• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin says no to liquor brand endorsement, turns down $22 million

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Firstly, that's not the thread topic. Secondly, I have no idea what the context of that was, so unless you enlighten me about the nature of the contract and what it was (Director's Special and Wills) I can't comment. Thirdly, even if that decision was soley based on a moral code, it is irrelevant to this example because he actually has bucketloads of money now.

Also, why are you saying "Sachin bashing"? Just sounds like irrational fan-boy talk to me. I have not been 'bashing' him at all, in fact you'll find I have commended him multiple times now. All I have been saying is that this thread topic is just a big 'so what?'.
it sounds like your own posting, then? :p

Anyways, the big deal is he was offered a contract for multi million dollars to endorse a cigarette and alcohol brand and he refused it, even though he was nowhere close to the sort of a millionaire he is now.. And it shows that he is refusing it based on his "morals" and NOT because he has a lot of money... There is something called standing by your beliefs and he is doing that here.

And yes, it is coming across as Tendulkar bashing when you questioned whether he did it out of "morals" or simply because he has so much money that he CBF to do this deal. If you had not tried very hard at being the smart ass and making out a stupid acccusation, there would have been no need for me to post here.. If you think it is not a big deal, so be it. But just don't come in here questioning if he did it for "morals" or because he had so much money.. That juz came across as stupid "I need to play DA to get noticed" posting, tbh...

Ruckus

International Captain
Doesn't make sense + unoriginal = fail.

Anyways, the big deal is he was offered a contract for multi million dollars to endorse a cigarette and alcohol brand and he refused it, even though he was nowhere close to the sort of a millionaire he is now.. And it shows that he is refusing it based on his "morals" and NOT because he has a lot of money... There is something called standing by your beliefs and he is doing that here.
Good on him for doing that then. I would still be interested to know how much money he actually had at that age... However, whatever the case, once again it isn't relevent to the thread topic.

And yes, it is coming across as Tendulkar bashing when you questioned whether he did it out of "morals" or simply because he has so much money that he CBF to do this deal. If you had not tried very hard at being the smart ass and making out a stupid acccusation, there would have been no need for me to post here.. If you think it is not a big deal, so be it. But just don't come in here questioning if he did it for "morals" or because he had so much money.. That juz came across as stupid "I need to play DA to get noticed" posting, tbh...
The fact that you are interpreting my argument as "Tendulkar bashing" just proves you are an oversensitive fanboy. And btw that wasn't my argument. My argument was that even if the decision was morally based, the fact he also has money means that these kind of decisions, while commendable, aren't anything extraordinary and don't warrant a thread about them.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Eh? It's not being held against him - it's a good thing to do - but at the same time, it's like so what? The vast majority of people would turn down such a request if they had the money Tendulkar has.
I see, can we have some names then ? You must have a big list, no doubt :)

Moral decisions to do with money are relative - if you are extremely rich, then you should have a duty to be more generous with your use of money than someone who is poor. That's why people like Steve Jobs piss me off so much. He is filthy rich, yet apparently hardly gives any of his money to charity.

Cricketers involved in charity too: Tendulkar - Express India

Tendulkar to double educational charity - News - Cricket Next

Sachin Tendulkar coaches kids for charity - Sport - DNA

Mate, it doesn't hurt to do a simple google search before making claims. Look, I am not Sachin Tendulkar's biggest fan (I don't even think he is the best batsman of his era; I rate Brian Lara higher, but that is another debate), but what he has done here is praiseworthy. If you don't have anything good to say about it, that is fine, but please don't make up stuff to denigrate him.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Mate, it doesn't hurt to do a simple google search before making claims. Look, I am not Sachin Tendulkar's biggest fan (I don't even think he is the best batsman of his era; I rate Brian Lara higher, but that is another debate), but what he has done here is praiseworthy. If you don't have anything good to say about it, that is fine, but please don't make up stuff to denigrate him.
You should probably read my post more carefully before making a fool of yourself. Generally when a statement is made after a person was mentioned in the previous sentence, it refers to that person. Hence "That's why people like Steve Jobs piss me off so much. He is filthy rich, yet apparently hardly gives any of his money to charity." refers to Steve Jobs, not Tendulkar.

Blaze 18

Banned
You should probably read my post more carefully before making a fool of yourself. Generally when a statement is made after a person was mentioned in the previous sentence, it refers to that person. Hence "That's why people like Steve Jobs piss me off so much. He is filthy rich, yet apparently hardly gives any of his money to charity." refers to Steve Jobs, not Tendulkar.
Jeez, okay I made a mistake. You irate or something ? Chill, mistakes happen.

P.S I take it you have no names to back up your original claim (hence why you ignored the first part of my post) ?

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Look good on SRT that he lives with such high moral values, but for the love of god its pretty childish to expect others to do similar things or believe that just becuase SRT isn't promoting a liquor brand, the youngsters who admire him from around India or the world aren't going to take up drinking.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Doesn't make sense + unoriginal = fail.

Good on him for doing that then. I would still be interested to know how much money he actually had at that age... However, whatever the case, once again it isn't relevent to the thread topic.

The fact that you are interpreting my argument as "Tendulkar bashing" just proves you are an oversensitive fanboy. And btw that wasn't my argument. My argument was that even if the decision was morally based, the fact he also has money means that these kind of decisions, while commendable, aren't anything extraordinary and don't warrant a thread about them.
Again.. that is your conclusion and a totally flawed one. When he was 18 or 19, I am sure he was not even a millionaire... And he turned down a multi million dollar contract then as he does not want to endorse alcohol and cigarettes. And he has done the same now.

You are the oversensitive one reading too much into a very simple matter of sticking to one's beliefs and trying to portray it as "he is only turning it down as he is filthy rich and morality has nothing to do with this." As I said earlier, if you did not try so hard to be a smartass and try and make it out as though it was a simple question of "I got money enough so won't do this", we won't be having this debate..

Basically, I am saying a guy took a stand 20 years ago and is sticking to it now. You are saying, guy has made so much money in 20 years that he doesn't need this anymore. I think most sane people will be able to see who is more likely to be correct.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Look good on SRT that he lives with such high moral values, but for the love of god its pretty childish to expect others to do similar things or believe that just becuase SRT isn't promoting a liquor brand, the youngsters who admire him from around India or the world aren't going to take up drinking.
That is not the point, is it? I am not even sure Sachin thinks he is influencing anyone through ANY of his endorsements... He thinks alcohol and cigarettes are harmful products and refuses to be associated with them. Period. Juz so unfortunate that some have to read a LOT more into it to come across as these smart and brilliant neutrals.. If you think it is no big deal, then don't ****ing post in the thread...

Ruckus

International Captain
Jeez, okay I made a mistake. You irate or something ? Chill, mistakes happen.

P.S I take it you have no names to back up your original claim, hence why you ignored the first part of my post.
Yeah generally sarcasm like "You must have a big list, no doubt" makes me irate. And no, I ignored that part of your post because you once again have misinterpreted it. "The vast majority of people would turn down such a request if they had the money Tendulkar has" - "majority of people" referring to the general population, noone in particular. Of course that is speculative, by I'd like to think if most people had an excessive amount of money, and they knew millions of children hung onto their every word, that they would not endorse an alcoholic drink or cigarettes. Especially seeing as though there would be countless other, more appropriate, endorsements out there for the offering.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah generally sarcasm like "You must have a big list, no doubt" makes me irate. And no, I ignored that part of your post because you once again have misinterpreted it. "The vast majority of people would turn down such a request if they had the money Tendulkar has" - "majority of people" referring to the general population, noone in particular. Of course that is speculative, by I'd like to think if most people had an excessive amount of money, and they knew millions of children hung onto their every word, that they would not endorse an alcoholic drink or cigarettes. Especially seeing as though there would be countless other, more appropriate, endorsements out there for the offering.
But you are not getting it. Dhoni just now signed up for a similar deal with an alcohol company. So no, most people WILL NOT turn it down just because they are rich. As the saying goes, you can never have too much money... And Sachin ain't gonna turn down any other endorsement if they give him similar money just because he already has money. It is a question of principles and he has stuck to his. End of.

Ruckus

International Captain
You are the oversensitive one reading too much into a very simple matter of sticking to one's beliefs and trying to portray it as "he is only turning it down as he is filthy rich and morality has nothing to do with this." .
Not what I said...sigh...

Can't...be.....bothered... responding...any (*falls asleep*).

Ruckus

International Captain
But you are not getting it. Dhoni just now signed up for a similar deal with an alcohol company. So no, most people WILL NOT turn it down just because they are rich. As the saying goes, you can never have too much money... And Sachin ain't gonna turn down any other endorsement if they give him similar money just because he already has money. It is a question of principles and he has stuck to his. End of.
Look dude, thread/article title "Sachin says no to liquor brand endorsement, turns down $22 million". Hence the subject is MONEY. Even if the decision was purely based on principles (which it probably is), it is not that amazing because the money is redundant to him for two reasons: 1. He already has bucketloads 2. If he really wanted money from endorsements there are plenty of other offers he could pursue. Given that, it is essentially like having a thread topic on "Tendulkar doesn't advocate drinking alcohol". Is that interesting? No. Does anyone on a cricket forum, other than diehard fanboys, care? No. End of.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good on him and all, but I would imagine it's pretty easy to make 'moral' decisions like that when your already filthy rich...
Not what I said...sigh...

Can't...be.....bothered... responding...any (*falls asleep*).

tbh

Good on him and all, but I would imagine it's pretty easy to make 'moral' decisions like that when your already filthy rich...

seemed to me like you were... Anyways, look mate, I don't think any less of you for coming to that conclusion when you didn't know of the earlier 90s incident. But I do think after that being pointed out, it is reasonable that people give him that position.. He was against it then and he is sticking to that position now. Simple. :)

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
What does Hashim Amla have to do with anything?
Hashim Amla does not wear a Castle logo on his cricket shirt. Promoting beer & liquor is against the teaching of Islam and as such Amla became the first player to be the exception. who was granted permission by South African Breweries and Cricket South Africa not to wear the Castle logos on his clothing.