Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: England Are 2nd Best In Test Cricket

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i was talking about Gilly with the bat, where he is undenyably by far the best keeper batsman in the world - in terms of batting
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Tim
    I think the reason why England currently rank behind NZ is the fact that NZ beat England 2-1 in England in 1999...otherwise I think their test records are even-stevens.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    The ranking system has changed though!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant
    sorry Shaun - you may have missed some of the earlier threads regarding teams & injuries, but NZ were far from being at full strength when they toured OZ. In fact NZs injury list prior to that tour was worse than Englands coming out of the Ashes.

Specifically on the OZ tour NZ lost Bell to poor form, O'Connor, Nash & Tuffey to injury, and Vettori & Cairns had yet to play a full tour since coming back from 2 prolonged injury spells. Of the NZ bowlers in the Perth Test from memory Martin was making his debut tour & Bond his Test debut along with Vincent as opening bat.

Bond's selection for that test was as the 2nd or 3rd replacement seamer for that Tour!

Yes NZ were being smashed in the weather effected first two tests & were 'saved' by the weather, but when the weather had no effect even leading into the match, on a pitch that is ideally suited to the Aussie attack, NZ out batted & out bowled a full strength Aussie lineup & should have had a victory had they had a bit more experience in how to close out a match, and had the ZIM ump done his job a bit better.

Conversley the Aussies were below strength when beaten by ENG.

1 = OZ
    2 = SA

Pinball Champion!
    OMG!!! I cant believe I am hearing this... This beggars belief...Oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Welcome Shawn.

Don't half spout some rubbish, do ya?

I think you have a slightly inflated opinion of Rikki Clarke (well, any opinion is inflated..) Read will never be able to match Gilchrist as a batsmen and whilst Solanki and McGrath have talent, they need to prove themselves internationally first.

And to consider teams' abilities without taking into account their mentalities is like considering a cyclist's chances of winning Le Tour without taking their climbing into account.

England a billion times better than India? Explain why the last series in England was drawn, then. I feel England are slightly above them - only slightly, mind - but aren't likely to win in India.

As for "Dravid has no-one to play with" - Ganguly averages more away than at home and as much as I dislike the guy, I respect him as someone who, with Wright, has transformed India into so much more of a unit. There's also a guy with the middle name "Ramesh", who's quite good.

And please don't pay any attention to the ICC's rankings, they're crap.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by anzac
    sorry Shaun - you may have missed some of the earlier threads regarding teams & injuries, but NZ were far from being at full strength when they toured OZ. In fact NZs injury list prior to that tour was worse than Englands coming out of the Ashes.
    I find that hard to believe.

Originally posted by anzac
    Specifically on the OZ tour NZ lost Bell to poor form, O'Connor, Nash & Tuffey to injury, and Vettori & Cairns had yet to play a full tour since coming back from 2 prolonged injury spells. Of the NZ bowlers in the Perth Test from memory Martin was making his debut tour & Bond his Test debut along with Vincent as opening bat.
    And I would be right in my thoughts.

Flintoff, Giles, Gough, Jones, Silverwood, ...

Also bear in mind, 2 of those happened during the first innings, meaning we played with 10 men.

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar

Re: India

Originally posted by Shawn Badyk
    And an Indian who had half a brain would say that England are a billion times better than India in Test cricket, if you want proof compare the results of the two teams over the past 2 decades.
    Hmm.... I don't visit this website for a week and this is what happens....a crazy pom on the loose, and that too in OzLand.....

England is a billion times better then India, eh ?? I reckon, that means England should have thrashed India so bad the last time around, that the very thought of playing cricket again should have been scary for India.... but you won't happen to know what actually transpired when these two teams met the last time around, as probably you hadn't hatched out of the egg yet, I suppose.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, Shaun but already you've raised an area of concern and I'd like to point out that this;

What you must remember is South Africans are very arrogant people
    is NOT acceptable. Generalisations on racial or national lines will not be looked favourably upon by us in the staff of the site so you'll do well to limit your epithets to cricket-related ones.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Originally posted by marc71178
    I find that hard to believe.

And I would be right in my thoughts.

Flintoff, Giles, Gough, Jones, Silverwood, ...

Also bear in mind, 2 of those happened during the first innings, meaning we played with 10 men.

yeah but i think your forgetting the varied series outcomes...

Banned

USA

Some uneducated American tries to insult me but in the process he makes a fool out of himself. USA has as many players in their player base as all the Test playing nations, yet USA are hopeless in cricket and cannot even make the World Cup.

England are 2nd best in Test cricket, that is a fact.

South Africa have won in India, but I don't consider that an achievment, as India haven't won outside of India in 17 years and psychology is the only reason no one wins in India.

England have had Australia beat many times but lost due to lack of faith.

England had more injuries in the last Ashes series than New Zealand ever did in Australia. And England played with 10 men in the 1st Test, yet we still managed to score over 300 in the first innings, something New Zealand failed to do when they were in Brisbane. England also batted well in the 1st innings in Adelaide, and in Sydney were awesome. Perth was the only place England were humiliated. England made Australia fight in the Melbourne Test.

South Africa were miserable when they played in Australia, I expected them to maybe draw the series, but they were very dissapointing.

And England fielded a very young team in the Ashes, Australia had an experienced team and England were far more worn down than Australia were. England won the 5th Test match in style and we earnt the victory.

Some crazy American comes here thinking he is king of the world, your opinion means nothing so learn that.

Pinball Champion!

Re: USA

Originally posted by Shawn Badyk
    your opinion means nothing so learn that.

So his opinion means nothing? Why? What makes us think your opinion counts for anything when you come here spouting absolute crap?

South Africans are arrogant? In my experiences they are the most friendly in the world... Your entitled to your opinion, but you had better take a long hard look at your own before having a dig at a load of people that have probably done nothing to you...

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    I've read enough. The guy is a troll - a flame-bait merchant.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Banned

the truth

I know everything about this game therefore my opinion is important. No one else here would have an extensive knowledge of this game like I do.

I have a good looking face and I am mentally ill, but I am a better person than most other people here. No one here has a face that is as good looking as mine.

Ok Shaun, I've heard enough from you. Your behaviour is not warranted, take your views somewhere else.

Don't expect to have an account within 24 hours, and don't bother re-reistering.

Thread Closed.
    Last edited by Andre; 10-07-2003 at 08:57 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information