• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Team World Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
WI certainly had more holes in their record than just NZ. They lost in India in 78/79 and drew Aus in 81/82, while constantly drawing series against Pakistan throughout their reign.

I see your point, but still, I think it's unfair of you to say that India have to win every single tour away in the next year to claim 1st place while WI didn't win in India till 83. This next SA is key obviously. A draw or better would be enough I think for most people, me included, to say that India are number one.
Those series in NZ are not "holes". It meant nothing. Its not as if the NZ team ATT ever threatened WI dominace (although when they drew 1-1 in NZZ 86/87 NZ were one of the better teams around).

You do realise that when WI lost in India 78/79, that the entire 1st team was away to world serie cricket right?. WI totally dominated India home & away, IND were never a challenge to that WI team.

WI beat PAK WI 76/77 & won in PAK 80/81.PAK & WI drew the next 3 series, with PAK given WI more challenge than anyone as we all know. I dont know how you consider that a legitimate hole in WIs record however. Thats just simply PAK @ the back end of WIs reign when the side where ageing & the retirements of Holding, Llyod, Garner, Gomes post 1986, managing to draw a few series againts them

Plus what?. WI totally dominated AUS home & away winning all series againts each other & because in 1 series AUS managed to draw, you call that a hole?. SMH

The WI team never had a weakness againts againts any team in any country during their reign. I feel like i'm stating the obvious here.

A draw in SA will not be enough to prove IND are # 1. They have to win the series to prove that they # 1 even by the smallest margin. A draw will just prove that test cricket is even & no team is good enough to win in each others back-yard since, SA also drew in India twice in recent years.

There is no way IND can go through the next year on tours to SA, ENG, WI, AUS & just draw them & still claim to be # 1. For how flawed the ranking sysem is, i'm quite sure, they would lose that ranking according to that system if such a scenario occurs. Especially if South Africa & Australia get more positive results simulatenous in series they play next year.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm going to say this very very slow Flem274.

In cricket no number one team can exist, even if its by the samllest margin until some team proves they can/have the ability to be the best @ winning home & away consistently.

Being dominant in cricket or the dominant team does not mean daylight between one side & the rest needs to exist. Case in point England between 1951-1958 as i said before:

So that ENG teams fits the bill of a # 1 team who where the best by the samllest margin. Not the current Indian team.

Only West Indies from 76-91 & AUS 95-2006/07 had daylight between them & the rest of their competition. ENG 51-58, WI 63-68 where # 1s, but daylight between them & the competition wasn't present.

# 1 in cricket is special accolade that has to be earnt based on performances over a long period of time after you have proven you can/have the ability to win home & away fairly consistently. It is not to be thrown around losely to any team like IND currently who have not done the above, but just have been playing consistent test cricket.
Firstly. Why did you just quote the incomplete portion of that post, instead of the rest in which i clearly stated how such a ranking has been earnt throughout cricket history?. I shall have to call that "quote picking".

ICC doesn't highlight make judgements on cricket history. Historians & erudite cricket fans do.The ICC ranking systems (the current & past one) is & always be faulty, which is why India are ranked # 1 now. If we where in the pre 2001 days of no ranking system no fan, no board, no player would be calling India # 1 today.

What would be correct to say is fans on CW (indians like yourself mainly & others) believe India are # 1. But of course the world of cricket opinion doesn't live & end on CW.net. In England here my cricket friends who i play & talk cricket with are of the majority asians who are Indian & Pakistan fans. The Indian fans i know here (who are super fanatical about India) have taken to proper approach of saying, that they are not comfortable calling IND # 1 unless they win away to full-strenght AUS, ENG, SA sides, although of course they are backing IND to do so.

Fact is as i've said before. If India fail to win in SA, ENG, AUS, WI in the next year. History will not remember nor recongise this 2007-2010 period where India have been ranked # 1. Just like it doesn't recongise that period after 1971 when they were ranked # 1. This 2007-2010 period will just be remember as the period when India played arguably its most sustained consistent test cricket in its history.
That tour to AUS in 75/76 doesn't isn't included when judging WI 76-91 period of dominace. It is started from the 76 tour of England & ended in the 91 tour to England when Richards, Dujon, Richards, Greenidge retired.

Between 76-91 they beat every country everywhere home & away (except for NZ, they lost in 1980 & drew in 86/87, but everyone knows the circumstances around both those series & rightly doesn't hold that againts that great WI side).

Overall yes i would certainly (along with many other cricket fans outside the CW bubble) compromise by saying in the next couple of years if India win in SA, ENG, WI, AUS, that this 2007-2010 period was the start of them becoming # 1. But if they fail to win those upcoming series. This 2007-2010 period will just be remember as the period when India played arguably its most sustained consistent test cricket in its history.
Those series in NZ are not "holes". It meant nothing. Its not as if the NZ team ATT ever threatened WI dominace (although when they drew 1-1 in NZZ 86/87 NZ were one of the better teams around).

You do realise that when WI lost in India 78/79, that the entire 1st team was away to world serie cricket right?. WI totally dominated India home & away, IND were never a challenge to that WI team.

WI beat PAK WI 76/77 & won in PAK 80/81.PAK & WI drew the next 3 series, with PAK given WI more challenge than anyone as we all know. I dont know how you consider that a legitimate hole in WIs record however. Thats just simply PAK @ the back end of WIs reign when the side where ageing & the retirements of Holding, Llyod, Garner, Gomes post 1986, managing to draw a few series againts them

Plus what?. WI totally dominated AUS home & away winning all series againts each other & because in 1 series AUS managed to draw, you call that a hole?. SMH

The WI team never had a weakness againts againts any team in any country during their reign. I feel like i'm stating the obvious here.

A draw in SA will not be enough to prove IND are # 1. They have to win the series to prove that they # 1 even by the smallest margin. A draw will just prove that test cricket is even & no team is good enough to win in each others back-yard since, SA also drew in India twice in recent years.

There is no way IND can go through the next year on tours to SA, ENG, WI, AUS & just draw them & still claim to be # 1. For how flawed the ranking sysem is, i'm quite sure, they would lose that ranking according to that system if such a scenario occurs. Especially if South Africa & Australia get more positive results simulatenous in series they play next year.
No one cares.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So drawing is good enough for some but not for others? Fmd.
Its is ludicrous to compare the scenario's between the team situations that lead to the WI drawing a few series between 1976-1991 & the hypotetical scenario of India drawing in South Africa next winter. That shows a fundamental lack of understanding of cricket history.

Status
Not open for further replies.