• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?

Do Bangladesh Deserve Test Status?

• Yes

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In light of what happened once they got a competent coach..

Let's see what the opinions are now (I can't find an older thread.. :P)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The wiser sages of Cricket Web maintained a year ago that given the opportunity and encouragement, they would improve.

I just wish they had beaten Pakistan when they had the opportunity (nothing against Pakistan - just don't fancy England being their first victims)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly there can be no denying Bangladesh's pedigree at Test level if the last 2 games are anything to go by (and you're only as bad as your last game or two).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
If England and Pakistan do, then Bangladesh do. Besides, it's not doing them any harm playing against better nations.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They didn't deserve their status at the time (based on the justification given) but now, they certainly deserve to keep it. I really enjoyed watching some of them play when they were out here (guys like Mortaza have the potential to be a real leader of the attack and make things difficult for the best batsmen).

They are a team I'd pay to watch now, for sure. Good on them for improving out of sight like they have in the face of pretty stern criticism of them.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they do. All teams struggle when they first enter the test arena. I'm going from memory (I could be wrong) but it took the West Indies, India, South Africa and New Zealand a long time before they were competitive. All teams go through lean phases and strong phases (even Australia) so who knows in twenty years Bangladesh could be the Australia of this decade?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
They didn't deserve their status at the time (based on the justification given) but now, they certainly deserve to keep it. I really enjoyed watching some of them play when they were out here (guys like Mortaza have the potential to be a real leader of the attack and make things difficult for the best batsmen).

i agree, they were given test status before their internal status was good enough, now that is catching up and they are improving as a side, and will continue to do so, i dont think it will be long before they start winning some tests

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
Now that they have been given test status, no point in thinking about taking it away. Efforts should be made to improve the team. And ICC should make sure they don't make similar mistakes again... eg... Kenya.

iamdavid

International Debutant
When they were initially given test status I felt a little sorry for Kenya who were clearly a better team at the time & their infrastructure was no worse than Bangladesh's.

However there can be no doubting that they have improved out of sight since then & deserve thier test place.

Now they just gotta start to capitalise on these good starts & they will start to win a few.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I didnt think they deserved it at the time, but i have changed of late. Bangla have made giant steps and at the moment, should stay.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
:O :O WOW 19 out of 20 (including me) stick with Bangladesh! Who would have expected this a couple of months back??:)

Legglancer

State Regular
Needles to say I am pleased as punch of the way the Bangla boys have raised their standard of late. However I think they still have to work on their confidence and start to believe in themselves. When you lose consecative matchers the way they have done .... players can get mentally scarred and lose hope. This was quite evident to me at the last world cup when even Canada beat Bangladesh. Personally being a Canadian I was overjoyed of out victory but it broke my heart to see the Bangladesh team filled with so much dispair. My friends in the Canadian team were saying that they were all weeping profusely.

I may be wrong but I think Bangladesh now needs a good sports psychologist to work on "how not to shoot yourself on the foot" and firmly believe that they are in controle of their destiny.:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Incidentally, before Bangladesh came into existence, how many East Pakistanis made the Pakistan test sides?

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes, they definitely know how to play the game.

On their recent tour of Australia, I did notice a number of players (can't remember any of their names) who showed enough to suggest that they have the potential to become more competitive in the near future.

Their maiden test victory will come in the next year or two.