• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook is England's ODI Captain

Howe_zat

Audio File

Reasons why Swanny should be the T20 captain:

1) He's undroppable

2) He already assists Colly in the field and often sets his own fields

3) He bowls with a consistent 4-post-powerplay-overs plan, so he wouldn't bowl himself selfishly

4) He's got the dressing room behind him

5) He'd bring Jimmy back into the side

6) He'd give the best post-match interviews
:p

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What exactly was wrong with giving it to Swann?
Exactly my thoughts.

He is the only one who is seemingly guaranteed a place in all formats.

Seems to have a good cricketing brain too ,though may get into some trouble with being loud in the media.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Being guaranteed a place in all formats isn't really an issue when you've decided to pick three captains though.

Definitely a big about-change, as when KP was appointed in 2008 it was on the basis of wanting one skipper for all.

Hopefully this is a sign that we're not going to pick wicket-keepers (or anything else) for one format based on another, anymore.

Although I'm still happy to give Morgan Colly's Test spot, FTR

tooextracool

International Coach
Certainly for the t20 format I'm a little surprised that Swann was not chosen as captain. Broad seems to be highly remarked in England circles for his intellect, especially by Vaughan who seems to have gone to painstaking lengths to get this across, though I'm not quite sure if this has exactly been on show at the international level.

3 captains does seem a little odd to me, which is why I would have gone for Swann in both limited over formats.

Spark

Global Moderator
We almost ended up with the situation by chance at the start of the year tbf, where Ponting was still thought of as Test captain, White was T20 captain and Clarke had captained so many ODIs in the past six months that people were getting used to seeing him there. Not that weird, and in a way I like it because it emphasizes the fact that form/class in one format does not necessarily translate across to the others, but of course this assumes that you pick your best captain - or close to - for each format, which I'm not sure Cook is. Looks more of a "blooding" process to me. Broad is fair enough.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Certainly for the t20 format I'm a little surprised that Swann was not chosen as captain. Broad seems to be highly remarked in England circles for his intellect, especially by Vaughan who seems to have gone to painstaking lengths to get this across, though I'm not quite sure if this has exactly been on show at the international level.
I understood that Broad and Anderson were pretty much in control of the bowling tactics on the field at the moment. I'm not sure why people are pushing for Swann. He's 32 years old, and I don't remember him being captain anywhere before. I doubt he'd even want to be captain, it would surely cramp his style.

Spark

Global Moderator
I hope Broad lives up to expectations. Sledging at the toss would be a good start.
Actually think there's a non-trivial chance that Broad could become Ponting redux in terms of losing his temper on the field. Don't think he'll sledge too much though, just lose his rag on occasions and be a frequent abuser of the double teapot. No misfield will go un-teapotted.

Jacknife

International Captain
I understood that Broad and Anderson were pretty much in control of the bowling tactics on the field at the moment. I'm not sure why people are pushing for Swann. He's 32 years old, and I don't remember him being captain anywhere before. I doubt he'd even want to be captain, it would surely cramp his style.
Agree, don't get the Swann for Captain push. Doesn't fit with his personality, don't think he's ever captained any side and like you say he's 32, personally would rather he concentrated on just his bowling, I don't think he needs any distractions.
Broad and Cook are both young enough to carry the teams to the next WC's and beyond if successful, so I've no real problem with that, as long as Cook performs.
Personally I think, Broad will make a good captain, he obviously has a good cricket brain and imo the Captaincy, will add maturity to his game.

Jacknife

International Captain
Actually think there's a non-trivial chance that Broad could become Ponting redux in terms of losing his temper on the field. Don't think he'll sledge too much though, just lose his rag on occasions and be a frequent abuser of the double teapot. No misfield will go un-teapotted.
It will be a unwritten rule, under his Captaincy.

Spark

Global Moderator
If Broad has really been helping to set England's plans at his age then it's a good sign. I think he'll do a pretty good job (my views on him as a player are clear, tl;dr I rate him) but he needs to work on the "maturity" side of it a little, especially towards his own teammates (one incident in the Ireland game comes to mind where he berated a fielder for not saving some runs/boundary on the legside IIRC - how about you don't bowl it there, Stuart? Did it a bit at Brisbane too when catches were being dropped off his bowling). Blowing up at opposition players - meh, it's unfortunate but it doesn't really matter as far as leading your team goes, but at your own players, it's bad. Mind you, 18 months ago Shane Watson was prancing up and down two feet away from Chris Gayle's face like a little girl, so these things can change in a hurry with responsibility.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Really surprised with Broad's appointment.I think it will end in shambles.He doesn't come across as someone who can inspire a team IMO.

Jacknife

International Captain
Really surprised with Broad's appointment.I think it will end in shambles.He doesn't come across as someone who can inspire a team IMO.
Who'd have thought Afridi, would make a decent captain.
Personally, I think, the added responsibility, will bring maturity to his game. It's only in T20, so it's hardly test cricket, it's a good place, to see if he's up to it.

Last edited: