• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 is taking my interest from cricket away

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't this just show how valuable international cricket 'really' is to some of these players?

If it's truly the pinnacle, it'll either warrant the money to be paid, or players will reject money and play for their country.

How are they 'overpaid' by the way? They're the ones increasing the TV ratings.
It devalues international cricket because it provides an attractive alternative than playing for ones country which IMO, should be the pinnacle of cricket. A youngster should aim to play for his country rather than securing a lucrative IPL contract.

They're overpaid because while they increase the TV ratings in India, it does almost nothing for their home countries. How many people in Australia, England etc give a toss about what happens in the IPL. Yet every other cricketing nation will suffer at the hands of an Indian domestic competition that draws away its talent. As such, I don't see cricketers being paid as much as other major sports a good thing, especially if comparing to American sports.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It devalues international cricket because it provides an attractive alternative than playing for ones country which IMO, should be the pinnacle of cricket. A youngster should aim to play for his country rather than securing a lucrative IPL contract.
So let's tell kids what to think, rather than actually make international cricket the pinnacle by making it attractive? That's a silly way of thinking.

And let's lose potentially great cricketers on the way who aren't willing to risk their livelihood by having a 1 in 11 chance of becoming an international cricketer when they could be paid more in the AFL or overseas in another sport.
They're overpaid because while they increase the TV ratings in India, it does almost nothing for their home countries. How many people in Australia, England etc give a toss about what happens in the IPL. Yet every other cricketing nation will suffer at the hands of an Indian domestic competition that draws away its talent.
Cricket is a business, and its a profession/career for players.

What Ponting does for Cricket Australia is worth much more than what he is actually paid.

It doesn't matter who gives a toss about the IPL.

How many people give a toss about the T20 series between West Indies and SOuth Africa that just took place? Very few. But the value the players brought in to the WICB and SA Cricket Board is very small, so they're not getting paid much.

Make international cricket better (have a proper trophy, have an actual rankings system, a grand final etc.) and it'll actually be more attractive to viewers, and then players will be able to get paid more.

You do realise you need money to run a sport right?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There have recently been stories of players who were excellent at AFL and cricket, and chose cricket because it offers a similar potential remuneration now, whereas 10 years ago that simply wasn't the case.

I can't think of the young gun in Melbourne that chose cricket over AFL recently because of the ability to be paid well in T20 championships around the world, whilst also having a chance to represent his country, and strive to play all other forms.

You can be a cricketer and not have to work 2 jobs now.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So let's tell kids what to think, rather than actually make international cricket the pinnacle by making it attractive? That's a silly way of thinking.

Cricket is a business, and its a profession/career for players.

Make international cricket better (have a proper trophy, have an actual rankings system, a grand final etc.) and it'll actually be more attractive to viewers, and then players will be able to get paid more.

You do realise you need money to run a sport right?
What? What money does the IPL contribute to cricket other than massive paychecks to the upper elite. It does matter who cares about the IPL since it drags talent from other nations away from representing their country.

This is absurd frankly. A grand final? A proper trophy? Should every Test Match or every other tour have DLF maximums too and other commercial properties? Should big pepsi logos cover the pitch as well. What sport are we talking about here. My argument is not about the payment received by International cricketers, but the absurd money awarded in the IPL which is more detrimental than beneficial to the international game.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There have recently been stories of players who were excellent at AFL and cricket, and chose cricket because it offers a similar potential remuneration now, whereas 10 years ago that simply wasn't the case.

I can't think of the young gun in Melbourne that chose cricket over AFL recently because of the ability to be paid well in T20 championships around the world, whilst also having a chance to represent his country, and strive to play all other forms.

You can be a cricketer and not have to work 2 jobs now.
That has been the case since Packer and CA pays very well anyway

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
While a tour may infringe on the IPL for a couple days there's no denying that there has been a period somewhat carved out in the calendar so that most players can play in the IPL. Though an International tour may overlap by a day or two, you be can certain it wouldn't dare interrupt the important parts of the tournament. Furthermore, the presence of the IPL has cut out precious preparation time for future tours. The Indian team had what was it, a couple days between finishing up in the IPL and playing the ICC 20/20 World championships.

Players may not publicly announce that they retired in order to play in the IPL, but I can assure you its a massive factor outlining their decision.
1. This year's Aus-NZ series meant that a player like Watson played just 6 games out of total 14 (min). More than a couple of days isn't it?

2. Yes, the finals don't usually get interrupted. But tell me which all teams traditionally play test cricket in April?

3. I agree about IPL cutting off time for preparation of International T20. But I think it is a one off due to scheduling issue and not a repeating one. IPL never has said no to players leaving the tournament early to prepare for national duties in the past.

4. They may or may not be a massive reason behind their retirement, but if their Board feels so, they can prevent the player from taking part in IPL, even after retirement. Atleast IPL is doing better than say for example county cricket in this regard. Ian O Brien left NZ near around his peak because his prospects were much better in English County cricket. County cricket seems to have embraced him with open arms. So your theory that IPL or T20 easy money is the only reason why players prepone their retirements hold little water.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
1. This year's Aus-NZ series meant that a player like Watson played just 6 games out of total 14 (min). More than a couple of days isn't it?

2. Yes, the finals don't usually get interrupted. But tell me which all teams traditionally play test cricket in April?

3. I agree about IPL cutting off time for preparation of International T20. But I think it is a one off due to scheduling issue and not a repeating one. IPL never has said no to players leaving the tournament early to prepare for national duties in the past.

4. They may or may not be a massive reason behind their retirement, but if their Board feels so, they can prevent the player from taking part in IPL, even after retirement. Atleast IPL is doing better than say for example county cricket in this regard. Ian O Brien left NZ near around his peak because his prospects were much better in English County cricket. County cricket seems to have embraced him with open arms. So your theory that IPL or T20 easy money is the only reason why players prepone their retirements hold little water.
What are the chances of them actually enforcing this? Have they ever done it

Sir Alex

Banned
Get off it mate, O'Brien left because his wife wanted him to.
It doesn't change my basic point. There are n number of reasons why players retire early. To blame IPL is the only one (without any specific instances) reason for that and blaming it is silly.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Have there been such an instance in the first place?
I don't think many players would announce that they were going to retire so they could play in the IPL, including FC players etc. but it doesn't mean its not a major factor

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I shall reword, "How many such 'suspected' retirements have happened since IPL started?"
Mostly FC players. Brad Hodge for example. Perhaps Flintoff too. Most are partial retirements from the longer form of the game

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Mostly FC players. Brad Hodge for example. Perhaps Flintoff too. Most are partial retirements from the longer form of the game
Was Brad Hodge part of the Australian test setup?

Flintoff's retiral from test cricket was obvious due to his injuries. He anyway didn't participate in this IPL.

You seem to miss the point. Their respective Boards had no issue in letting them go and play in the IPL, Hodge is unlikely to play in next year's IPL, so is Flintoff. It seems you are looking for things which aren't there imho.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is absurd frankly. A grand final? A proper trophy? Should every Test Match or every other tour have DLF maximums too and other commercial properties? Should big pepsi logos cover the pitch as well. What sport are we talking about here.
Putting words in people's mouths isn't cool.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That has been the case since Packer and CA pays very well anyway
How many players get a CA Contract?

How many rugby league and AFL players get a secure contract that pays reasonably well?

There is a huge difference.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
My argument is not about the payment received by International cricketers, but the absurd money awarded in the IPL which is more detrimental than beneficial to the international game.
This sentence makes no sense.

You don't mind that players are being paid well.

But you mind that players are being dragged away from international cricket because what they are paid in the IPL.

Surely the solution is for international cricketers to earn more right? But there are only around 15-20 consistent international cricketers in a country.

It's ****ty odds to actually earn a living from the sport.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I asked for specific instances and at what cost they were rearranged. It seems you are just interested in accusing without backing up with facts. Well, FYI, Australia vs New Zealand series certainly in progress during the initial days of the IPL.
It was in progress, but the series would have been even longer if there had been three tests, rather than the two they ended up having. The excuse for dropping the third test was poor light in April, but I'm sure there were greater powers at play...

Sir Alex

Banned
It was in progress, but the series would have been even longer if there had been three tests, rather than the two they ended up having. The excuse for dropping the third test was poor light in April, but I'm sure there were greater powers at play...
8-) What about the Ban-NZ series? Was it reduced to 1 test series also due to IPL?

Fact is test cricket isn't getting as many spectators in NZ. Please don't blame that on IPL.