• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best fast bowler in the world right now - Tests

Who is the bet fast bowler in Tests - Any conditions

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Steyn quite clearly the best fast bowler in the world. I suspect though that barring injury Stuart Broad could very well end up a better fast bowler than Steyn and will almost certainly end up a better bowler than Anderson.

smash84

The Tiger King
Steyn quite clearly the best fast bowler in the world. I suspect though that barring injury Stuart Broad could very well end up a better fast bowler than Steyn and will almost certainly end up a better bowler than Anderson.
TEC I am not sure about this I read somebody else saying this about you but apparently before the England-India series you said that Broad was complete **** and after this series you are praising him to the skies. Is this correct? :unsure:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn, no contest, Anderson at home or in favourable conditions is clearly second. These two bowling in tandem with Swann would be a joy to watch, particularly Steyn.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
steyn quite clearly the best fast bowler in the world. I suspect though that barring injury stuart broad could very well end up a better fast bowler than steyn and will almost certainly end up a better bowler than anderson.
:-o

tooextracool

International Coach
TEC I am not sure about this I read somebody else saying this about you but apparently before the England-India series you said that Broad was complete **** and after this series you are praising him to the skies. Is this correct? :unsure:
Quite possibly, though its hard to deny that he wasn't complete **** before the India series. Sometimes players have breakthrough series where they change opinions. I said for a good 6 years (before his breakthrough series in SA in 06/07) that Zaheer was ****, because the reality was that he sprayed it around and had few skills to work with. Zaheer, Anderson (who's breakthrough series came against SA in 2008) and Broad average over 30 in test cricket because they played umpteen test matches without good reason and hence have and will spend the vast majority of their career trying to get their bowling averages to a respectable level.

Now perhaps you can accuse me of being hasty with Broad, given that he's only bowled with sustained excellence for one series. Nonetheless, he performed to a level that I didn't think he was ever capable of. In a four test period, you would struggle to find a spell where he bowled poorly. I could be wrong, but I believe that if he bowls the way he did against India he will take wickets anywhere in the world. The fact of the matter is that 99% of bowlers in the world would kill to have his natural attributes - 6'6, a smooth, easy action which makes the most of his height and the skill and ability to get the ball to swing and move off the pitch.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think it's good when people admit that their opinions change. Just because you said a player was crap 5 years ago, and 5 years later they become good, doesn't mean you are necessarily wrong (unless of course you say that player will never be good).

But you've gone from saying Broad is rubbish to saying he could very well end up better than Steyn. That is a pretty big jump.

Good on you though for saying your opinion changed. I respect that.

tooextracool

International Coach
But you've gone from saying Broad is rubbish to saying he could very well end up better than Steyn. That is a pretty big jump.
It is no doubt, but I could also say that Broad's performance this series is a big jump from what we've seen from him in the past. Talent wise he's always had it but that hasn't prevented him from bowling poorly. When you look at his skill set and attributes, he has pretty much everything you'd want from a fast bowler. Dale Steyn and Jimmy Anderson aren't quite as lucky.

It's all subjective anyways, he might regress back to the norm but my personal opinion is that he's just better now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha it is so clearly Steyn.

I reckon it would go if we lived in a better world:

Steyn
The older cheat
Daylight
Anderson
That Zaheer ****
The younger cheat
Daylight
Taylor, Morkel, Every Aussie, Every Pom, Edwards
Daylight (and Umar Gul)
Praveen, Sharma, Martin, Southee and the other major nation non-regulars
Daylight
Rest of Asia (besides the random Pakistani guns)

Flem274*

123/5
Haha it is so clearly Steyn.

I reckon it would go if we lived in a better world:

Steyn
The older cheat
Daylight
Anderson
That Zaheer ****
The younger cheat
Daylight
Taylor, Morkel, Every Aussie, Every Pom, Edwards
Daylight (and Umar Gul)
Praveen, Sharma, Martin, Southee and the other major nation non-regulars
Daylight
Rest of Asia (besides the random Pakistani guns)
No way is Edwards on the same level as Morkel, or better than Marto.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Every Aussie and Every Pom on the same level is an interesting opinion.

Bresnan and Tremlett a good rung ahead of Hifernhaus and Siddle for mine.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Every Aussie and Every Pom on the same level is an interesting opinion.

Bresnan and Tremlett a good rung ahead of Hifernhaus and Siddle for mine.
I reckon Johnson is better than Bresnan and Tremlett (well he is when he fires, perhaps not overall) and Bolly when fit is a real gun. I'd probably concede Hilfy and Siddle are below those two though. But Finn is a shunt and I hate him so the teams balance out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon Johnson is better than Bresnan and Tremlett (well he is when he fires, perhaps not overall) and Bolly when fit is a real gun. I'd probably concede Hilfy and Siddle are below those two though. But Finn is a shunt and I hate him so the teams balance out.
How can you hate Finn? Such a nice boring man. What is there to hate?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did any of you hear Steyn recently saying that he thought Anderson was the best bowler in the world. I don't agree with that but I thought it was interesting.
well he's hardly gonna say himself. And Anderson has got a pretty clear lead as 2nd best bowler too.