Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: South African Domestic Season 2009/10

I think I can name about 10 to 15 players of colour who have left the Western Cape to go up to the highveld because they struggle to produce players of colour up there. One of the main reasons for Vandiar to leave though was his lazy attitude and Ray Jennings said it would be the best move for him to move away from home.

Craig Alexander is another to have left the cape and sure he may be the fastest outside the SA set-up and regularly bowls 150 clicks but is not international level. Not tall enough and it skid through at a good pace and if it doesn't swing can be very average.

I saw Malan a couple of times and he looked very composed at the crease. Lots of people in SA are fans of Snijamn but I am definitely not.

I played a lot of cricket with Brad Barnes, Kieswetter and Levi and are amazing talents. WP cricket of the old days is being disgraced by what they call the Cobras today thanks to Shukr Conrad and other selecting their favouries like Philander, Kleinvedlt and the likes.

I grew up watching this WP team...think what it is today.

1. Desmond Haynes
    2. Gary Kirsten
    3. Jacques Kallis
    4. HD Ackerman
    5. Herschelle Gibbs
    6. Brian McMillan
    7. Paul Kirsten
    8. Eric Simons
    9.Craig Matthews
    10. Dave Rundle
    11. Meryck Pringle

Then later came Prince, Willoughby, Henderson and the like.

Don't know how important it is but Malan is having a bit of a shocker this season in England.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Yeah, been appalling every time I've seen him bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Alexander isn't that small, similar build and height to Steyn. Around 5'10/11. Hits enough batsman to suggest he is hard to handle. de Wet is around the same height also.

I think Walters of the Titans could be anything. Built like a brick**** house and despite not having a great amount of pace currently, he does bowl a heavy ball and looks capable of bowling quicker. Had a pretty decent tour of Australia, as did most of the Emerging bowlers.

Lots of young quicks around and given Ntini is on his last legs, places are up for grabs. Parnell isn't a dead cert whilst there is also a vacant third seamer slot to be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post

Spoke of Vandiar but Vilas is also a serious talent. Very easy on the eye and has all the shots. Interesting how VB van Jaarsveld reacts after such a disappointing tour of Australia, had multiple opportunities to impress but really did buckle under the pressure.
    Dane Vilas looks decent but prefer Kuhn and Smit. He also played his first season and we need to see his second.

I used to be a big fan of VVJ but has too many flaws despite breaking Biffs records at KES.
    He can come into bat on an absolute Viper of a pitch at the Wanderes which you normally get and make it look easy but it took him along time to adapt to provincial cricket due to his lack of self-confidence and technical ability.

He will not get the chances for SA as he got for the Lions or Gauteng. He doesn't have good enough defence and is not tight enough early in his innings. Those are to primary things you need to have to be successful at international level because you will get more wicket taking balls at the very top and defence is key to stop them. Lastly he cannot face spin if his life depended on it. I would go as far as to say he is worse than Andrew Hudson and 'Judge' Smith at playing spin.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Yeah, been appalling every time I've seen him bat.
    Shame really. Definite signs of promise in the 08 season so I've followed him this year, keeping track of how he's doing. I've been disappointed by him though

Dawid Malan's career is built on one performance, a 20/20 game against Lancashire where he took apart Flintoff. Did nothing at Boland prior to joining Middlesex. But SeamUp is talking about another Malan, Pieter of the Titans.

Pieter Malan | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Alexander isn't that small, similar build and height to Steyn. Around 5'10/11. Hits enough batsman to suggest he is hard to handle. de Wet is around the same height also.

I'm 5'10'' and Alexander is shorter than me by a tad. Most people call me short in SA. lol

I think Walters of the Titans could be anything. Built like a brick**** house and despite not having a great amount of pace currently, he does bowl a heavy ball and looks capable of bowling quicker. Had a pretty decent tour of Australia, as did most of the Emerging bowlers.

Decent but nothing great. Very similar to Garnett Kruger who has a scatter gun radar. Absolutely huge he is and wouldn't do badly as a lock for the Springboks.

Lots of young quicks around and given Ntini is on his last legs, places are up for grabs. Parnell isn't a dead cert whilst there is also a vacant third seamer slot to be taken.
    Parnell and McLaren and Morne will fight it out to be number 8 in the order for the first test. Mickey has been in the SA press stating Parnell is hammering on the door to the test incumbents.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Dane Vilas looks decent but prefer Kuhn and Smit. He also played his first season and we need to see his second.

I used to be a big fan of VVJ but has too many flaws despite breaking Biffs records at KES.
    He can come into bat on an absolute Viper of a pitch at the Wanderes which you normally get and make it look easy but it took him along time to adapt to provincial cricket due to his lack of self-confidence and technical ability.

He will not get the chances for SA as he got for the Lions or Gauteng. He doesn't have good enough defence and is not tight enough early in his innings. Those are to primary things you need to have to be successful at international level because you will get more wicket taking balls at the very top and defence is key to stop them. Lastly he cannot face spin if his life depended on it. I would go as far as to say he is worse than Andrew Hudson and 'Judge' Smith at playing spin.
    Yeah VB is the worst player of spin in the country. Probably up there with Kempie but he does have a sweep, which sometimes gets himself out of trouble, when in doubt, just sweep.

Don't think Smit's batting is good enough for international cricket. Kuhn could bat six/seven in test cricket, not sure if Smit can. Could be an option in limited overs cricket, as he offers the side bowling and is an innovative batsman.

I've got to be honest and say Dawid Malan isn't a real loss to SA cricket. He wouldn't make the Cobras team. I did see that 100 in the T20 on skysports a couple of years ago but is he a one hit wonder?

I follow SA, ENG and AUS domestic cricket closely and Dawid Malan hasn't been doing anything great.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Parnell and McLaren and Morne will fight it out to be number 8 in the order for the first test. Mickey has been in the SA press stating Parnell is hammering on the door to the test incumbents.
    A good Champions Trophy, ODI series against England will guarantee selection but Parnell's record in first class cricket isn't that hot and he impressed more with the bat than the ball with Kent.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Been more impressed with Malan's bowling actually.

Dawid Malan's career is built on one performance, a 20/20 game against Lancashire where he took apart Flintoff. Did nothing at Boland prior to joining Middlesex. But SeamUp is talking about another Malan, Pieter of the Titans.

Pieter Malan | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
    Yeah tbh you're right. I saw that innings and then for the following month the had the "Eye on England" for every live game he played. Although during that period he did back it up with some good FC performances. Just over the course of a few weeks it built up some expectation in my mind, even if it was a false dawn it showed promise.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Been more impressed with Malan's bowling actually.
    He has put in solid performances... IIRC he picked up 4fer a week or 2 (or 3) ago.

Wayne Parnell to me is one of those cricketers who will not be as impressive in domestic cricket as he will be in international cricket. You just get those cricketers and a good example is Ashwell Prince is SA.

You cannot purely look at stats when it comes to Parnell because if you just watch him he has an edge about him that clearly has game-breaker written on his forehead.

I don't know if you know what I mean TT Boy.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information