• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see your point, but I just think with him there isn't anything to work with. Touch above medium pace, wayward, inconsistent line and lengths and isn't partiuclarly fit. Would prefer a bowler like Pascal to be in the squad to be honest - there is some raw materials to work with there.
Rampaul has bowled some very promising spells in this series though. All Pascal genuinely has going for him is pace and movement that he's never looked likely to control. Let him play some domestic cricket and prove that he can get it under control. Otherwise I'd rather have Powell. At least he can occasionally get it together for an over or two.

I think Rampaul's main problem is a lack of fitness. I mean, I'm not calling him fat, but he's not exactly underweight for a fast bowler.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Is he? That's fair enough then. But I still think there has to be someone in the Carribean with more decent raw materials as a Test quick than Rampaul.
As Gilchrist said earlier, Rampaul can get up over 144, bowling well. But he's only shown that sort of form in T20 cricket of late. It suggests that fitness is his biggest concern. He's shown he can move the ball, decent accuracy and some intelligence in the way he got Ponting last time around.

Andre

International Regular
Rampaul has bowled some very promising spells in this series though. All Pascal genuinely has going for him is pace and movement that he's never looked likely to control. Let him play some domestic cricket and prove that he can get it under control. Otherwise I'd rather have Powell. At least he can occasionally get it together for an over or two.

I think Rampaul's main problem is a lack of fitness. I mean, I'm not calling him fat, but he's not exactly underweight for a fast bowler.
From what I've seen of Rampaul (and it's not a limited scope to be honest, he's been around the international circuit since 2003) his control isn't exactly strong either, and he is just above medium pace.

Doesn't look like he's really developed over the 6 years I've seen him play to be honest.

Yeah Powell is decent I reckon - how his average is so high was a suprise to me, always thought he bowled a lot better than his figures suggested. But if it's like that for so long, and you don't et wickets, it eventually adds up.

What's the story with Richardson?

PS: Even though Sammy was diabolical in Adelaide, I'd have played him ahead of Rampaul.

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
From what I've seen of Rampaul (and it's not a limited scope to be honest, he's been around the international circuit since 2003) his control isn't exactly strong either, and he is just above medium pace.

Doesn't look like he's really developed over the 6 years I've seen him play to be honest.

Yeah Powell is decent I reckon - how his average is so high was a suprise to be, always thoguht he bowled a lot better than his figures suggested. But if it's like that for so long, and you don't et wickets, it eventually adds up.

PS: Even though Sammy was diabolical in Adelaide, I'd have played him ahead of Rampaul.
I figure you don't know what you're talking about. Rampaul has far more to offer than Sammy.

Oh and Richardson is going to be playing FC cricket. Apparently was supposed to replace Taylor but didn't happen.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Is he? That's fair enough then. But I still think there has to be someone in the Carribean with more decent raw materials as a Test quick than Rampaul.
Rampaul was very impressive at youth level for WI as well. I remember watching the 2004 Under-19 WC Final & he looked really good. He seemed to gained a bit of weight with all his injuries over the years.

Taylor/Roach/Edwards/Rampaul/Tongue/Pascal is the best WI have IMO. If they come out of this box its crap.

I've heard of bowler from Jamaica by the name of Dawes or something, Liam or roseboy to say more..

Andre

International Regular
As Gilchrist said earlier, Rampaul can get up over 144, bowling well. But he's only shown that sort of form in T20 cricket of late. It suggests that fitness is his biggest concern. He's shown he can move the ball, decent accuracy and some intelligence in the way he got Ponting last time around.
Yeah, don't think that him getting Ponting out last Test had a heck of a lot to do with intelligence or good bowling to be honest. Punter played a pretty ordinary shot to a ball that kept a bit low on a 5th day wicket, didn't exactly get a working over.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well having watched him in regional cricket, this year he definitely did look a much improved bowler. His accuracy has improved, though it's still just decent at best, and he is a better bowler on the whole. As I said, he needs to get himself in shape so that he can consistently bowl at the pace that he is capable of.
Yeah Powell is decent I reckon - how his average is so high was a suprise to be, always thoguht he bowled a lot better than his figures suggested. But if it's like that for so long, and you don't et wickets, it eventually adds up.
No, Powell is terrible. A terrible waste of ability. In pretty much every innings he bowls he puts together (usually first up) a couple of overs packed with beautiful deliveries. If he doesn't get wickets then, he almost certainly relapses into 2-3 long hops per over and average balls in between.

The only time that Powell is capable of sustaining any pressure is when he's confident. And for all his shouts and talks, he's rarely confident it seems.
May be injured. Xavier will know. I rate him, but he bowled poorly in a warmup match in England earlier this year and seemed to fall away from the selectors thoughts a bit. That said, he was in the squad for the 1st Test v Bangladesh until the strike. Probably injured, but I can't remember for sure.
Now that's ridiculous. Rampaul comfortably outbowled Sammy in the last Test match. And though he didn't have a great debut, he bowled very well at Ponting in his first spell and could easily have had a couple more wickets in that innings.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Rampaul was very impressive at youth level for WI as well. I remember watching the 2004 Under-19 WC Final & he looked really good. He seemed to gained a bit of weight with all his injuries over the years.

Taylor/Roach/Edwards/Rampaul/Tongue/Pascal is the best WI have IMO. If they come out of this box its crap.

I've heard of bowler from Jamaica by the name of Dawes or something, Liam or roseboy to say more..
Richardson better than Pascal and it's Tonge. Dawes in the Jamaica squad as well. Not much FC experience to him.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
I figure you don't know what you're talking about. Rampaul has far more to offer than Sammy.
Haha settle down Tony Cozier!

I've seen Sammy bowl well with good control on a number of occassions, he's about on par with Rampaul when they are both bowling well plus his batting is a little better. Sammy doesn't exactly see eye to eye with Gayle though from memory?

I will make it clear I've never at one stage claimed to be an expert on WI cricket, but application is more the problem with them rather than ability, a lot of their bowlers have a bit about them from what I've seen. Admittedly Rampaul has struggled with injury over a number of years, maybe that has had an impact on it cause I reckon he has declined rather than improved during his time in international cricket, he looked a good prospect early.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I've seen Sammy bowl well with good control on a number of occassions, he's about on par with Rampaul when they are both bowling well plus his batting is a little better.
I'm not sure Sammy's batting is that much better than Rampaul's for starters. Sammy has ability, but has never had the shot selection to amount to much. This is more me not rating Sammy's batting than rating Rampaul's, though Rampaul has shown he can definitely bat.

As for bowling, I disagree entirely. Sammy bowls line and length and does nothing with the ball. As I've stated tirelessly, Rampaul is capable of pace that Sammy has never had, when fit and raring. And Rampaul is much more capable of moving the ball off the seam.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Kevin McClean | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

I've heard some good things about McClean, he has a really good record too and he's young. He's been in the West Indies squad before has he not?
He was in the CT squad. Definitely a lot of ability, and by this time next year I think he'd have played at least one Test. A massive benificiary of the University team, because like a lot of Bajans, he wouldn't have played much first-class cricket otherwise.

Andre

International Regular
As for bowling, I disagree entirely. Sammy bowls line and length and does nothing with the ball. As I've stated tirelessly, Rampaul is capable of pace that Sammy has never had, when fit and raring. And Rampaul is much more capable of moving the ball off the seam.
Yeah no doubt that Rampaul is quicker. He's not really quick enough to worry quality batsmen though. But personally (and bare in mind it is a personal opinion) I think that Sammy would be more complimentary to Roach than Rampaul is. Sammy isn't a world beater by any means but for some reason he seems to have a knack of picking up wickets from nowhere and potentially tie up an end, which I haven't seen Rampaul do as of yet.