enough form to demand a place.

It's not just that, though. Has an exasperating problem with getting to 50 quickly then getting out before a ton when he runs out of puff. Part of it is physical, part of it mental. A bloke like him with skills that good should be averaging 50+ in Shield. A FC average of early 40's when he gorges on 2nd div CC attacks in winter isn't and shouldn't get him a Test spot.
All true TC, but that doesn't change the fact for all that he's outperformed every other candidate that isn't 35 or over. His last 7 fc seasons (5 in Aus and 2 in Eng) have seen him average 61, 60, 43, 49, 54, 35 and 40. It's not too bad for a guy with the issues you identify, and way better than the alternatives. I only see him going to England as the reserve batsman, and wish there were better options, but there aren't.

I agree with almost everything you say adub, but I wouldn't say that Burns is exactly being hidden at 5. He's come in to bat in difficult situations and had wickets falling all over the place when he's been at the crease too. I think QLD have decided that RH,LH,RH,LH,RH.LH top six might be a decent strategy too.

Come to think about it, QLD top 6 looks like its trying to replicate Australia.
5 in the Shield ain't the same as 5 in the Test side, not by a long shot. If you want to be considered a serious prospect to play for Australia then you bat top 4 (or seriously top 3), or you wear gloves or bowl more than occasionally. Burns was batting 3 where he should be, but his failures forced them to try something else. If he was ready for Tests he'd be stopping the rot before it started at 3, not coming in at 5 with to bowlers on top. I'm certainly not writing him off and think he's at the top of the list for likely future test middle order bats (in front of Doolan and Maddinson), but he's not ready yet by a long shot and so there would be no benefit to including him in the Ashes squad, especially considering he has a County gig lined up. Finger's crossed that he does well at Leicestershire and starts next summer strongly.

Top_Cat

All true TC, but that doesn't change the fact for all that he's outperformed every other candidate that isn't 35 or over. His last 7 fc seasons (5 in Aus and 2 in Eng) have seen him average 61, 60, 43, 49, 54, 35 and 40. It's not too bad for a guy with the issues you identify, and way better than the alternatives. I only see him going to England as the reserve batsman, and wish there were better options, but there aren't.
Depends on how you define 'better option' from a team/squad perspective.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
5 in the Shield ain't the same as 5 in the Test side, not by a long shot. If you want to be considered a serious prospect to play for Australia then you bat top 4 (or seriously top 3), or you wear gloves or bowl more than occasionally. Burns was batting 3 where he should be, but his failures forced them to try something else. If he was ready for Tests he'd be stopping the rot before it started at 3, not coming in at 5 with to bowlers on top. I'm certainly not writing him off and think he's at the top of the list for likely future test middle order bats (in front of Doolan and Maddinson), but he's not ready yet by a long shot and so there would be no benefit to including him in the Ashes squad, especially considering he has a County gig lined up. Finger's crossed that he does well at Leicestershire and starts next summer strongly.
Yeah I agree that there is a difference between 5 in the different levels of First Class Cricket, but its not as though he's doing an AB de Villiers and coming in at 3/296 and cashing in against tired bowlers. I actually don't mind middle order batsman batting at 4 or 5, ideally I would be batting Burns at 4 but again realistically if he was to play for Australia anytime soon, I would bat him at 5 or 6.

Is his county gig for the entire year across all 3 formats and what division is Leicerstershire in?

adub

International Captain
Yeah I agree that there is a difference between 5 in the different levels of First Class Cricket, but its not as though he's doing an AB de Villiers and coming in at 3/296 and cashing in against tired bowlers. I actually don't mind middle order batsman batting at 4 or 5, ideally I would be batting Burns at 4 but again realistically if he was to play for Australia anytime soon, I would bat him at 5 or 6.

Is his county gig for the entire year across all 3 formats and what division is Leicerstershire in?
"Burns signed as a replacement for Ramnaresh Sarwan at Leicestershire County Cricket Club. Burns will spend time between 15th May and 30th August playing 7 FC games, 11 List A games and 10 T20 Games."

Joe Burns (cricketer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2nd Div

Tangles

The thing with Uzi is that if he finishes the tour having not played a test as a reserve bat he'd have been better off finishing the season with his state.

Spikey

Tassie: Bailey
Vic: White
QLD: hopes/hartley
SA: Botha
NSW: Smitteh
WA: Agar

make it happen