• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand doom and gloom thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand need to bring in a guy like Lee Germon as a coach, he knows what the game is about
Say what you like about Lee Germon but he almost engineered a brilliant WC 1/4 final win over Australia in 96 and was a/the driving force behind developing Hagley Oval into NZ's best cricket ground.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Pitches have been fine this season from what I've seen. One or two shootouts but that's good variety. It's just the general deprioritisation of FC cricket.
Last season, they even had these modern green tops for the Autumn rounds of PS, when traditionally it's the time for the batsmen or spinners to even it up with the seamers.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Last season, they even had these modern green tops for the Autumn rounds of PS, when traditionally it's the time for the batsmen or spinners to even it up with the seamers.
Autumn pitches in the SI will be very very dry (Hagley may favour SL), but green as up north.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My favourite thread is back

Why doesn't this country just announce their self-relegation to associate? They clearly don't give a rats about tests

Immenso

Autumn pitches in the SI will be very very dry (Hagley may favour SL), but green as up north.
Nah, Delport, Sommerville et al usually turning it sideways in Auckland around March, April. If the Captain Greentops aren't intervening with things.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I thought we sorted out the FC pitch stuff a while back and it directly led to us being good, so how come we're getting these same problems again?
Most countries with a heavy and cold winter schedule their T20 comps at peak summer which means you probably lose out on the best time for FC cricket.

Immenso

Most countries with a heavy and cold winter schedule their T20 comps at peak summer which means you probably lose out on the best time for FC cricket.
Yes, that is normal. But, Nz also bookend on either side of that their domestic one-day comp (which has no commercial value). Meaning there is the 3 to 3-and-a half month gap of no FC cricket. Every year.

ataraxia

International Coach
I'd like an annual North-South week. Pick teams to represent the 2 islands and play a 4-day, 1 day, and T20. Cheaper than A tours but don't provide international conditions.
Yeah, Super Smash early summer holidays and over quick (to remove clash with SA, UAE comps) then a televised North–South week late January would be awesome.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well they've done it - I didn't think it was possible after years building this team up, but they've turned back the clock to 2009 and NZ cricket is an embarrassment again. Woeful leadership, woeful selection, years of resting on their laurels and topping that off by picking ****ing Kuggeleijn.

I thought we might be at rock bottom, but then I saw Stead's comments and plans for next test and no, they're still determined to keep making it worse. This is the first test NZ have played in a long time where I didn't make a big effort to watch, but it doesn't look like it will be the last. Is anyone high up at NZ cricket likely to realise that major change is needed? Looks unlikely.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Gutted I bought a ticket to day one at the Basin and took the day off work, I gotta say. Did it about a month ago … wouldn’t have bothered now. Especially if Mr Rapey is playing again. :(
Tickner was the pick of the NZ seamers at the Mount and they won't dump Wags before he retires (which he'll hopefully do before SL get here) so hopefully all SK does is carry drinks/gear and bowl pies in the nets.

Stuff cricket is also suggesting playing both Young and Nicholls (a different problem there) with Macewell at 8 like the England tour (!!). Then surely SK's batting would be unnecessary and his pies would be behind Tickner's pace and Wagner's experience.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Tickner was the pick of the NZ seamers at the Mount and they won't dump Wags before he retires (which he'll hopefully do before SL get here) so hopefully all SK does is carry drinks/gear and bowl pies in the nets.

Stuff cricket is also suggesting playing both Young and Nicholls (a different problem there) with Macewell at 8 like the England tour (!!). Then surely SK's batting would be unnecessary and his pies would be behind Tickner's pace and Wagner's experience.
After the way Wagner was completely pulverised in the second innings, I think there's a real chance that he'll be dropped and Kugz will play again. I know that his first session spell was as much a failure of captaincy as it was a failure of bowling, but watching Brook backing away and bunting Wagner back over his head for boundary after boundary was pretty eye-opening.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
After the way Wagner was completely pulverised in the second innings, I think there's a real chance that he'll be dropped and Kugz will play again. I know that his first session spell was as much a failure of captaincy as it was a failure of bowling, but watching Brook backing away and bunting Wagner back over his head for boundary after boundary was pretty eye-opening.
Should drop him for Dougeh IMO.

Flem274*

123/5
I made a big long post in here last night but deleted it because meh.

Suffice to say I'd love to see the NZC financials and we're running the game for the benefit of a few top administrators and 20 players.

Maybe I should ask for it to be undeleted idk.