• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did I see a large section of the Basin crowd standing to applaud that 50-run opening stand?!

It has been a while, to be fair.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Highest opening partnership vs. SA in 13 years.

Noteworthy.
I wasn't actually being sarcastic if it came across that way - just had told myself I would wait til he got to 20 before declaring him the greatest cricketer in the history of the greatest sport in the universe, which he now is.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Pitch if very flat and it's nearly the end of day three. Perhaps you're being a bit unfair to Nicol.:)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do like Nicol. I rate him highly in ODIs, and I'd back him to be vaguely decent as a middle-order player in Tests with a spate of injuries to our first-choice players. But he's really not a Test opener. There's no way he'd still be out there if he was playing this game.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes I agree but he probably had more of an uphill battle than this pair have.
Steyn and Morkel have both bowled better than they have been for most of this series today. Philander not being an absolute destroyer of worlds and being able to nip it around corners is a significant factor though. Probably just a bit easier today than it has been so far.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Please don't lose a wicket in the last two overs - that would be a typical NZ thing to do. At the moment this is a good fightback.

Flem274*

123/5
The big test for Flynn is can he convert his starts? I lost count of how many times he got to 40 and got out in his last incarnation.

If he's turned that mental corner, I reckon he's a test batsman. Maybe not as an opener, but definitely middle order material.

With that said, a ton here would confirm him as able to open at test level. That's a long, long, way away though.

Flem274*

123/5
Despite knowing we're going to get smoked in this series, the summer has been a success in terms of finding test standard players.

I'd say we won this day as well. We're still ****ed though. If we can win the next two days we just might make a game of it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Despite knowing we're going to get smoked in this series, the summer has been a success in terms of finding test standard players.

I'd say we won this day as well. We're still ****ed though. If we can win the next two days we just might make a game of it.
Nah, there's simply not enough time. Even if we bat really well tomorrow, it'll take us all day just to get close enough to SA to put them back in, which means we'd have to bowl them out in 40 or 50 overs on day 5. Even without Kallis and Amla, that just isn't going to happen, especially with Dan bowling the way he is.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, there's simply not enough time. Even if we bat really well tomorrow, it'll take us all do just to get close enough to SA to put them back in, which means we'd have to bowl them out in 40 or 50 overs on day 5. Even without Kallis and Amla, that just isn't going to happen, especially with Dan bowling the way he is.
Kill 'em all and let Dougeh sort 'em out.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The big test for Flynn is can he convert his starts? I lost count of how many times he got to 40 and got out in his last incarnation.

If he's turned that mental corner, I reckon he's a test batsman. Maybe not as an opener, but definitely middle order material.

With that said, a ton here would confirm him as able to open at test level. That's a long, long, way away though.
He's already confirmed his ability to be an opener at NZ level I'd say.