• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daylight robbery from the ZCU

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i read the article. great reading there. Ok, so I didn't read it. So what? Can I please ask questions.
firstly, why are people like Guy Whittal, Andy Flower, Henry Olonga, Neil Johnson and Murray Goodwin retired from international cricket?

Craig

World Traveller
Goodwin, Johnson, Whittall all retired from international cricket and cricket in the case of Whittall for the opportunity to make more money and that Goodwin left Zimbabwe to come to WA and Johnson is now playing domestic cricket in South Africa.

Olonga and Andy Flower retired from international cricket due to their protest against the Zimbabwe government - that is why people here have sigs supporting their stance. I wasnt here during their protest in the World Cup.

Mr. P

Yeah, I know that. The only one I didn't know retired was Guy Whittall. Pity, shared the same maiden name with me.:(

Craig

World Traveller
Your surname is Whittall? Or your first name is Guy?

Go figure, I share a surname with Courtney Walsh (my surname is Walsh).

Craig

World Traveller
Jacques Rudolph said:
Sad to hear, I think really it is a case of things can only get better for the ZIms, and I hope they do...
Well as soon as Mugabe is not in power the better, he is the reason why at times cricket in Zimbabwe is suffering. Now I fully appreciate Olonga's and Andrew Flower's protest.

Mr. P

i agree, craig. like many others, i have considered putting something about flower and olonga in my signiture.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Feel sorry for those guys. Wasn't there a recent thread showing how much the Zimbabwe squad were payed in a year, and I think it worked out at something like £10,000, which in this country is less than the average salary and incredibly meagre for an international sportsman! :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bazza said:
Feel sorry for those guys. Wasn't there a recent thread showing how much the Zimbabwe squad were payed in a year, and I think it worked out at something like £10,000, which in this country is less than the average salary and incredibly meagre for an international sportsman! :(

I think it matters most what currency you are payed in in Zimbabwe, although it doesnt look like they get enough :(