• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good a bats man is ganguly?

Shivankit

Cricket Spectator
Thoughts are scattered like the grains of sand on a beach,still united in a way

I think hi is just one of those players who hit form when it is not necessary,but on his day he can really shine(a thing more rare than the halley's comet):ninja:

Rich2001

International Captain
Shivankit said:
Thoughts are scattered like the grains of sand on a beach,still united in a way

I think hi is just one of those players who hit form when it is not necessary,but on his day he can really shine(a thing more rare than the halley's comet):ninja:
Personally I don't like Ganguly much, however I respect his a top batsman on his day that can be a tough cookie to dismiss.

He has certianly turned a corner after a dreadful run of form, however I still rate a few in the Indian team ahead of him, and if he wasn't the captain about a year back I doubt he would still be in the side.

However cerdit where it's due, his battled back hard and his having a good run at present.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Well he has avraged 31 in his last 4 years of Test cricket and he still plays the short ball worse than Jason Gillespie so I think he is overated.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I think he is not talented as some of the others, but he is a very intelligent batsman, and knows his weaknesses and strengths. And because of that he never lets an opportunity go by on a weak side or in a meaningless match to make a big score.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
But one of the finest one-day players ever.
I am not even that sure about that.

He has made most of his runs against week teams and on flat track Indian wickets.

He is certainly good but these days the only thing helping him maintain that avrage is his plundering off week teams.

V Reddy

International Debutant
He also had his fair share of match winning innings against good teams :P . I would state him as one of the finest one day players . He has very good record in both Aus and Saf :saint:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I had no such intention. :P

However, as it was specially requested, Ganguly avges 29.47 with 3 fifties in 10 Tests against Australia.

He's been even more spectacular with a hundred and 3 fifties in 22 ODI's v the Aussies and a prime average of 22.68.

Mr Mxyzptlk

In addition, v SA he has done very well in ODI's but poorly in Tests.

His ODI avge is 53.91 in 26 games and a total of 1240 runs. 3 hundreds and 8 fifties have been amassed.

2 fifties decorate his Test avge of 25 with 425 runs in 9 Tests.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ganguly is a very good player of spin and medium pace. He plays swing bowling fairly well. His weakness which has been exploited by most teams is against extreme pace, especially of the bouncy kind. Let's hope that brief stint in Australia with Chappell has helped him to sort a few things out. I think the restriction for bouncers in ODIs has had a lot to do with his continued success in that form of cricket. In terms of place in the team, he would have been out of the Indian test team(or atleast in and out) by now had he not been the captain.

In terms of talent, he is behind atleast Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag in the current team. However, if he continues to display the same determination he showed in the last Windies tour and the England tour, he can still justify his place in the side as a player.

mikka_a

Cricket Spectator
Ganguly

Ganguly was a very good batsman before he became the captain. He only hits 50s and 100s in front of teams like kenya now. Ganguly is shining as a captain but not shining as a batsman since captainship.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
well I beleve his avrage against Australia is 27.
I was saying on the bouncy pitches in AUS and not against AUS as i remember him scoring 2 centuries in the tri series in AUS .

Mr Mxyzptlk

141 off 144 balls with 12 fours and 1 six v Pakistan (Wasim, Shoaib, Razzaq, Mahmood, Saqlain, Afridi)

100 off 127 balls with 10 fours v Australia (McGrath, Fleming, B Lee, S Lee, Symonds, Martyn)... 18 runs off 48 balls were scored against McGrath, Fleming and B Lee - interesting yet meaningless fact. :D

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
well, the way i see it, hes a clever batsman who sees his talent not as good enough to take on the quality bowlers, so he tries to get past them without geting out and goes after the less skilled bowlers.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
I have faith in him. He is no doubt one of the best captains India has ever had. Pity the 12th man can't captain the side.