• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is NUL cricket only 45 overs long?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jacques Rudolph said:
:O :O :O 130 Overs in a day!!! Thats a tad long isnt it?
At the crazy rate at which overs are bowled now, absolutely.
In the 1960's, the over rate was much more rapid than it is now. 15 overs an hour is utterly pathetic - and yet no-one can even manage that any more.

Take the 1965 Eng v SA test at Trent Bridge as a cogent example - on the first day, South Africa were bowled out in 101.3 overs - and there was still time for England to start their first innings.

How often do you see a bowler deliver a ball, it goes through to the keeper, he throws it to first slip, he throws it to gulley, he throws it to cover, he throws it to mid-off who polishes it and then gives it to the bowler - and HE's still standing at the return crease.

Walk back towards your mark, you idle gits.

Last edited:

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
surely if they went overs that quickly their balls would not be of the quality they are now?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
surely if they went overs that quickly their balls would not be of the quality they are now?
BONG!

You win today's prize for the most illogical statement.

Mr. P

luckyeddie said:
BONG!

You win today's prize for the most illogical statement.
how? all i am saying is that the bowler wouldn't have the time to prepare for each ball. nowadays most bowlers have rests before they come in to bowl, i think you are saying these bowlers get back to their mark and are off.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
how? all i am saying is that the bowler wouldn't have the time to prepare for each ball. nowadays most bowlers have rests before they come in to bowl, i think you are saying these bowlers get back to their mark and are off.
Why do you think that bowlers get time off between overs? The skipper gives him a spit and a blow down at fine leg (might have to field 1 ball max). Are you saying that they need time off between every ball?

Of course the bowler has time to prepare before each ball. The game (test cricket) hasn't changed that much since I started watching it.

Mr. P

luckyeddie said:
Why do you think that bowlers get time off between overs? The skipper gives him a spit and a blow down at fine leg (might have to field 1 ball max). Are you saying that they need time off between every ball?

Of course the bowler has time to prepare before each ball. The game (test cricket) hasn't changed that much since I started watching it.
that wasn't what i meant, and normally i'd argue, but i'm not in the mood today. i'll just agree.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
OK.

I thought that it was more an intellectual discussion than an argument, but it's brought up some interesting comparisons regarding the game then and now.

I'm just not sure whether bowling is any better in general nowadays than it was in the 1960's.

You would think that it should be - bowling matters have been gone into in a more scientific manner with wind-tunnel tests and the like, and you would think that players SHOULD be fitter, but they seem to get injured so much more.

I'll go as far as saying that fielding techniques have improved beyond all recognition and that batsmen are fitter (Inzy and Blackwell are slim compared to Cowdrey, Milburn et al) but bowlers? Something's gone seriously wrong there.

Incidentally, Jimmy Binks (who kept wicket for Yorkshire) never missed a game in something like 17 years.

As Geoff Boycott once said "Too much bottled milk nowadays?"

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Craig said:
Hehe, I might know you from somewhere SpaceMonkey.
If you're Craig Walsh off the ECB forums then yes you do :D
I knew it was you when you posted the exact same thread on both forums :lol:

Bazza

International 12th Man
To stick to the topic and summarise - what Eddie described evolved into the Sunday League, which complimented the championship in being a one day league. The name changed when games started aking place other than on Sundays (and after sponsors like AXA, Norwich Union etc arrived). It was always 40 overs until a few years ago when they increased it to 45. I think it should increase to 50 - seems entirely logical. I think it will before long, though as usual with the ECB, later than it should have been!

The Trophy, for a long time sponsored by Natwest (now C&G), used to be 65 overs, I certainly remember it as 60. I think it was reduced to 55 for a short period but is now 50.

The B&H Cup, which was scrapped this year to make way for the Twenty20 competition (it was felt two 50 over knockout comps weren't required), was always 50 overs I think, and had a similar structure to the Twenty20 - three preliminary groups of 6 teams, then into quarter finals (obviously Twnty20 went straight to semis but I think they might have quarters next year).

OK that's about it. Questions?

chris.hinton

International Captain
The National League should be 50 overs, i dont understand why it is 45 overs. i mean in this country we DO not play a competition with International cricket rules... the C and G trophy is played in whites and a red ball....... lets get with the times and move on

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can anyone name ONE advantage of coloured clothing?

The only thing I can come up with is 'selling replica shirts'.

I guess I'm old-fashioned. What next - test cricket in jeans sponsored by Levi's?

chris.hinton

International Captain
luckyeddie said:

I guess I'm old-fashioned. What next - test cricket in jeans sponsored by Levi's?
you are old-fashioned :D ;)

V Reddy

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:

one advantage is one can easily differentiate players of different teams :P but the most imp thing is people like it more than the whites.

Yes cricket in jeans wud be great 8D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's purely for the novelty and commercial value. Also, don't bright colours create urgency or something.