• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Professional XI

TNT

Banned
It would have to be Ponting, the way he captained with some of the biggest egos on the planet (Warne, McGrath, Hayden) and he kept the team focused and professional. Not to mention how he always gave credit to the opposition win or lose.

Dravid, Tendulkar and others found it to difficult to maintain control when captaining.

unam

U19 12th Man
It would have to be Ponting, the way he captained with some of the biggest egos on the planet (Warne, McGrath, Hayden) and he kept the team focused and professional. Not to mention how he always gave credit to the opposition win or lose.

Dravid, Tendulkar and others found it to difficult to maintain control when captaining.
Ponting definitely very passionate about cricket but he has other off field dramas. Sachin doesn't have off field dramas but then he fails the criteria of standing when other failed. :ph34r:

Dravid is one, who was professional and stood when others around him failed.

TNT

Banned
Ponting definitely very passionate about cricket but he has other off field dramas. Sachin doesn't have off field dramas but then he fails the criteria of standing when other failed. :ph34r:

Dravid is one, who was professional and stood when others around him failed.
What are the off field dramas that impinge on Pontings professionalism?.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Abusing the opposition's coach after being run out is one that comes straight to mind.

Technically that's onfield though lol.

TNT

Banned
Abusing the opposition's coach after being run out is one that comes straight to mind.

Technically that's onfield though lol.
If that is your criteria then Dravid and Tendulkar who have both been caught cheating (altering the ball during play) would also miss the cut.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I just didn't expect such a goody-goody definition of professional from you is all :p
That's a fair point. I would say you are right now that I think about it a little more - perhaps I should have used a different word than 'professionalism' to describe the criteria I was thinking about when I made the thread.

You are quite correct that if I am paying someone to play on my behalf, in my mind, the professional thing for them to do would be whatever it takes to get a win. Jardine, in that case, would be the standard bearer.

TNT

Banned
when were Dravid and Tendulkar caught altering the ball??? and what punishment did they get??
I will give you the answer when you tell me about Pontings off field dramas seeing how I asked first.

unam

U19 12th Man
I will give you the answer when you tell me about Pontings off field dramas seeing how I asked first.
breaking TV during 2011 world cup is the one that comes to my mind right now and the one mentioned by Jono, but its on field.

now answer my question :p

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If Ponting gets a run here, it's a joke. Yeah, great player but I don't think giving players out from second slip is particularly professional. Unless you are a professional umpire.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Even the most professional of sportsman have occasional misdemeanors - it's called being human. It shouldn't take away their professionalism "as a whole".

TNT

Banned
breaking TV during 2011 world cup is the one that comes to my mind right now and the one mentioned by Jono, but its on field.

now answer my question :p
Tendulkar 2001, suspended 1 match ban

Dravid 2004 50% match fee fine.

TNT

Banned
If Ponting gets a run here, it's a joke. Yeah, great player but I don't think giving players out from second slip is particularly professional. Unless you are a professional umpire.
Thank you I needed a good laugh this morning.:laugh::laugh:

unam

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar 2001, suspended 1 match ban

Dravid 2004 50% match fee fine.
didn't know that. where was Indian and English Media at that time? they so fast at making fuss out of nothing if done by players from other countries especially Aus and Pak.

TNT

Banned
didn't know that. where was Indian and English Media at that time? they so fast at making fuss out of nothing if done by players from other countries especially Aus and Pak.
Thats the thing unam, if you include anal things like Pontings protector putting a small crack in a TV set in the change rooms then there will not be one player who you can call a professional. It all depends how anal you want to get.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but we're talking about all-time professional. That means small incidents will knock out contenders since we're only selecting 11 from all time.

SS gave a very strict definition because he is a ****ing wanker.

So we're sticking to his definition. Ponting, Tendulkar and Dravid all had incidents which were unprofessional at times and are excluded.

Same with Kumble and him accusing Australia of not being sporting, that knocks him out.

A great nomination is Misbah imo.

unam

U19 12th Man
Thats the thing unam, if you include anal things like Pontings protector putting a small crack in a TV set in the change rooms then there will not be one player who you can call a professional. It all depends how anal you want to get.
Agree with that. Every player would have something that you can bring up against him. and as far as Ponting goes.... he is one of my fav players, as you would see in my welcome post I used to follow Australian cricket mainly because of him.

unam

U19 12th Man
Yeah but we're talking about all-time professional. That means small incidents will knock out contenders since we're only selecting 11 from all time.

SS gave a very strict definition because he is a ****ing wanker.

So we're sticking to his definition. Ponting, Tendulkar and Dravid all had incidents which were unprofessional at times and are excluded.

Same with Kumble and him accusing Australia of not being sporting, that knocks him out.

Misbah is worth mentioning. Kallis also deserves to be mentioned.
What about Country Walsh and Younis Khan? Country Walsh seemed like nice person.

TNT

Banned
No Misbah is a no go, he was fined by the PCB for US$300 for violating the code of conduct during the Eurasia series at Abu Dhabi in April 2006. They were fined because they travelled from Abu Dhabi to Dubai without permission from the manager.