• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No ODI cricket for under 17

Craig

World Traveller
I read it on Cricinfo. They need to start playing four day cricket, so when they move up, they will be prepared.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think some of each is needed becuase they are so different. If they only play 4 day cricket then when they do play the OD stuff they will be scoring very low and won't know how to balance the inning properly.

Deja moo

International Captain
tamara : I think some of each is needed becuase they are so different. If they only play 4 day cricket then when they do play the OD stuff they will be scoring very low and won't know how to balance the inning properly.
You're missing the point completely.
Under 17 guys are at a stage in their cricketing life when they can assimilate a lot of the basics that go into making up their technique. It is right , therefore to keep them away from soaking up any bad habits from one day cricket ( crossbatted shots, slogging , "containment bowling"as opposed to wicket taking bowling).

Once these bad habits are picked up it is very difficult to revert to good technique in 4 or 5 day cricket when they are older......It is a known fact that players become more rigid in their technique as they get older.

As for ' balancing the innings 'in odi cricket, they have the rest of their careers after the age of 17 to do pick up those points of the limited overs game.

Good test players make good odi players more often than good odi players trying to make it good in the test arena...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I see your point Orange but 50 over cricket does require some composure as well. If india do that u will find some great test players but u will find that one day players are only going to mature later. That may not be a bad thing.

I also think that some players aren't going to have the patients to play the longer form at a young age and it could turn them away from the game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mikey's certainly had a lot to say on this subject over the last few years.

His opinion has always seemed to be 'learn to bat first' - in other words, learn the techniques of defence, building an innings, 'proper' strokes and so on, then move on to the 'special case' which is one-day cricket (nudging, nurdling, rotating the strike, having a waft).

It's strange, when you think about it. When we start playing the game as kids, it's always limited-overs cricket first.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm intrigued as to what this means for age-group development at U11-U15 level etc.

Here we play either pairs/inter cricket or 20 overs a side in the local leagues and then 40-50 overs at county level, what's it like elsewhere?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
When I played JAB cricket with the boys(an under 14 age group) in 'A' grade we played a 2 day game however we had to declare after 50 overs in the first innings.

In 'B' grade we just played the 40 over a side game.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Mikey's certainly had a lot to say on this subject over the last few years.

His opinion has always seemed to be 'learn to bat first' - in other words, learn the techniques of defence, building an innings, 'proper' strokes and so on, then move on to the 'special case' which is one-day cricket (nudging, nurdling, rotating the strike, having a waft).

It's strange, when you think about it. When we start playing the game as kids, it's always limited-overs cricket first.
Does that include the "reverse straight drive"? Pattened by Mr Ryan Campbell.

Bazza

International 12th Man
How can you do a reverse straight drive? Surely if you're hitting it straight it's the same either way?

Craig

World Traveller
Ok, during the Australia 'A' series, 'keeper Ryan Campbell would often get on his knees and scoop a full length ball up over the wicket keeper's head for four. You cant coach it, but it can be a anoying for the captain and bowler, here the bowler is pitching it up on the stumps, and the batsmen is hitting it over 'keepers head with no fieldsmen.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I could be coached. I had one girl in the under 14 team that I coached who could do that.. she stopped after she hit it straight into her head though.

Surly it isn't called a reverse straight drive.. It has nothing to do with driving.

Craig

World Traveller
Tamara said:
I could be coached. I had one girl in the under 14 team that I coached who could do that.. she stopped after she hit it straight into her head though.

Surly it isn't called a reverse straight drive.. It has nothing to do with driving.
Was she wearing a helmet or wouldnt of made much difference?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Craig said:
Ok, during the Australia 'A' series, 'keeper Ryan Campbell would often get on his knees and scoop a full length ball up over the wicket keeper's head for four. You cant coach it, but it can be a anoying for the captain and bowler, here the bowler is pitching it up on the stumps, and the batsmen is hitting it over 'keepers head with no fieldsmen.
But wasn't it Marillier who started it against McGrath in Aus. Campbell must have used it last year or the year before .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Going to the original question.

What would happen if a 16 year old batsman came along, good enough to pay for India. Would he be selected for an ODI?

Deja moo

International Captain
What would happen if a 16 year old batsman came along, good enough to pay for India. Would he be selected for an ODI?
There already a 17 yr old ready to play for india..Ambati Rayudu.....and the selectors arent ready to play him yet.