• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand Domestic Cricket Season 2012/2013

jcas0167

International Debutant
It's always sad to see a player you grew up watching retire. Good luck to him for whatever he decides to do with the rest of his life.
Yeah, I'm about the same age as him and remember the Herald did a profile on him in 1997 when he had returned from High School in Australia and was highly rated. He was part of that 1998 Under 19 side that made the World Cup final (along with the Marshall's, Engelfield, Franklin, Mills, B Martin & McGlashan).

Making your debut opening the batting at the WACA against Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Glenn McGrath & Shane Warne can't have been easy. But he scored a century in the first innings and a run a ball half century in the second.

For whatever reason he probably never really fulfilled his potential at test level. Looking at his innings by innings list I think he was discarded a little too quickly after the Pakistan series in 2003 having just scored a century in India before that series. And again after Zimbabwe in 2005 (although by that stage he was competing with a pretty strong middle order).

Final word goes to Craig McMillan in Out of the Park:

Lou Vincent would always make my side and he is probably the most talented cricketer I have seen. He had all the shots against any bowler, he could destroy attacks, he could also bowl and he has kept for New Zealand as well.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For whatever reason he probably never really fulfilled his potential at test level. Looking at his innings by innings list I think he was discarded a little too quickly after the Pakistan series in 2003 having just scored a century in India before that series. And again after Zimbabwe in 2005 (although by that stage he was competing with a pretty strong middle order).
The second dropping, he was made to open then was dropped after he expressed his feelings on the matter, that he was a middle order player and the like. And pretty strong middle order? Yes indeed, Fleming, Astle, Styris and...Hamish Marshall! It's retrospect, but if we knew then, Lou should've been the one to keep in the side. Didn't help that his last test innings was to open after Cumming got injured.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hakaria opening for Auckland?
CharlesLara to comment. Is this a precursor to dropping him? Auckland obviously have too many middle order batsmen; even too many middle order batsmen who bowl, considering that Munro will come back at some point. And their top order certainly has been poor this season.

Still, tough gig opening after previously batting down at 6/7.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Wells is getting some more responsibility in this Otago lineup - batting up the order last match or two and now first change bowler. Like this as he clearly has raw ability and this will showcase what he can (or can't) do.

Awesome that Wheeler is back for CD.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Looks like Wells is getting some more responsibility in this Otago lineup - batting up the order last match or two and now first change bowler. Like this as he clearly has raw ability and this will showcase what he can (or can't) do.

Awesome that Wheeler is back for CD.
Wells has been batting 5 all season (in PS). Moved up with hole left by Cummings retirement. In some pre-Xmas rounds he batted 5 and didn't bowl (due to a bowling injury)

But has bowled a lot recently, with Butler missing, and Wagner sometimes missing, and bowled well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, Shannon "the mud wrestler" Stewart is really putting paid to those comments from earlier in the season about the rising standards of nz domestic cricket.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This Canterbury attack is about as old-style NZ domestic dibbly dobbly as you could get. Mark Orchard would be proud.

Yet it keeps knocking over sides that it should have no right to.

In other news Neesh has 3 against Wellingtron.

Edit: And Stewart gets his 5-fer! 5/7. Jeebus

Last edited:

Immenso

Hagley Oval WOF a bit rushed.
I thought the last match there was a nice change to have a tricky wicket .... test the batsmen etc. But **** that, Shannan Stewart with 5 for 7 can **** off back to the 90s

Immenso

Wow, Shannon "the mud wrestler" Stewart is really putting paid to those comments from earlier in the season about the rising standards of nz domestic cricket.
No, it shows the opposite.

It shows that if the FC pitch WOF process is compromised (for political purposes) then any hairy-arsed chancer with line and length and a bit of medium out swing can be devastating. Exactly like the old days. Exactly the sort of thing the WOF process has been so good at reducing or removing from NZ FC cricket over the last 10 years.

It depends what you mean by rising standards. the players are less adept at surviving on club-type pitches, but 'normal' conditions now are why there are some genuine quicks around, and 4 out of 6 teams this round have picked a wrist spinner.

Mike5181

International Captain
Mitchell's had a pretty awesome start to his first-class career. Currently averaging around 55 with the bat, and 23 with the ball.