• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
“Peter Forrest has not been included in the ODI squad and will be looking forward to furthering his development batting at number three on the Australian A tour. He will be hoping to find some sunshine and firm pitches."

We have to stop letting them write the press release

Spikey

“The ODI tour together with the Australia A tour will also provide an ideal pathway back to form and confidence for a very fit Mitchell Johnson. "

Ruckus

International Captain
where do we start?

christian back in. good even if what prompted it? what's changed?
smith still in odi side why. but not in t20, thats strange.
fergie for forrest. has the plan changed? but good anyway.
johnson. why is he not banned. not in t20? I thought he had zomg best record ever.
good to see maxwell get a go.
Yeah think the apparent inconsistencies in selection are completely deliberate, and are actually the outcomes of a much more long-term plan. Probably wanted from the start for someone like Forrest to only get a few matches before dropping him. It's the whole Pat Howard 'increasing squad depth' system. At least I hope it is. Obviously better if there is some semblance of a plan here, and not just Hilditch-esque incompetency.

Spikey

Don't like Ferguson coming back. Well I do. he's a better ODI player than Forrest, but I just read it as the selectors panicking after a hard series and changing their plan on a whim, which I don't really like.

Ruckus

International Captain
I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt here. I'd like to think that if legitimately wanted a good OD batsmen they wouldn't have gone with Forrest over Ferguson in the first place, and had to revert to the latter when the decision inevitably backfired. Hoping Ferguson was brought back in simply because they have given enough match time for Forrest now, and they needed to fill the gap with a solid player.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think it's more a case of a "we don't take ODIs" that seriously, with the Aus A tour coming up, evidently they feel that's more important.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Given its the UAE, Maxwell opening in a game to take advantage of a new ball on a flat deck? Wade the only other option to open with Warner.

I think CA realises that the Australia A tour should give them a pretty clear idea of how the Test side stands, and they don't need to blood guys like Forrest in the Pakistan series. More importantly, this series is prep for the T20 World Cup, so getting Ferguson, Maxwell, Christian et al. some game practice in ODIs as well can't be a bad move.

All the guys in the ODI squad have a chance of making the T20 WC team, so I think its a trial for that and getting those guys match practice ahead of time, rather than the England ODI series which was obviously blooding the future Test team.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Simon Keen was back in Sydney over the winter; it'd be awesome if he stayed. Certainly would have more chance of cracking the NSW team than the Victoria side at the moment which wasn't true when he left in the first place.

Any goss on that, brockley?
Playing for Campbelltown. Only averaged 33 in Melbourne Premier Cricket last season. Has never averaged over 40 in a Sydney Grade season. Has averaged over 30 with the ball in the last two grade seasons.

Whilst a very good contributor in grade cricket I don't think you can justify putting him into a Sheffield Shield or One Day side.

Possibly a good fit for Baby Bash or 2nd XI but will be competing with Price.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Don't like Ferguson coming back. Well I do. he's a better ODI player than Forrest, but I just read it as the selectors panicking after a hard series and changing their plan on a whim, which I don't really like.
Nothing wrong with the selectors dropping a few players after getting completely outplayed in the most recent series.

I'm happy Ferguson has been picked and Maxwell. Decent squad..

Spikey

But there's something worrying about selectors doing it one way, and chickening out and going the other way when it doesn't work out in one series.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ronnie McDonald leaves the Renegades, going to be interesting to see who could end up being captain of that mob. Voges?

Not looking good for the Reds, losing Hodge and Ronnie.