• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good/Great bowlers that owned good/great batsman...

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
For all of Vaas' lack of speed, he has probably been the best pacer against India's best opening pair - Dada and Tendlya. Both always try to play him out!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its pretty funny because on his day, no one can get on top of him. I remember when he bowled out an amazing last over against Symonds and with 3 runs needed, the game was either tied or SL won.. The best over of limited overs bowling I have seen.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Its pretty funny because on his day, no one can get on top of him. I remember when he bowled out an amazing last over against Symonds and with 3 runs needed, the game was either tied or SL won.. The best over of limited overs bowling I have seen.
SL won by 1 run.. amazing game, symonds had been called back after given out LBW off an inside age, but vass delieverd that great over:)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And what is your definition of mattered most .
Oh gee mate, I don't know.. Such an unquantifiable thing.

Could it be a round robin match of the Slugfest Trophy in Sarjah? Maybe some really important game in a triangular series in Australia or India? Could that be it?

Oh no, now I remember - was the paltry matter of a World Cup Final. Sorry, how could I have forgotten?

Last edited:

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
Oh gee mate, I don't know.. Such an uinquantifiable thing.

Could it be a round robin match of the Slugfest Trophy in Sarjah? Maybe some really important game in a triangular series in Australia or India? Could that be it?

Oh no, now I remember - was the paltry matter of a World Cup Final. Sorry, how could I have forgotten?
OK , mate and Viv richards also couldn't dominate Madan lal in WC final 1983. Atleast India was chasing 360 but WI was chasing 183 in 60 overs. So he also failed.

And regarding slugfest trohy, this is what punter has been doing consistently on the flat tracks of Sydney and Adelaide throughout his career. And soon as there is swing or spin in the pitch, he moves to pavilion.

Sir Alex

Banned
Oh gee mate, I don't know.. Such an uinquantifiable thing.

Yeah why play ODIs then?

Burgey

Yeah why play ODIs then?
Spot on mate - The Who Gives a Rats Cup is as important as the WC final.

Oh give me a world of nothing more but IPL and franchise cricket, at best with only meaningless 7 match ODI series where no one but an arse wipe remembers what happened two days later - to hell with the world's biggrst cricket tourney. While we're at it, why have tests when we could have 5 solid days of T20 double headers or a thrill-a-minute ODI tourney?

Rarely have I been more tempted to play the poster rather than this characteristically typical, idiotic, ignorant, dumb-arse post. But I won't do that because it wouldn't be the right thing to do and might be deemed too personal. Instead I'll pop into a SA-England thread and make some idiotic post about Australia where it's completely unwarranted.

Last edited:

Burgey

OK , mate and Viv richards also couldn't dominate Madan lal in WC final 1983. Atleast India was chasing 360 but WI was chasing 183 in 60 overs. So he also failed.

And regarding slugfest trohy, this is what punter has been doing consistently on the flat tracks of Sydney and Adelaide throughout his career. And soon as there is swing or spin in the pitch, he moves to pavilion.
But Viv played in two winning WC sides, didn't he? As for the second part of your post, you fail. But then, you're a sack of it, I'm not surprised. Love your bringing Ponting into a discussion with nothing to do with him whatsoever. WTF that has to do with it I don't know - I will, however put his WC final record up against the man you're obsessed with defending at all costs.

Although, as Ponting's best WC final moment came in that match whose name you dare not speak, I dare say there'd be no point mentioning it, would there?

Sir Alex

Banned

Oh give me a world of nothing more but IPL and franchise cricket, at best with only meaningless 7 match ODI series where no one but an arse wipe remembers what happened two days later - to hell with the world's biggrst cricket tourney. While we're at it, why have tests when we could have 5 solid days of T20 double headers or a thrill-a-minute ODI tourney?

Rarely have I been more tempted to play the poster rather than this characteristically typical, idiotic, ignorant, dumb-arse post. But I won't do that because it wouldn't be the right thing to do and might be deemed too personal. Instead I'll pop into a SA-England thread and make some idiotic post about Australia where it's completely unwarranted.
How many runs did Richards make in the final? So Richards is a inferior player than Srikkanth? I like that logic.

Wait, Mark Taylor scored 76 in the ODI WCfinal 1996 so should be a better ODI player than Jayasurya who scored 9 right?

Secondly, where EXACTLY I've put in a COMPLETELY irrelevant line in that NZ vs Aus thread? If some posters have problem with anything Indian in a positive sense, it ain't my problem mate.

Last edited:

What has upset you? I reckon he is only making the point that while Mcgrath undoubtedly got the better of Tendulkar in the WC final, their biggest match face to face, it does not make the instances when Tendulkar got the better of Mcgrath completely redundant.

satyam

School Boy/Girl Captain
If somebody has problem with IPL , then i can't help. KFC chicken bash is never going to be as popular as IPL. One can't do anything about it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If we're going to use one single innings played in a chase of 360 against the worlds best side to decide an argument between two players, a hundred roll eyes wouldn't be enough. Expected better of you, Burgey.

Sir Alex

Banned
Oh give me a world of nothing more but IPL and franchise cricket, at best with only meaningless 7 match ODI series where no one but an arse wipe remembers what happened two days later - to hell with the world's biggrst cricket tourney.
:ph34r: That's a contradiction

Burgey

What has upset you? I reckon he is only making the point that while Mcgrath undoubtedly got the better of Tendulkar in the WC final, their biggest match face to face, it does not make the instances when Tendulkar got the better of Mcgrath completely redundant.
No, what's upset me mate is I have never said McGrath owned Tendulkar, but the moment I mentioned McGrath got the better of him in the biggest ODI they played against each other, in response to the point that their record against each other was roughly even, apparently I've committed a cardinal sin.

Look, whatever, I'm jack of it. Tendulkar owned McGrath, and it was wonderful the way he continued that domination with that spanking 183 notout in the 03 WC final, the game that really counted most. Sorry for getting it so wrong. He has dominated every bowler he's ever faced, the only way he's ever been dismissed was caught Fatigue, bowled Exhaustion for 780.

Last edited:

Burgey

If we're going to use one single innings played in a chase of 360 against the worlds best side to decide an argument between two players, a hundred roll eyes wouldn't be enough. Expected better of you, Burgey.
I never said that mate, and if you'd read my post which started off the response, you'd know I didn't. It was suggested their records were about equal in ODIs, to which I replied "Except when it mattered most", a fairly harmless response I'd have thought - you know, like the responses one gets from Indian supporters about Warne's record in India, and which generally one accepts and moves on. Because they're essentially true and one ought to accept it.

But hey, if you want to construe it that way, so be it.

But frankly, I expected better of your good self :).

Last edited:

vcs

Guys, there's nothing wrong in admitting that Sachin failed in that WC final. It doesn't take anything away from his terrific World Cup record and it doesn't affect his status as one of the top 2 or 3 ODI players in history. No need to bring Ponting, Richards etc. etc. into it. That they delivered the goods in their respective finals is to their credit, and partially a testament to the strength of the teams they played in.

In some ways the Tendulkar-McGrath ODI rivalry is similar to the India-Pak ODI rivalry in the '90s. India were dominated overall by Pak after Miandad's 6 in Sharjah, but they always got the better of Pak on the biggest stage of them all, the WC.

No, what's upset me mate is I have never said McGrath owned Tendulkar, but the moment I mentioned McGrath got the better of him in the biggest ODI they played against each other, in response to the point that their record against each other was roughyl even, apparently I've committed a cardinal sin.

Look, whatever, I'm jack of it. Tendulkar owned McGrath, and it was wonderful the way he continued that domination with that spanking 183 notout in the 03 WC final, the game that really counted most. Sorry for getting it so wrong. He has dominated every bowler he's ever faced, the only way he's ever been dismissed was caught Fatigue, bowled Exhaustion for 780.
Sorry I believe you are overreacting here.No one disputed your claim that Mcgrath owned Tendulkar in the biggest match they faced but you were making it sound like that made all the other matches irrelevant.For the record I rate Ponting as Tendulkar's equal so please dont get started on me.