View Poll Results: Top Of Non-Test Playing Nations Clash?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Afghanistan?

1 12.50%
  • Ireland?

7 87.50%

Thread: Afghanistan V Ireland

Afghanistan V Ireland

We have seen a meteoric rise of Afghanistan within a year & the team is becoming better & better with every match they play keeping a lot of other nations to shame & giving Ireland a threat for their Associate crown. While classy Ireland apply for Test status having already beaten giants such as Pakistan & has topped Zimbabwe in ICC ODI table but also had been a latest victim for Afghanistan's aggression. Which team do u think is & could be better in the coming years & for Test Status?

Afghanistan's Achievements:
    2006: Defeated MCC in Mumbai
    2007: Winners of ACC Twenty20 Cup
    2008: Winners of Pepsi WCL Global Div 5 in Jersey
    2008: Winners of Pepsi WCL Global Div 4 in Tanzania
    2009: Winners of Pepsi WCL Global Div 3 in Argentina
    2009: Achieved Odi status by finishing 5th in 2009 ICC CWCQs
    2009: Draw against Zimbabwe A in Zimbabwe in their first Intercontinental Cup Match
    2009: Winners against Netherlands in Netherlands in both Intercontinental Cup & Odi Series
    2009: Qualifies for U/19 Cricket World Cup

Ireland's Achievements:
    2005 - 2008: Winners of all 3 Intercontinental Cups
    2005: Qualifies to Cricket World Cup for the first time by finishing 2nd in 2005 ICC CWCQS
    2006 - 2008: Winners of 2 European Div 1 Titles
    2007: Finished 7th in ICC Cricket World Cup also defeating Pakistan & Bangladesh
    2008: Winners of ICC World T20 Qualifiers at home
    2008: Winners against Kenya in Odi Series at home & away
    2009: Reached super 8 of ICC World T20 also defeating Bangladesh & running close to Sri Lanka
    2009: Winners against Kenya once again at home & raised above Zimbabwe in Odi ranks
    2009: Qualifies to 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup in India by
    winning 2009 ICC CWCQs
    2009: Applies for Test Status

Last edited by laksh_01; 26-11-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Friends, I've started a group for all the WCL fans on facebook. So, who ever is interested pls join... Search "Non-Test Cricket Playing Nations!" in facebook. Thanks...

Cricket Is The Best Sport On Earth, It Deserves More Respect, More Partispating Nations & More Fans. Lets Do Our Best To Spread The Game, Friends.

<<<<<LAKSH>>>>>

Get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe out, make Shakib play for England and bring both Ireland and Afghanistan in.

Quote Originally Posted by metallics2006 View Post
    Get Bangladesh and Zimbabwe out, make Shakib play for England and bring both Ireland and Afghanistan in.
    I feel Bangladesh have shown signs of imp since 2007 Cricket World Cup. It would be really sad if they are expelled now. Zimbabwe on the other hand have got their domestic structure back in place & are getting back on track. Its not necessary to expel a country in order to get others in.

Whats the use of having them as test nations if they never play test series that are of considerable length. They mostly get 2 test series and that too not very frequently. It isn't helping anybody. If the test schedule is changed to give all teams more and equal matches, I have no problems with every team staying in and teams being added. The current system sucks.

I know current series have become very boring with no proper goal set.

A proper Test Championship every 4 Years should make test cricket more meaningful. for example:

Tournament:
    ICC Test Championship 2012 - 2016

Rules:

Test Tiers: Each tour shouldn't be more or less than 3 test matches & 5 Odis for any nation home & away basis.
    IC Cup or Tier C: Each tour shouldn't be more or less than 1 First Class match & 3 Odis for any nation home & away basis.

As per Current ranking:
    Tier A:
    1) South Africa
    2) Sri Lanka
    3) India
    4) Australia
    5) England
    6) Pakistan

Tier B:
    7) New Zealand
    8) West Indies
    9) Bangladesh
    10) Zimbabwe
    11) Ireland
    12) Afghanistan

Intercontinental Cup or Tier C:
    13) Canada
    14) The Netherlands
    15) Kenya
    16) Scotland
    17) Namibia
    18) Uganda

Lets say if it ends this way:
    Tier 1 Qualification: New Zealand must play 3 Test Match Series against Pakistan at home & away.
    Tier 2 Qualification: IC Cup winner must play 3 Test Match Series against Afghanistan at home & away.
    IC Cup or Tier C Qualification: Top 4 Teams from Cricket World Cup Qualifiers & 2 teams random ICC pick.
    Last edited by laksh_01; 26-11-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    And that's fair on NZ, WI and Bangladesh how?

As for getting rid of 5 Test series, why?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    And that's fair on NZ, WI and Bangladesh how?

As for getting rid of 5 Test series, why?

On New Zealand & West Indies:
    Let me ask U one thing can u bet on NZL or Windies topping the present Test table even 10 Years from now? I say hell no. Its better to play in 2nd Tier & help them selves as well as others to improve than just make the numbers in Tier 1. Another advantage is that being in Tier 2 a team can set them self a target to reach Tier 1 & creat a hunger for it. Where as the bottom team of Tier 1 also have the threat of being relegated to Tier 2 as New Zealand & West Indies are capable of pulling them back.

On 5 test series: Dude lets accept it. Other games are getting faster & better with lots of youngsters showing interest in them. I love Test cricket too but too much is too bad. Short, competitive & quality series makes fans ask for more, hence generating more interest than playing 5 Test Series, 7 Odis creating player burn out & testing fan's patience. Cricket shouldn't look boring anymore by playing too much of it. Game has to change with changing environment or it will perish.
    Last edited by laksh_01; 27-11-2009 at 04:27 AM.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Laksh, I don't want you to take this personally and I've got no idea what vested interest you have in Associate cricket, but I think you kind of need to have a look at the bigger picture. The Associate sides, especially in the longer form of the game, are all still miles short of the likes of New Zealand and the West Indies. No amount of creating divisions (which would wreck the reputation of cricket in NZ, West Indies and Bangladesh) will solve this. Plus trying to make international cricket, particularly Tests, correspond to a set formula would be ignorant to the spirit, character and nature of the game. Plus it's widely acknowledged that the longer a Test series is between two competitive sides, the more absorbing it is.

I have an interest in Bangladeshi cricket and will write about it in length. But I won't deny the realities of them still being a substandard Test side. I get the impression you're seeking to elevate the Associates well beyond their actual standards.

Thread Information