• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alec Stewart Retires

Andre

International Regular
Alec Stewart today pulled the curtain on his international career.

His last Test will be at the oval against South Africa.

Talk has already emeged he won't make it that far, but it would be a great shame if he didn't.

I'd like to wish him all the best - has been a fantastic servant to English cricket and an excellent ambassador in general.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd like to think that he does play at the Oval for obvious reasons.

Incidentally, the duck's had a look at this news item too - see front page.

DD's column

PY

International Coach
8281 runs in 128 Tests at average of 40.19. 15 centuries and 44 half-centuries. A career that has spanned over 13 years and quite a few captains including himself and he is now the 2nd highest run-scorer in Test cricket for England

Think he's good enough for a little respect :D. Couldn't have asked for any more really.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's quite patriotic, so I think it depends on the state of the series. If England are looking in good shape, he'll probably hand off to Read, but if they struggle....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely the English selectors aren't that cruel. They should allow him to play as long as he wants, unless he scores 4 straight ducks and drops 22 catches. :P

Craig

World Traveller
Well I hope he goes out and scores 170* or why not a 250*? Still one of England's best batsmen and I hope he does very well.

I figured he would go out in front of his home crowd at The Oval and yes Marc, I do expect the England selectors to keep him to the end of the series as he is probably twice the batsman Read and Jones are.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
PY said:
8281 runs in 128 Tests at average of 40.19. 15 centuries and 44 half-centuries. A career that has spanned over 13 years and quite a few captains including himself and he is now the 2nd highest run-scorer in Test cricket for England

Think he's good enough for a little respect :D. Couldn't have asked for any more really.
Agreed. At various stages in his career he has seemed one of the few Englishmen prepared to play with the necessary grit and concentration required at test level.
To still be good enough to play at the highest level at age 40 is a credit to him.
Well done.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Big loss. Not only to English cricket but to World cricket. he was one guy that I thought was awesome.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Why is Warne your favourite cricketer or is it because he is a Melbournian?
It's difficult to define - let's just call it 'Chemistry'

<quack> stop using my line

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
What line?
Every time the duck writes about Warne, there's a gag about Shane's mum, Shane's Chemist, more often Shane's mum asking Shane to nip to the Chemists etc etc etc.

I can't believe I just explained that.

You are either
a) an alien sent to earth to gather information about cricket before your people launch an invasion, probably using the deadly kookaburra cricket ball as a novel type of guided weapon
or
b) extremely witty and got the gag, and used the 'line' reference to describe an activity involving a razor blade, a mirror and a straw (as demonstrated by Robbie Fowler in a goal celebration a few years ago)