• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Hong Kong Sixes

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Craig said:
But isnt that why they are treated as exibithational matches? Go out and throw the bat and hit an easy boundary.

I reckon I could do well with the bat in the Hong Kong sixes - and I tend to bat like Courtney Walsh and Glenn McGrath.
My batting is based more on Bevan and Dravid-timing, placement, and a ***y cover drive 8D . Well i hope it is.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It takes some getting used to, this game of cricket. I was fortunate - my first game was Kent v South Africa, 1965 - and I was dragged to it kicking and screaming by my father. An unbeaten double by Graeme Pollock and I was hooked - as anyone in their right mind would be.

Now, if I have the opportunity in years to come to indoctrinate any grandkids into the game, I would baulk at a test match or (shudder) a county game if the kid concerned was younger than a teen - attention span - but I would have no hesitation in taking them to a Twenty20, six-a-side or the like (for a start, it's more akin to the type of game they would be playing in the playground).

Craig

World Traveller
Richard's favourite cricketer - is the excat reason why I love cricket.

When I was living in NZ, Aravdina de Silva was playing for Auckland, my dad switched it on for some reason (he's not that interested in the game), and I couldnt help myself and watch, iI was hooked.

deeps

International 12th Man
why in the world isn't shahid afridi playing for pakistan??? this is his type of game..go out and whack..afridi is an awesome fielder and a pretty good bowler as wel...he seems 2 have fallen out of favour for some reason

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
why in the world isn't shahid afridi playing for pakistan??? this is his type of game..go out and whack..afridi is an awesome fielder and a pretty good bowler as wel...he seems 2 have fallen out of favour for some reason
Well, his form at Derbyshire in the early part of last season indicated that they were made for each other. His first game was indicative of what to expect.....

Whack. 6.
Swipe. Out.

I think that the reason he has disappeared from the international scene is that having a player whose approach to batting seems to be out-and-out slogging is a liability to the side. If he just tempered it a little onn occasion, I'm sure there would be a place for him somewhere

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Forgot about this competition, i am glad England won so the Twenty20 is coming into some use
Not sure how Twenty20 can get the credit for this - we won it a year or 2 back I seem to remember, and of the squad who went here, don't remember too many of them being Twenty20 stars!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Well, his form at Derbyshire in the early part of last season indicated that they were made for each other. His first game was indicative of what to expect.....

Whack. 6.
Swipe. Out.

I think that the reason he has disappeared from the international scene is that having a player whose approach to batting seems to be out-and-out slogging is a liability to the side. If he just tempered it a little onn occasion, I'm sure there would be a place for him somewhere
Shahid almost seems proud of his out-and-out slogger tag, and seems keen to live-up to it.
That sort of approach to batting simply doesn't work at the top level, as his recent ODI form and that for Derbys demonstrates.
Shahid has batted well of times in ODIs, but he's just lost it completely for the last couple of years.
However, I'd still be surprised if he wasn't picked for a five-over slog.