• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Davisons day out

Andre

International Regular
iamdavid said:
Davo being talked about as a possibility for Australia A later this year.

Does anyone know if he's eligable after playing for Canada so recently??.
From what he's told me, he is. He hecked up on it all before the World Cup.

Andre

International Regular
furious_ged said:
He has a pretty impressive limited overs record but from what I've seen of him he's a pie chucker. He'd get murdered on the first class scene.
Wrong. Ashley Mallett, one of the most respected cricketing authorities on spin bowling, rates him as a potential Test cricketer.

You watch - he was given a defensive role in Victoria which doesn't suit him. He'll be far better in South Australia as an attacking off-spinner.

iamdavid

International Debutant
T.C what are you're impressions of Shaun Tait , looks like he's got a lot of potential to me, was swinging it both ways early on & he's quick enough , just reckon he needs to improve his control & straighten out that action , he bowls across him self & twists his back around ATM , I reckon if he keeps that action he's gonna have huge back problems.

Andre

International Regular
Although I'm not Corey, I agree with you 110%. That action just does not look smooth to me - while he's got cleary so much potential, until he sorts his action out he might just very well be the kind of player that follows up a strong match with a very poor one.

Consistency might just be a problem until that action is sorted - it just puts too much strain on his body.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Yeah , he actually reminds me of Damien Flemming in the early 90's , he used to be guenuinely quick aswell , then he had injury problems & changed his action (which was very similar to Tait's) & became a just above medium swing bowler.
I dont see Tait doing that though.

They will also have to consider Damen Wright for Australia A , superb form with bat & ball.

Andre said:
You watch - he was given a defensive role in Victoria which doesn't suit him. He'll be far better in South Australia as an attacking off-spinner.
True, as an attacking off-spinner he's done fine for SA in the shorter version, but I don't think he's going to have much reward on the first class scene. A lot of the time batsmen seem to have him worked out pretty well, and I don't think he's got a lot to penetrate their defences.

Craig

World Traveller
IMO I wonder how he (Tait) or any young quick get into the FC scene with poor actions? Surely at the acadmies they go to, they would of noticed it and fixed it.

It's not that bad is it? Cleary's has got to be worse!
Tait probably puts more strain into his action though with a few yards more pace.

iamdavid

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
It's not that bad is it? Cleary's has got to be worse!
Tait probably puts more strain into his action though with a few yards more pace.
Cleary's isnt actually that bad , it just looks worse because his arms are flailing around everywhere , he actually keeps pretty straight & has a great seam position.

Very true. It's a nice action to watch, though, I think. The 9 commentators today were talking about how it's not very good though.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:
Cleary's isnt actually that bad , it just looks worse because his arms are flailing around everywhere , he actually keeps pretty straight & has a great seam position.
Does Clearys action remind you of anyone? I think it does but can't think of who.:( Anyone know?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
T.C what are you're impressions of Shaun Tait , looks like he's got a lot of potential to me, was swinging it both ways early on & he's quick enough , just reckon he needs to improve his control & straighten out that action , he bowls across him self & twists his back around ATM , I reckon if he keeps that action he's gonna have huge back problems.
Shaun looks great to me. He can be a bit hit-and-miss as far as the radar goes but when he gets it right, he can rip through most batting orders. I saw him get clocked at 144km/h in the nets when he was 17 so I reckon he could go quite a bit quicker.

As for his action, I think his problem stems from his collapsed front leg. His run-up is good and he generally does swing through his action nicely (except when he slings the ball a bit) but when he hits the crease, he's bowling far lower than he should be and tends to skid onto the bat. That shouldn't happen with a bowler who's around 6'3". Once the way he doesn't stand up in his bowling stride is fixed, I think the rest will fall into place because as far as basics go, he does most things really well.

Does Clearys action remind you of anyone? I think it does but can't think of who. Anyone know?
I wondered this as well and checked out my footage of the 1995 Sheffield Shield final and yep, Mark Cleary's action is VERY reminiscent of one Jason Gillespie at 22 years of age. Similarly paced too. The similarity is quite striking. All you young'uns might not remember Gillespie from the early days but he's not always been very quick at all. I'll be interested to see if Cleary develops the same sort of pace Gillespie did in his third season.

Andre

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
Mark Cleary's action is VERY reminiscent of one Jason Gillespie at 22 years of age. Similarly paced too. The similarity is quite striking. All you young'uns might not remember Gillespie from the early days but he's not always been very quick at all. I'll be interested to see if Cleary develops the same sort of pace Gillespie did in his third season.
I most certainly remember Gillespie when he first emerged on the domestic scene.

He was military medium really, and now, funnily enough, he bowls within himself!

iamdavid

International Debutant
I've seen video of Gillespie bowling in 1995 & the thing that struck me was the run up , he would dawdle in off a run up that would make Thomo take notice then let it go in the mid 120's.

Mr. P

Thread Raised

Thats right, everyones favourite Ofiicial John Davison related thread has returned!

Expect more updates to come!:)

Mr. P

Recent Matches

Davo has done very well, at least bowling wise, in South Australias recent loss to the Vics. He picked up 4 wickets in the second innings.

Summary:

1st innings

Bat: 28 runs (3 sixes:O :D )

Bowl: 0 wickets:(

2nd innings

Bat: 13 runs (3 fours:P )

Bowl: 4 wickets:D :cool2: 8D