• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

toolie

Cricket Spectator
In my eyes Cruickshank is totally unproven in state cricket. If you have to be under 23 then Hughes will be one. Lalor is 24. I would add Tremain as one of the three rookies who is a better seamer than Abbott, van der Gugten or Bills. How does Under 23 team work as Cruickshank and Jacques were playing for them during the season?

Hughes offered a contract on the back of one innings for 2XI? Have NSW not heard on the saying "every dog has its day". Players should only be offered contracts on the back of a continued period of performance or an exceptional innings in the state side e.g. Patterson 100 on debut.

There is a world of difference between state cricket and 2XI cricket and between 2XI cricket and grade cricket. I don't think some of you really appreciate the difference in standard.
I do appreciate the standard difference but NSW as a development system produces some very good cricketers. Fifteen players in the squad this season that have played for Australia in One Day or Test Cricket have been produced by the NSW system(played Junior Cricket in NSW).

Unless the player is a current Test player/very valuable ex Test player or someone on the verge of Test Cricket I would hate to see NSW go after this player. I would have no problems with NSW looking to bring home players such as Tom Cooper or Jackson Bird but everyone has to realise other systems have now given them the oppurtunity and I would imagine they would repay that faith.

In the case of Daniel Hughes I agree entirely but it would seem he has made a contribution at the correct time. He should have had to average two seasons in a row over 50 in grade cricket to represent NSW. But you also have to appreciate that Sydney Grade Cricket has produced 1/3 of all current First Class cricketers in Australia. This would probably be the closest version to First Class Cricket from the Grade competitions around the Country.

Hughes was U23's last season but U24's this season according to a website I looked at. So would have to be a full contract.

Tremain has recieved a full contract.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Agree with toolie, don't agree with Bondi Burger.

Pls find some news someone (brockley) about any of the 5 other states! NSW contracted list isn't the most exciting thing to read about.

Actually I have a question. I hear the season could start as early as September, what are the chances that a few of the early matches will end up being played in Darwin?
Would be good for grade cricket to get some matches out of the way early on in Darwin.

Hopefully they consider it it's not like taking a shield match or two away from each home ground will affect many people(due to obvious crowd number problems).

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Toolie - I don't believe the current pool of players is strong enough to even compete let alone win things and feel that a couple of interstate signings, maybe Bird and Cooper as you suggest, are needed. NSW had 20 players in their squad last season who had played for Australia that figure is now 12. What concerns me is that is a lot of international talent to lose in one go. I take it from this that two other rookie contract players would need to be found from somewhere. No one is really knocking the door down demanding selection.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would be good for grade cricket to get some matches out of the way early on in Darwin.

Hopefully they consider it it's not like taking a shield match or two away from each home ground will affect many people(due to obvious crowd number problems).
Except the people that you are moving to Darwin for the weekend(s) are not professionals. They might have things that they want to do on a Sunday or a Friday as well.

uvelocity

International Coach
Actually I have a question. I hear the season could start as early as September, what are the chances that a few of the early matches will end up being played in Darwin?
Yeah I think so. Darlose, Mackay etc. Read it somewhere a while back I'm sure.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha, took me a few seconds to work out what Darlose is.

I thought I read/heard it too - sweet.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah it's good. Reckon they should play some tests like the old bangas series and the odd odi in regional centres too.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
Except the people that you are moving to Darwin for the weekend(s) are not professionals. They might have things that they want to do on a Sunday or a Friday as well.
No I am talking if you get some of these state matches played out of grade season(usually end of September start). It will allow for more availability of state players into grade cricket and obviously increase the standard.

Should have explained it better.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with toolie, don't agree with Bondi Burger.

Pls find some news someone (brockley) about any of the 5 other states! NSW contracted list isn't the most exciting thing to read about.

Get out of the NSW thread then ****.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Aussie Contract Watch (12 points needed)

2 ODI matches complete and already 5 uncontracted players picked

Brett Lee - 4 points
Steve Smith - 4 points
George Bailey - 2 points
Peter Forest - 2 points
Clint McKay - 2 points

Lee should be contracted by the end of this ODI series, but I hope Smith is not...

brockley

International Captain
Will passon what i get as quick as i can,sadly news is mainly coming from the NSW camps and Tassie camps,the Victorians are likely to sign local names like Keith,Sheridan,Carters,Handscomb and Hill.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Bailey should end up with a contract easily, same with Lee. Thinking that if we play a 6-T20i series against Pakistan followed by the T20i world cup, if somebody gets given a chance against Pakistan and really takes it (Faulker, M Marsh, Birt etc.) they could find themself with a contract.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Get out of the NSW thread then ****.
It might as well be hey. Its crazy the amount of talk that occurs for one of the struggling teams - it would be like the tennis thread being only about Caroline Wozniacki. :)

Bailey should end up with a contract easily, same with Lee. Thinking that if we play a 6-T20i series against Pakistan followed by the T20i world cup, if somebody gets given a chance against Pakistan and really takes it (Faulker, M Marsh, Birt etc.) they could find themself with a contract.
I agree that both Bailey and Lee should get one. Its a little silly really that our T20 captain didn't get an automatic spot really. I wonder if he gets a little bonus for being captain like Clarke does?

Just letting you know that I'm pretty sure that its no longer 6 T20s, but 3 ODIs and 3 T20s.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
^^^I definitely agree that our captains across all 3 formats should get one. I'm not sure what message they are trying to send to Bailey by not giving him one, especially considering he is going to be a consistent ODI squad member and possibly even test fringe player over the next few years.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^^^I definitely agree that our captains across all 3 formats should get one. I'm not sure what message they are trying to send to Bailey by not giving him one, especially considering he is going to be a consistent ODI squad member and possibly even test fringe player over the next few years.
Check the last assumption, I reckon. One iffy season away from Shield oblivion.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
What credentials does Anthony Stuart exactly have as a coach? Didn't he coach one of the NZ domestic teams? IIRC, that stint went terribly.

brockley

International Captain
He was NSW's fast bowling coach before he went over to NZ.(think he coached Wellington i could be wrong).