• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bedi bags Tendulkar

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
There is a small part of merit in what Bedi says. Tendulkar has a wonderful conversion rate with 36 fifties and 31 hundreds but only has the one double century in test cricket. For someone who is so brilliant it is a bit unusual. One would think that he would have several like Lara for example. Still this is only a very minor criticism of Tendulkar.

deeps

International 12th Man
sachin is an opener..he has plenty of time to make a double or triple hundred...lara comes at number 3..he also has plenty of time..swaugh comes in at 5..not much time..if u look at his record,he has lots of unbeaten centuries...many of them 150's that are unbeaten...Sachin has a tendency to get out quickly after reaching his hundred milestone

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed, Tendulkar just doesn't seem to be able to carry on once he gets to around 150...whether thats a matter of fitness I do not know.

iamdavid

International Debutant
deeps said:
sachin is an opener..he has plenty of time to make a double or triple hundred...lara comes at number 3..he also has plenty of time..swaugh comes in at 5..not much time..if u look at his record,he has lots of unbeaten centuries...many of them 150's that are unbeaten...Sachin has a tendency to get out quickly after reaching his hundred milestone
Sachin is a number 4 mate , always has been , he opens in ODI's but we are talking about tests here.

You might also notice Lara's batted at 4 for the last ouple of years now.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Before you guys mislead yourselves any further, Sachin has 2 doubles.

v Zimbabwe and v New Zealand

furious_ged said:
Doesn't Steve Waugh also have a 199?
Yep. Versus the Windies. I think it was in the Lara 153* games. Not sure.

deeps

International 12th Man
iamdavid said:
Sachin is a number 4 mate , always has been , he opens in ODI's but we are talking about tests here.
i'm pretty sure tendulkar opened the batting for a while in tests...and even then,it doesn't really matter if he comes at 4...the indian batting usually crumbles away except for dravid...and the score will be 3 wickets down in about 15 overs....with australia,for them to be three wickets down,alot more overs will have been bowled

lara batted most of his career at number 3

if ur gonna look at a short period of time,in that case,steve waugh batted at number 3 for some time...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
i'm pretty sure tendulkar opened the batting for a while in tests...and even then,it doesn't really matter if he comes at 4...the indian batting usually crumbles away except for dravid...and the score will be 3 wickets down in about 15 overs....with australia,for them to be three wickets down,alot more overs will have been bowled

lara batted most of his career at number 3

if ur gonna look at a short period of time,in that case,steve waugh batted at number 3 for some time...
We went over this a little while ago, and someone looked it up and found out that Sachin has only ever opened the batting once if my memory serves me (which it rarely does).

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Isn't this typical of Indian batsman though? I remember Gavaskar saying when Laxman broke his record of highest test score for an Indian that he was surprised it took so long for someone to break the record. He also mentioned that he was surprised Sachin Tendulkar wasn't the one to break the record.

In something like 367 tests they have only scored 22 scores of over 200

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You what?

The Indian middle order is probably the best in the world (toss up between them and Australia)

Rik is correct, he did it once.

Waugh has only batted above number 5 in 15 innings out of 253.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
He must be terribly consistent though. To have not many huge scores and still average so high, also without many not outs to help him.

The Indian fans may correct me here but Tendulkar also doesn't have the match winning innings that people talk about. Waugh has him double century against the West Indies, Lara has great scores against Australia not to mention his 375, Hayden his 380 and double century in India in hot conditions. Even Mark Waugh has a match winning century in South Africa that is spoken about. Have I forgotten such an innings from Tendulkar.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A match-saving innings comes to mind, against the West Indies in the 3rd Test in India last year.

Windies took a 139-run lead on first innings with the better part of 2 days to go. We then had India at 87/4 with Bangar, Sehwag, Dravid and Ganguly all back in the hut. Tendulkar and Laxman then proceeded to bat for 70.5 overs in compiling a 214-run partnership. Sachin batted masterfully and was ultimately out for 176 off 298 balls (26 fours).

IMO that's as good as a match-winning innings.

deeps

International 12th Man
looking at the score=card...5 centuries and 2 50's were scored in that one match, 2 of them 150's...I think it's highly probably that that pitch was severely in favour of batsman

The windies bowlig line up looks hardly formidable,with only merv dillon as the most recognised quick..cuffy isn't that good..Lawson is going to be a star,but he's still young.

I'm sure he's innings was brilliant and stuff,but looking at the opposition....i dunno..

swaugh made his 200* against the windies,when ambrose,walsh etc. were at their peak

Lara made big scores against australia against warne,mcgrath etc.

Craig

World Traveller
Cuffey is a version of Andrew Flintoff, bowls super accurately but doesnt always get the wickets.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Cuffey is a version of Andrew Flintoff, bowls super accurately but doesnt always get the wickets.
Oh he aint that accurate , remember the ODI's he played downunder in 2000/01 , quite wayward to tell the truth.

Craig

World Traveller
Try 18-15-3-0 in a series of spells in a Test match against India last year, he bowled something like 24 overs conceding about that many of runs or even less. Zaheer Khan ruined his figures.

Mr M will no doubt clarify this if I am wrong.:) 8D