• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I like Swann though so your last argument doesn't work.

You evolved on your view based on what information? Genuinely curious.
I already self-promoted it in this thread but you may remember a piece I did for CW in 09 basically defending him. Think you were critical of it at the time (the opinion not the article itself in your defence)

I still hold a lot of what I felt at that point to be valid; that the English public/media never took to him in the way they should have given his talent, because of his nationality. The same problems don't apply to someone like Mo Farah, because of his accent, and also because in an individual sport I think it's a little more convenient to accept them, whereas the 'England' team should be represented by 'Englishmen'. (even though I find that contradictory, that's just based on my experiences. Not to say I haven't heard people rubbish (racists) rubbish Farah's Britishness).

I also had a lot of sympathy for him RE the captaincy saga. And you're right about Swann - that book should never have been published at that time, or at least with those comments.

But then over time there were things like his sham ODI retirement. I mean at the time I may have even backed him on that (can't remember) but little things like this accumulate and you start to think, come on KP man, get a grip. Then textgate happens, solidifying that this is a man not wholly interested in the team cause. But his comeback was so good I honestly thought we'd turned a corner.

But from there, I loved the cricketer still but not so much the man. I found his attitude to journos funny during the 2013 Ashes but with it you can't help but think, oh man, get a grip. And then he gets axed, I'm raging because of his ability, but the more he opens his mouth the more disingenuine I realise he is. And we are where we are.

Could have written more but should at least pretend to work between now and close of play. hopefully answers your question

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I already self-promoted it in this thread but you may remember a piece I did for CW in 09 basically defending him. Think you were critical of it at the time (the opinion not the article itself in your defence)

I still hold a lot of what I felt at that point to be valid; that the English public/media never took to him in the way they should have given his talent, because of his nationality. The same problems don't apply to someone like Mo Farah, because of his accent, and also because in an individual sport I think it's a little more convenient to accept them, whereas the 'England' team should be represented by 'Englishmen'. (even though I find that contradictory, that's just based on my experiences. Not to say I haven't heard people rubbish (racists) rubbish Farah's Britishness).

I also had a lot of sympathy for him RE the captaincy saga. And you're right about Swann - that book should never have been published at that time, or at least with those comments.

But then over time there were things like his sham ODI retirement. I mean at the time I may have even backed him on that (can't remember) but little things like this accumulate and you start to think, come on KP man, get a grip. Then textgate happens, solidifying that this is a man not wholly interested in the team cause. But his comeback was so good I honestly thought we'd turned a corner.

But from there, I loved the cricketer still but not so much the man. I found his attitude to journos funny during the 2013 Ashes but with it you can't help but think, oh man, get a grip. And then he gets axed, I'm raging because of his ability, but the more he opens his mouth the more disingenuine I realise he is. And we are where we are.

Could have written more but should at least pretend to work between now and close of play. hopefully answers your question
Thanks. I get where you're coming from.

But to me KP is a ****head but Swann and co. clearly were dicks to him too. Twitter account, Swann's book, etc.

I think what Tremlett says about the 2013 Ashes is pretty insightful. I can see KP just speaking his mind about Flower's way of coaching to the players which was starting to piss people off and him being the fall guy for not being a team guy.

Also if as you say the young guys like KP but Swann and co. don't, I don't think its as easy as just saying KP is wrong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
RE the young guys, for me there's two ways of looking at it.

Either KP genuinely wanted to help them. Or he wanted them on his side versus the clique (and I do agree that others come out just as badly as he does from parts of the saga). Just depends how cynical you are I guess. Perhaps a bit of both.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So how realistic are the chances of KP playing tests again like Boycott did? He is 34 and can play for 2-3 years. He has to play 3 first class games, which looks like a problem, but can be sorted out, I am pretty sure with some arrangement with a county. Do you seen KP playing tests again from England?

Niall

International Coach
So how realistic are the chances of KP playing tests again like Boycott did? He is 34 and can play for 2-3 years. He has to play 3 first class games, which looks like a problem, but can be sorted out, I am pretty sure with some arrangement with a county. Do you seen KP playing tests again from England?

It would be near impossible to sneak into the side for The Ashes, as he will be in the IPL for the test series v West Indies and West Indies, he is relying on players failing, and even then what happens if Vince and Taylor gun it hard in the county Championship? If he was to miss out on The Ashes, would he be arsed with test cricket? Dunno.

Also, to get back for a few county games, he would have to cut short his IPL gig, would he be willing to do that? Lets not forget how ****e he has been in the IPL, it would seriously piss of the IPL owners, if he fled early especially if he wasn't contributing.

I do think he should be considered for the t20 side though, as the next world cup is in India next year. Only he, Morgan and Bopara have any sort of IPL experience, the others will be playing on the conditions alien to them.. I do remember last time, Harby bowling to Bairstow and a few others and it was depressing how clueless they looked playing him. He also has a gig in the West Indies as well, where the pitches are very spin friendly.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Everything about this debate has been done over and over again. Thread really should be locked and thrown away.

Congrats to Jono though on bringing up his ton of posts today.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everything about this debate has been done over and over again. Thread really should be locked and thrown away.

Indeed, the argument basically remains exactly the same. It will never go away, Marina Hyde said it best. It will just go round-and-round in perpetuity.

In the end he doesn't want to play, he's not making any effort to play any other cricket than T20, which is where you feel he wanted his career to be at this point anyway.

Riggins

International Captain
Indeed, the argument basically remains exactly the same. It will never go away, Marina Hyde said it best. It will just go round-and-round in perpetuity.

In the end he doesn't want to play, he's not making any effort to play any other cricket than T20, which is where you feel he wanted his career to be at this point anyway.
Yeah you get the impression if the ECB said "you have to play one county championship game before the first test and make more than 15 and you can play in the first Test," he'd be like "...nah"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah you get the impression if the ECB said "you have to play one county championship game before the first test and make more than 15 and you can play in the first Test," he'd be like "...nah"
Haha yeah. This way suits KP, he gets to do what he wanted without the stigma of having turned his back on England

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah that's why I sometimes wish the ECB would just tell him that if he did something to justify his picking they'd pick him. Because I'm not sure he could. This suits him perfectly. Gets to holiday and play T20 all year round when he wants for lots of money, without the hassle that comes from being a full time professional sportsman, but with half the cricket population feeling a bit sorry for him as well, with the illusion his career was cut short in it's prime by suits and certain types of families.

I often want to criticise him for not playing Championship games and making the ECB look like clowns, but really you can't as it was put to him that even if he did it would make no difference.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

I'll ask your permission before I get into a debate about a topic you're sour about next time.

I'm obviously the one who posted their 2009 article etc. GIMH and I had a discussion, you don't like it that's fine. I really don't care if some English fans are sick of hearing about it because it reminds them how utterly pathetic its been handled by everyone involved.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I often want to criticise him for not playing Championship games and making the ECB look like clowns, but really you can't as it was put to him that even if he did it would make no difference.
Exactly, which is why the criticism of him not playing country or scoring runs doesn't wash. If someone is told they'd never ever get a promotion ever again or something similar naturally their care factor would plummet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Exactly, which is why the criticism of him not playing country or scoring runs doesn't wash. If someone is told they'd never ever get a promotion ever again or something similar naturally their care factor would plummet.
I'm 50-50 on this. Ultimately the money available in T20 means you can't blame him for taking it all once internationals were off the table; at the same time, if playing for England meant what he said it did, could you not expect him to at least give it a season of trying to prove they'd made a huge mistake? T20 £$£ would still have been waiting for him in September after all. I dunno, it's a tough one. As I said, I think it suits him this way regardless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's obviously far from blameless, but if you got demoted at work for what you believe was a **** reason, and then got told no matter how well you did at this role lower down the hierarchy you'll never be promoted back to where you were. Would you bust your gut and try your best? It kills any incentive immediately.