• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Day/night Test cricket

Who would like to see day/night Test cricket.

• Total voters

Sir Alex

Banned
Indoor test cricket would be better option in my opinion. Would rule out silly light issues when a team is just about trying to force a result etc. But I don't see it happening in this half of this century.

There are a lot of issues with day night cricket in the subcontinet. The dew for instance. It'd rob the spinners, not to mention frequent ball changes. The use of floodlights will push up costs hugely and make the losses even greater. The obvious ball issue, moths issue etc etc.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Indoor test cricket would be better option in my opinion. Would rule out silly light issues when a team is just about trying to force a result etc. But I don't see it happening in this half of this century.

There are a lot of issues with day night cricket in the subcontinet. The dew for instance. It'd rob the spinners, not to mention frequent ball changes. The use of floodlights will push up costs hugely and make the losses even greater. The obvious ball issue, moths issue etc etc.
:-O srs?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm. Obviously you're better placed to comment on this than I am, but the fact that they've successfully played day/night ODIs there for years makes me think this stuff isn't really that much of a problem.

shivfan

Banned
If the ball issues are sorted I can't see any reason not to.
What ball issues?

In the Caribbean domestic four-day competition, they played four four-day/night games with pink balls under lights, and there weren't any ball issues....

maxtop123

Cricket Spectator
Okay let's be real. Crowds in England and Australia depend on the opposition.Moreover in today's world who has time to go to Test cricket which takes placed during people's working time. Additionally pricing is an issue.Especially in the Caribbean , Mike.

Who can afford those ticket prices? There is a reason Barbados is catering to the tourist crowd. The locals cannot afford cricket.

In Jamaica, do you realise how m may thousands of dollars it costs for seats in the Headley stand? The most the majority could afford is ONE day. May explain the popularity of ODIs given the ticket prices. Imagine the cost of season tickets. Yeah. I would love to go to 'Bina for the game against SA. Too rich more my blood.

Haven't been back since SL in 2002. Too expesive and moreso veery time cricket comes back. Those prices were part of the reason the local crowds stayed away from WC 2007.

The masses who are the heart of cricket in the Caribbean cannot afford to go to the game and those who can afford it, cannot sustain it.

As for day night/ Test cricket, it could bring out crowds but th problem is Test cricket is too long to have mass appeal. T20a nd ODIs are over in a few hours. You can get the same thing with football or a track meet for example. Entertainment all after work abd finished early enough to head of comfortably to work the next day. In this age of instant gratification Test cricket is fighting a losing battle as it simply cannot offer the same instant gratification of other sports.

Day night will probbaly pull in more people as they can come from work catach a few hours of the game and head off. Not really possible with day time Test cricketunless you're a) playing hookey or b) are an independent entrepreneur.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
Well said, maxtop....

I remember the days when I used to watch Test cricket at Sabina, and in those days, I could only afford one day's play. And, as you said, the other days I had to go to work!
:)
I can imagine that the economy is even worse now....

What the authorities need to do is drop the price of Test cricket tickets considrably, so that the patrons feel they can get value for money if they jsut turned up for a few hours, and then left again.