• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Edit: I'd be happy with ten overs out of those guys, Franklin 5, Nicol 3 and Williamson 2.
Yeah it's a decent enough option if that's what your squad resources dictate but I think the big positive that should come out of having Oram, NcCullum, Bracewell and Mills is that you can play five frontline bowlers without having a rubbish tail. With Oram unfit I'd go with the team you named but with him fit I'd have him in for Franklin there.

1. Nicol
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Ryder
6. McCullum
7. Oram
8. NcCullum
9. Mills
10. Bracewell
11. Southee

12. Franklin

I don't think that side should need any more batting that what it's got, personally. To keep Franklin in the side you'd need to leave Bracewell out.

SeamUp

International Coach
When Ross makes his return to the ODI batting line-up for New Zealand, surely he should slot in at 3 and McCullum must go to 6 and try play a finishing role?

Nicol
Guptill
Taylor
Williamson
Ryder
B.McCullum

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah it's a decent enough option if that's what your squad resources dictate but I think the big positive that should come out of having Oram, NcCullum, Bracewell and Mills is that you can play five frontline bowlers without having a rubbish tail. With Oram unfit I'd go with the team you named but with him fit I'd have him in for Franklin there.

1. Nicol
2. Guptill
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Ryder
6. McCullum
7. Oram
8. NcCullum
9. Mills
10. Bracewell
11. Southee

I don't think that side should need any more batting that what it's got, personally. To keep Franklin in the side you'd need to leave Bracewell out.
Funny we should go for a similar thing. I just think that Taylor would be a good 3 as if an early wicket falls he can come in and take the game to the opposition. Don't think NZL should worry about 3 being to high for him...we're talking ODI cricket, white ball, good wicket, minimal sideways movement.

SeamUp

International Coach
Kepler at his worst!
Tbh I don't mind a few words and the Kiwis are entitled it as I like a bit of needle but only at the right moments.So yeah thats Kepler being Kepler. But sure,not after someone has absolutely smashed you for a 6 that stayed the same height for the majority of the field width.

*cough cough* Timbo Southee

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Meh, Southee can say what he likes, no matter his pace, if he performs well.

All that will happen is Kepler's article will be nailed to the dressing room wall for extra motivation.

Andrew Jones would score a ton then track the bloke down (didn't he do that in Australia once?).

Going to the game tomorrow. It's the most excited I've been about a T20 game, actually.

Before anyone panics, I don't think my jinx is an issue anymore - it was broken with the epic chase against Australia in Hamilton. If we lose, it won't be because of me.
Worked out well by the looks of it.

thierry henry

International Coach
I've always thought of Taylor as a T20 player and a test player. Doesn't have a middle gear to turn over the strike in ODIs. I think it was this innings from 2009 Champions Trophy that epitomised it for me. Just. Could. Not. Score. Singles. He's really best in ODIs when comes in later and can treat it like a T20. I've thought at times he should bat 6 tbh.

Edit: Still has improved as an ODI player as average of 36 attests.
I know it's a long time ago now, but when Taylor first came into the Black Caps he was arguably the best 50-over player we had ever seen in NZ. Had a terrific record. On the other hand, his FC record was only ok, hence it took another 18 months before he got picked for tests. I guess I've always perceived him as a good 50-over player even if the ODI performances haven't shown it. However, his performances in international T20 have been even worse in comparison to how he kills it in domestic T20.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes true, right back at the start of his international career he did seem like more an ODI option. Decent average but not brilliant SR. Combine Taylor with other similar players and can see why we get bogged down in the middle overs sometimes. I'm sure I'll cop flak for this but the sort of Hamish Marshall-like player who could score singles and 2s at a run-a-ball is seriously missing from our ODI middle order. He did do this a few times before becoming ****.

I can't explain his poor T20 international record compared to IPL - seems like an anomaly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes true, right back at the start of his international career he did seem like more an ODI option. Decent average but not brilliant SR. Combine Taylor with other similar players and can see why we get bogged down in the middle overs sometimes. I'm sure I'll cop flak for this but the sort of Hamish Marshall-like player who could score singles and 2s at a run-a-ball is seriously missing from our ODI middle order. He did do this a few times before becoming ****.
Yep; most of your players are very reliant on boundaries to score quickly. That's fine at the top of the innings or even really late in the innings (providing the batsman also has power and the ability to play lofted strokes as a power hitter) but in the middle you could really use someone who scored at a strike rate of 90 or so just by minimising dot balls. Hamish Marshall in the short period he was actually good at cricket is a perfect example.

That's why I'm so keen on Ryder to move to the middle order. Yeah he's not very quick between the wickets and yeah he seems to have converted himself into somewhat of a big filthy slogger lately for some reason but when he's batting well he's the best in the country at effortless scoring singles off good deliveries.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
That's why I'm so keen on Ryder to move to the middle order. Yeah he's not very quick between the wickets and yeah he seems to have converted himself into somewhat a big filthy slogger lately for some reason but when he's batting well he's the best in the country and effortless scoring singles off good deliveries.
Yes am quietly hopeful thought not holding my breath that he will play this role.

Predictions: After the débâcle of the last T20, we need to win this match or else South Africa will run away with the ODI series and win the tests comfortably.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, it's a disappointing turnout so far. Looks like only a couple of thousand.

thierry henry

International Coach
wtf? A perfect Saturday afternoon against top class opposition and we get the smallest crowd of the season, including all of the Zimbabwe games?

GAGF Wellington ****s

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
My brother plays club cricket in Wellington - of course they have scheduled matches for today so he can't go to the ODI.

Mike5181

International Captain
I have to disagree with Richards on that. It was a clear wide. The batsman didn't move out of his stance at all.