• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Series Cricket Stats

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Brilliant stuff, Sean! The sharp decline in Barry's average is shocking though. I knew it would fall from 73 but I was under the impression that he the was the best batsman alongside Chappel in WSC and thought it would be somewhere around the 65-mark overall.
Barry Richards is hurt by two things in the above analysis - firstly that one-off match in NZ which wasn't counted in the original figures, in which he scored 6 & 5.

Secondly, I included his series for RoW against England in 1970, in which he scored just 236 runs at 33. Were I to exclude that and just keep his Test and WSC numbers, Richards' figures would read 1,073 runs at 67.06.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Brilliant stuff, Sean! The sharp decline in Barry's average is shocking though. I knew it would fall from 73 but I was under the impression that he the was the best batsman alongside Chappel in WSC and thought it would be somewhere around the 65-mark overall.
His overall average is still well above 50+ against some great bowling. A reversion to mean, but does make one question the sometime assumption that he was a clear class ahead of other greats. And with what is still a very small sample size, a couple of poor matches, as mentioned above, will affect it noticeably.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
His overall average is still well above 50+ against some great bowling. A reversion to mean, but does make one question the sometime assumption that he was a clear class ahead of other greats. And with what is still a very small sample size, a couple of poor matches, as mentioned above, will affect it noticeably.
Yep, I've mentioned it on here before but even with a larger sample size Graeme Pollock suffers too. He didn't play WSC but he did play in the two RoW series in 1970 and 71/72 with only moderate success. If those matches are included then his career average drops from 60.97 to 54.30.

L Trumper

State Regular
Yep, I've mentioned it on here before but even with a larger sample size Graeme Pollock suffers too. He didn't play WSC but he did play in the two RoW series in 1970 and 71/72 with only moderate success. If those matches are included then his career average drops from 60.97 to 54.30.
Thats a surprise. I'm always under the assumption that pollock played well in those matches. Nonetheless He and sobers played amazingly during one innings. Pollock is a too good a batsman to drop his average around 5 runs with in a series.

Worth a look : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL6mWgioXyA&feature=related

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats a surprise. I'm always under the assumption that pollock played well in those matches. Nonetheless He and sobers played amazingly during one innings. Pollock is a too good a batsman to drop his average around 5 runs with in a series.

Worth a look : YouTube - Cmon Aussie Cmon - 1978 WSC Advert
It was two series to be fair - 8 Tests overall. You're right, he played one superb innings in partnership with Sobers during that 1970 RoW series, but his overall record over the two series was 459 runs at 35.30.

I suppose one could argue that if you're including the RoW series you could also include the Rebel series - also played as unofficial Tests. I don't remember exactly but I crunched the numbers on this one and if those Rebel tours are included then Pollock's record goes back up over 57.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It was two series to be fair - 8 Tests overall. You're right, he played one superb innings in partnership with Sobers during that 1970 RoW series, but his overall record over the two series was 459 runs at 35.30.

I suppose one could argue that if you're including the RoW series you could also include the Rebel series - also played as unofficial Tests. I don't remember exactly but I crunched the numbers on this one and if those Rebel tours are included then Pollock's record goes back up over 57.
I'm guessing that's against the bunch of has-beens bowling for Gooch's lot in 1982? A bit generous to Pollock imo.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha ha yep, as well as the Australian blokes who toured a couple of years later. Agreed that it's probably a little too generous to include them - the standard of cricket in the two RoW series was certainly higher. It's a shame Pollock didn't play WSC, as it would have given us a better picture.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Just thinking, would it be worth including stats from Rebel tours to South Africa? The teams, from memory, were all pretty strong and surely there are some stats out there.