• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12

MrPrez

International Debutant
Haha, Ntini only started bowling with a hard ball when he was 15, so at 16 I'm ahead :ph34r:

Seriously though, my parents won't let me play club so I'm pretty stuffed. My school team is more social than anything, so I get minimal serious cricket :(

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Chris Morris where did he come from? Bats at good position. Looking at our allrounders is he good enough to get into the ODI set up? He's stats are'nt too shabby. If he can get into the lions as a number 6 who bowls first change, he will be useful. Taking of that i tend to think at domestic level you need to have a 6-5 split, with a wickie in the top six. I just think average batsmen are bailed out by the lower order and lower order batsmen who can improve and become decent dont get enough batting time.

SeamUp

International Coach
I think with the inconsistency with the national side, there will be huge competition for places in all formats and the SA 'A' is vitally important and its good to see that they have been getting more games in the last 2 years because there was a period of it almost being forgotten.

So we should batch players from each franchise with who is in the mix in all formats for SA and SA 'A'.

COBRAS
Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis, JP Duminy, Richard Levi, Stiaan Van Zyl
Mark Boucher (+)
Robin Peterson
Dale Steyn, Vernon Philander, Rory Kleinveldt

WARRIORS
Colin Ingram, Ashwell Prince
Johan Botha
Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Wayne Parnell, Rusty Theron

DOLPHINS
Hashim Amla, Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, Dave Miller
Daryn Smit (+)
Imran Tahir

KNIGHTS
Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw
Ryan McLaren, Quinton Friend

LIONS
Alviro Petersen, Jonathan Vandiar
Thami Tsolekile (+)

TITANS
Jacques Rudolph,AB De Villiers, Faf Du Plessis,Albie Morkel
Heino Kuhn (+)
Paul Harris, Roelof Van der Merwe
Morne Morkel, Marchant De Lange, Hardus Viljoen

Tough on players like Puttick and Cook but they may be pushing on in years and behind quite a few already as openers.

Rookies who aren't regulars yet or who haven't put the stats down over time yet but have potential are three spinners Dale Deeb (Lions) and Dane Piedt (Cobras) and Simon Harmer (Warriors) and even fast bowler Beuran Hendricks (Cobras).

U19 PLAYERS

James Price, Diego Rosier, Shaylen Pillay
Quinton De Kock (+)
Prenelan Subrayen
Calvin Savage, Jan Frylinck, Corne Dry, Craig Kirsten

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Colin Ingram has found his mojo out of nowhere in the longer version of the game. A couple of hundreds and a 90 not out.

SeamUp

International Coach
Can't wait for the SA u19 series to get started. There is still the Franchise Cubs week from the 2nd to 6th Jan where the squad is selected.

Look forward Rosier now that he is older, after making the SA u19 squad at 16 bat higher and maybe bowl a few more of his leg-breaks. In the last year he has also won SA schools pro20 player of year, SA schools player and all-rounder of the week as well. Seen him bat once for his school and he looked classy and also bowled both a leg-break and googly decently.

DIEGO ROSIER

SeamUp

International Coach
Poor Ashwell Prince, so many batsmen suddenly gaining form.
Yeah you could probably group in that the 4 young batsman impressing in the longer format were Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Stiaan Van Zyl and Rilee Rossouw. Obviously they can play the shorter format as well.

Colin Ingram, Faf Du Plessis, Dave Miller, Jono Vandiar and Richard Levi are our batsman for the shorter formats but Ingram and Faf both in the 4 day runs lately.

SeamUp

International Coach
Imho Prince's Test career is over.
I agree mate, he just can't play spin at international level at all when he used to at least fight against a Shane Warne with that 100 against Australia at SCG as example.

So you reckon they will give Rudolph the chance in the middle order and open with Alviro at Newlands? I would be willing to give that a go.

Both Alviro and Jacques have been our most recent players playing county cricket so its a pity Rudolph has performed the way he has but for example his knowledge of Headingley could be handy. But he needs to get the runs first.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Did you also get the impression of Prince being a selfish prat in the Amla run out?

Amla would have got home comfortably enough and he had played the shot and was running to the danger end. Prince is quick and I am sure he would have got home...but to me Prince just turned his back and for the safety of his career he didn't go with his partners call when it was his and as I said before...I bet if Prince went for it, he would have made it.

Thta enough should see the end of Prince's test career.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
it paines me to say it but some of our test players play for far too long. I mean, can we still defend boucher and Prince? They have given us so much joy, but they incapable right now. I genuienly hate boucher now, i feel his inclusion is a disgrace. Imagine u put in the hard yards at first class level, and you get overlooked. As for Rudolph i fill so sad for him. Talented player but very fragile. BMT is lacking in many players, sad but true. Btw explain to me what is refered to as a good glovemen? My thinking is if the keeper does not drop chances, does not miss stumpings he should get the gig. Too many times i think we get caught up in aesthetics. I do not give a damn how a keeper looks, aslong as he does not drop chances im all for him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Simon Harmer ripping through the Cobras with his attacking off-spin at Paarl.
No surprises to see JP fall to him. Is Harmer an "orthodox" offie or does he have a doosra and likely a dodgy action to boot?

Warriors got a lot of young talented spinners coming through.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Prenelan Subrayen not played much provincial cricket this season. Surprising after how good he was in England with RSA U19. They couldn't get him off the square. Hope he doesn't turn into another Vallie and turns up a few years time as a batsman. Vallie was for me an exciting bowler foremost when he was playing for Parnell's U19 side but like Vandiar these guys just don't bowl anymore. Shame.

SeamUp

International Coach
No surprises to see JP fall to him. Is Harmer an "orthodox" offie or does he have a doosra and likely a dodgy action to boot?

Warriors got a lot of young talented spinners coming through.
Very much "orthodox". Flight and turn is his game with no doosra.

SeamUp

International Coach
Prenelan Subrayen not played much provincial cricket this season. Surprising after how good he was in England with RSA U19. They couldn't get him off the square. Hope he doesn't turn into another Vallie and turns up a few years time as a batsman. Vallie was for me an exciting bowler foremost when he was playing for Parnell's U19 side but like Vandiar these guys just don't bowl anymore. Shame.
The reason they find it difficult to get games this season is they are in matric, and there is mid-year exams, prelims and final exams during the first half of summer. Then all the u19 cricket takes place when school is finished like the Coke Week, Cubs week and SA u19 international season.

You've got to be at a provincial team that gives school boys games which is a pity. WP, Free State and Northerns don't give schoolboys opportunities. So a player like Corne' Dry would have got his debut at another union by now.

But luckily Subrayen, Savage, Pillay and Rosier play at unions that will give schoolboys games. Other schoolboys have got games but mainly last season like the Boland foursome of Frylinck, Bredenkamp, Williams and Englebrecht. Hopefully Craig Kirsten will get his debut soon.

The reason this SA u19 side could be very good is that through pedigree the more successful players do well and get into the SA colts or schools team before their final year. De Kock, Pillay, Rosier, Savage, Frylinck, Kirsten and Dry have all done it. Understandable for a spinner to maybe not make it but Subrayen was Schools captain this year.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Shame there isn't more runs for the Lions to get because Vandiar won't get the opportunity to get that overdue FC century.