• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2012 World T20 Qualification

After a Test only World Cup how many teams should be in World T20

• Total voters

jashan83

U19 Captain
Americas Division 3 (T20) Championship 2011

WINNER:- BELIZE

PHP:
                   P   W   L  Pts      NRR
Belize             5   5   0   10     3.32
Peru               5   4   1    8     1.79
Chile              5   3   2    6    -0.07
Mexico             5   2   3    4    -1.01
Costa Rica         5   1   4    2    -1.59
Falkland Islands   5   0   5    0    -4.36

# Belize beat Falkland Islands by 132 runs.

# Peru beat Chile by 40 runs.

# Belize beat Peru by 4 wickets.

# Chile beat Costa Rica by 5 wickets.

# Mexico beat Falkland Islands by 10 wickets.

# Chile beat Mexico by 4 wickets.

# Costa Rica beat Falkland Islands by 65 runs.

# Peru beat Costa Rica by 31 runs.

# Chile beat Falkland Islands by 9 wickets.

# Belize beat Mexico by 19 runs.

# Peru beat Mexico by 9 wickets.

# Belize beat Costa Rica by 7 wickets.

# Peru beat Falkland Islands by 104 runs.

# Belize beat Chile by 5 wickets.

# Mexico beat Costa Rica by 95 runs.

FINAL STANDING
1. Belize (Qualify for Americas T20 Div 2
2. Peru
3. Chile
4. Mexico
5. Costa Rica
6. Falkland Islands

Last edited:

juro

U19 12th Man
Wait a second. I saw a video on the ICC website talking about the tournament, and it said Belize won the final against Panama, scoring 356 and winning by 234. I thought that was a massive effort for a T20 game. Then I tracked down the scorecard and it was a 50 over game.

Why are they using 50 over results as a T20 qualifier???

jashan83

U19 Captain
Wait a second. I saw a video on the ICC website talking about the tournament, and it said Belize won the final against Panama, scoring 356 and winning by 234. I thought that was a massive effort for a T20 game. Then I tracked down the scorecard and it was a 50 over game.

They did not use a 50 over as qualifier for T20. In fact both EAP Div 2 & Americas Div 2 were T20 tournaments. But in both cases the final was a 50 over tournament. Reason was simple, the winner of both these tournament had to qualify for WCL Div 8. Hence for that purpose they kept a 50 over finals

The WCL Div 8 has 8 teams. 2 teams are relegated from Div 7 (Div 7 will happen in May), 3rd from previous Div 8 (Vanuatu) and 1 team from each region (Samoa from EAP, Suriname from Americas, Bhutan from Asia, Africa and Europe have to be decided).
Earlier there used to be a 50 over tournament. Now since a WT20Q needed to be held and regions do not have money to have both 50 and T20 tournament, hence the required matches are held in 50 over format and used for qualification

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
They did not use a 50 over as qualifier for T20. In fact both EAP Div 2 & Americas Div 2 were T20 tournaments. But in both cases the final was a 50 over tournament. Reason was simple, the winner of both these tournament had to qualify for WCL Div 8. Hence for that purpose they kept a 50 over finals

The WCL Div 8 has 8 teams. 2 teams are relegated from Div 7 (Div 7 will happen in May), 3rd from previous Div 8 (Vanuatu) and 1 team from each region (Samoa from EAP, Suriname from Americas, Bhutan from Asia, Africa and Europe have to be decided).
Earlier there used to be a 50 over tournament. Now since a WT20Q needed to be held and regions do not have money to have both 50 and T20 tournament, hence the required matches are held in 50 over format and used for qualification
I really hate that concept. It might save lot of expense but it shows how amateur their organizational structure is. Its like street cricket, make rules as u wish.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Norwegian, yeah. Have a Swedish great-great-great-grandparent, that's about it as far as foreign influence goes. :p
The girlfriend is Swedish. Before she met me, she thought cricket was some sort of sport like tennis. Now she actually knows what it is, she hates it even more :laugh: I'll turn her!

turnstyle

State 12th Man

Wait ...you mean the same ICC that knocked finalists Namibia out of the Intercontinental Cup based on their 50 over results. Get outta here! :laugh:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
The girlfriend is Swedish. Before she met me, she thought cricket was some sort of sport like tennis. Now she actually knows what it is, she hates it even more :laugh: I'll turn her!
Haha good luck there :p My girlfriend is Dutch, she remains skeptical of the sport but was at least angered on behalf of Oranje when the ICC announced the cut-down.

juro

U19 12th Man
From my experience, it is easier to get girls from non-cricketing countries to like cricket than to change the mind of girls from cricketing countries who have already decided they don't like it. My wife is Vietnamese and had virtually no knowledge of the game before I met her. She picked it up quickly and loves it. No wonder I married her...

jashan83

U19 Captain
From my experience, it is easier to get girls from non-cricketing countries to like cricket than to change the mind of girls from cricketing countries who have already decided they don't like it. My wife is Vietnamese and had virtually no knowledge of the game before I met her. She picked it up quickly and loves it. No wonder I married her...
Good insight Juro. Guess Chinese are smart enough to realize that. That is why they are developing their Women's cricket team as they understand that becoming numero uno in women's cricket is much more easier than in men's cricket

jashan83

U19 Captain
East Asia Pacific T20 World Cup Qualifier Division 2 2011

PHP:
               P   W   N   L   Pts      NRR
Samoa          5   5   0   0    10     3.63
Phillipines    5   4   0   1     8     0.11
Tonga          5   2   0   3     4     0.11
Cook Islands   5   2   0   3     4    -1.10
Indonesia      5   1   0   4     2    -1.99
South Korea    5   1   0   4     2    -2.85
* Samoa beat South Korea by 9 wickets.

* Philippines beat Indonesia by 7 wickets.

* Tonga beat Cook Islands by 39 runs.

* Philippines beat Cook Islands by 5 wickets.

* Indonesia beat South Korea by 5 wickets.

* Samoa beat Tonga by 9 wickets.

* Tonga beat Indonesia by 76 runs.

* Samoa beat Cook Islands by 9 wickets.

* Philippines beat South Korea by 6 wickets.

* Samoa beat Philippines by 8 wickets.

* South Korea beat Tonga by 4 wickets.

* Cook Islands beat Indonesia by 2 wickets.

* Cook Islands beat South Korea by 13 runs.

* Philippines beat Tonga by 23 runs.

* Samoa beat Indonesia by 92 runs.

FINAL STANDING MATCHES
# Final: Samoa beat Philippines by 8 wickets. (50 overs match)

# 3rd-4th: Cook Island beat Tonga by 14 runs.

# 5th-6th: South Korea beat Indonesia by 9 wickets.

FINAL STANDING
1. Samoa
2. Philippines
3. Cook Island
4. Tonga
5. South Korea
6. Indonesia

This was the first tournament of Philippines & South Korea.Both played very well specially Philippines.

Samoa won the tournament and qualified for EAP Div 1 T20 and also WCL Div 8. Now the small region of EAP has got 5 teams in WCL (PNG, Fiji, Japan, Vanuatu & now Samoa)

juro

U19 12th Man
I forwarded the news of Korea winning their first ever ICC match to some of my Korean friends who live in Australia. The general reaction was "Korea plays cricket?"

Coming back to the way teams are playing a final as a 50 over match because they also qualify for WCL Div 8, couldn't they just play a 20 over match to see qualification for the next stage of the T20 World Cup and the next day play the same teams in a 50 over match for qualification to WCL? I would rathe have teams move forward in the format they play, and think this would be a good compromise, having just 1 more day of competition...

jashan83

U19 Captain
I forwarded the news of Korea winning their first ever ICC match to some of my Korean friends who live in Australia. The general reaction was "Korea plays cricket?"

Coming back to the way teams are playing a final as a 50 over match because they also qualify for WCL Div 8, couldn't they just play a 20 over match to see qualification for the next stage of the T20 World Cup and the next day play the same teams in a 50 over match for qualification to WCL? I would rathe have teams move forward in the format they play, and think this would be a good compromise, having just 1 more day of competition...
I am sure if we show this whole qualifying list to people in Test playing nations 80% of the people will be surprised. In non test playing probably we people in countries like Nepal, Vanuatu, PNG, Uganda, Kenya etc would be aware..

About South Korea they are hosting 2014 Asian games and cricket is a part of it. They will be building most probably 2 stadiums and also need to field a team of passport holders in that tournament. Hence they are now taking cricket more seriously and we will see more of South Korea team playing

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In EAP tournament, Philippines who played for first time reached the final. South Korea also managed to have some wins and defeated much talked about Indonesia to make them finish last
My boys did well, especially considering that we have less than 20 people currently registered to be qualified for the national side. The standard of Filipino cricket is decent though there isnt a 'Filipino' playing in the league. Cricket is based at Nomads Sports Club (an ex-pat field sports club who I play for) and the cricketing population is mainly from the large Filipino Indian community, Brits and Australians from the club and Asians working at the Asian Development Bank which is headquartered in Manila. We have a lot of good players but they are not qualified to represent the national team.

The guys recently got back from the tournament and they said that Samoa were a different class. Murphy Su'a was playing/coaching and 7-8 of the Samoan players are on contracts with NZ FC sides.

Philippines were clearly number 2 in the group (great considering it was their first tournament) but Samoa were clearly number 1.

Give it a few years where more people qualify for the national team, the domestic league further strengthens, junior development continues and the Philippines will be moving up in EAP cricket.

jashan83

U19 Captain
My boys did well, especially considering that we have less than 20 people currently registered to be qualified for the national side. The standard of Filipino cricket is decent though there isnt a 'Filipino' playing in the league. Cricket is based at Nomads Sports Club (an ex-pat field sports club who I play for) and the cricketing population is mainly from the large Filipino Indian community, Brits and Australians from the club and Asians working at the Asian Development Bank which is headquartered in Manila. We have a lot of good players but they are not qualified to represent the national team.

The guys recently got back from the tournament and they said that Samoa were a different class. Murphy Su'a was playing/coaching and 7-8 of the Samoan players are on contracts with NZ FC sides.

Philippines were clearly number 2 in the group (great considering it was their first tournament) but Samoa were clearly number 1.

Give it a few years where more people qualify for the national team, the domestic league further strengthens, junior development continues and the Philippines will be moving up in EAP cricket.
Great work. I guess the South Korean had some nationals in their team. Is their a process going on in Philippines to get locals to play cricket. I guess baseball would be quite popular in Philippines. I hope to see more Filipino's playing for the team in future.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Great work. I guess the South Korean had some nationals in their team. Is their a process going on in Philippines to get locals to play cricket. I guess baseball would be quite popular in Philippines. I hope to see more Filipino's playing for the team in future.
Very little work at the moment. The reason is threefold. 1) There isnt much knowledge about cricket or exposure to it. 2) There are no facilities. I dont just mean for cricket but for any field based sport in Manila. There are no historial sports clubs apart from one (Manila Nomads founded in 1914) and the schools have no grass. Basically you cannot find a patch of green in Manila. 3)The Philippines doesnt have a sporting background to build on.

Things are not all bad though. There is potential - long term though- in the provinces. Huge multi national mining corporations are moving into areas and they may be the spearhead to introducing junior cricket academies in the provinces at their recreational facilities and as part of their outreach and social conscience.

As for baseball, it has no real presence either. There are only 3 sports in the Philippines-- Basketball, boxing and billiards. You will note that none require grass. Football/soccer is getting bigger but that is primarily with the monyed elite.

The Philippines was also the 3rd largest county (by population) not to win a medal at the last summer Olympics behind Pakistan and Bangladesh.

The country has only 1 good sportsperson- Manny Pacquiao and most of the population isnt concerned with sport due to the lack of historical involvement, grinding poverty but highly educated population leaving no time for sport (nurses for example have to pay to work their first 2 years rather than be paid) and no facilities even if they wanted to.

In terms of exposure, the cricket world cup was on pay for view at about $8 US for the whole tournament but I doubt any Filipinos purchaed it. In fact exposure has got worse. 10 years ago when I was in the Philippines, Star Sports was for the entire region and showed cricket. Now Star has different packages for different places there is no cricket on sports channels in the Philippines.

Looking at comparable sports, rugby is doing much better but the IRB rules are not as strict as the ICC's and the very good rugby team is mainly made up of half-filipinos who play decent rugby in Australia or the UK.

Last edited:

Cracket

Cricket Spectator
South Korea has some nationals playing which is amazing to see because they won a couple of matches. They have a decent site too and got sponsorship from Adidas : :::???????::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In an interview I read from the Korea cricket board they said that right now only one university is taking cricket seriously where natives are taking up the sports in a dedicated manner. This has to do A LOT with cricket making it into the Asia Games. Next one is being held if Korea in 2014 and cricket will be played. All credit goes to ACC here who actually convinced China to include cricket into their Asia games last year.

Last edited: