• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current NZL batting potential

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. Guptill
2. How
3. Flynn
4. Taylor
5. Ryder
In Tests:

Guptill

How/McIntosh/anyone
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Loving how a guy who hasn't played a Test and has an ordinary First Class average jumps ahead of incumbents on the back of ODI performances.

Though if How doesn't do anything great soon, I'd like to see McIntosh and Guptill together at the top of the order in Tests.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
It's always been his shot. Actually, in his first ODI century he twice hit Tillakaratne Dilshan for sixes over cow corner with that shot. I actually remember thinking, when Dilshan came on, that it was inevitable that a couple were going on to or over the McLean Park stands, and he duly obliged. He loves that shot against the spinners in particular.
Yip, I was there at Napier that day.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Loving how a guy who hasn't played a Test and has an ordinary First Class average jumps ahead of incumbents on the back of ODI performances.

Though if How doesn't do anything great soon, I'd like to see McIntosh and Guptill together at the top of the order in Tests.
Just quietly it has nothing to do with his ODI performances. More or less his universally regarded talent in the longer form of the game.

Also he is averaging the highest out of domestic openers this season (only two innings though :-p )

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I do feel sorry for How though. He showed against England in tough conditions that he's good enough to be a test opener. If he can work out the rough spots of his game, I think he'll wind up with a test average in the low to mid 30's which we'd kill for at the moment tbh.

Flem274*

123/5
I do feel sorry for How though. He showed against England in tough conditions that he's good enough to be a test opener. If he can work out the rough spots of his game, I think he'll wind up with a test average in the low to mid 30's which we'd kill for at the moment tbh.
Oh my God! Bahnz agrees with me! *dies*

Nutter

U19 Debutant
I'm a big Jamie How fan and would like to see him partner Guptill in the future. McIntosh has pretty much done nothing wrong though apart from possessing the world's most horrendous pull shot.

Flynn is great at 3. Taylor and Ryder pick themselves.

Number 6 up for debate.

McCullum and Vettori bag the next two spots.

Then the bowlers of which Iain O'Brien has a spot somewhere. Southee too probably, when the time is right.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just quietly it has nothing to do with his ODI performances. More or less his universally regarded talent in the longer form of the game.
Yeah. And just watching him bat, it's immediately obvious that he's in a different league to the likes of Redmond and (although I don't like to say it and I want to see him get a run in the team) McIntosh.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm a big Jamie How fan and would like to see him partner Guptill in the future. McIntosh has pretty much done nothing wrong though apart from possessing the world's most horrendous pull shot.

Flynn is great at 3. Taylor and Ryder pick themselves.

Number 6 up for debate.

McCullum and Vettori bag the next two spots.

Then the bowlers of which Iain O'Brien has a spot somewhere. Southee too probably, when the time is right.
I'm worried someone like Dale Steyn will kill McIntosh on a greentop.

Yeah. And just watching him bat, it's immediately obvious that he's in a different league to the likes of Redmond and (although I don't like to say it and I want to see him get a run in the team) McIntosh.
AWTA. Guptill is one of those rare "talent" selections that I agree with.

Athlai

Not Terrible
AWTA. Guptill is one of those rare "talent" selections that I agree with.
You mean like Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Daniel Flynn (Tests only)?

Our talent selections seem to do much better than our domestic merit selections TBH.

Flem274*

123/5
You mean like Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Daniel Flynn (Tests only)?

Our talent selections seem to do much better than our domestic merit selections TBH.
Ryder and Southee got in on merit. Flynn did have one excellent season, and Taylor was always pretty good in ODIs and was a matter of time before he played tests.

Lou Vincent, Hamish Marshall, James Marshall, Ian Butler, Chris Martin, shall I go on? Talent selections more often than not don't work, unless they've found someone special. The only real talent selections in the side are Vettori, Oram, McCullum, Guptill and arguably Flynn. Everyone else proved themselves.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ryder and Southee got in on merit. Flynn did have one excellent season, and Taylor was always pretty good in ODIs and was a matter of time before he played tests.

Lou Vincent, Hamish Marshall, James Marshall, Ian Butler, Chris Martin, shall I go on? Talent selections more often than not don't work, unless they've found someone special. The only real talent selections in the side are Vettori, Oram, McCullum, Guptill and arguably Flynn. Everyone else proved themselves.
Vincent- talent
Marshall- merit/talent (which he had at the start to be fair)
Marshall- (wasn't really in the team and tends to do well domestically)
Butler- merit/talent and then broke
Martin- one of most reliable and good bowlers in the past ten years not exceptional but decent

Taylor was definitely a talent rather than merit selection in Tests, and Ryder was the opposite, merit for ODI.

Flem274*

123/5
Vincent- talent
Marshall- merit/talent (which he had at the start to be fair)
Marshall- (wasn't really in the team and tends to do well domestically)
Butler- merit/talent and then broke
Martin- one of most reliable and good bowlers in the past ten years not exceptional but decent

Taylor was definitely a talent rather than merit selection in Tests, and Ryder was the opposite, merit for ODI.
Marshall had a FC average of SFA.
Vincent was not a talent. Decent, but not anything amazing.
Other Marshall: Only in the last two or so years has he been a merit pick.
Butler 2004: piechucker
Martin: Reliable is not Martin. He'd smash up anything in NZ or SA but get spanked everywhere else.

The only real merit selection to go wrong has been Mathew Sinclair and arguably Michael Mason (who has only played one test). Papps and Cumming aren't merit, their overall FC records are so so. Same with Bell. Fulton still has hope imo.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Marshall had a FC average of SFA.
Other Marshall: Only in the last two or so years has he been a merit pick.
Butler 2004: piechucker
Martin: Reliable is not Martin. He'd smash up anything in NZ or SA but get spanked everywhere else.

The only real merit selection to go wrong has been Mathew Sinclair and arguably Michael Mason (who has only played one test). Papps and Cumming aren't merit, their overall FC records are so so. Same with Bell. Fulton still has hope imo.
Merit selections in New Zealand mean better than the others available. Which most of those I mentioned have been.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
What was the story behind Vincent's selection? His record wasn't that great domestically. and he wasn't setting the world alight apart from his awesome debut test.

He ended up being one of my favourite players though despite not performing a lot of the time, and I desperately wanted him to do well.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geez you're an idiot sometimes Phlegm. How about you actually put a little thought into your posts instead of making massive, sweeping statements?

Polo23

International Debutant
Nathan Astle described Vincent as the most talented NZ batsman he'd ever seen. Take from that what you will.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
From the looks of it they can be a seriously good batting line-up, there best ever for the past 2 decade. Did not see the famous 80's NZ team but potential wise from what I have seen I feel Guptil, Ryder, Taylor > Fleming, Astle, McMillan.

Add Mccullam, Vettori, Franklin, Oram and Elliot it would have depth with quality. Sure they might lack the inspiration of Chris Cairns and the pace of Shane Bond but overall this is one quality unit developing.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. I feel that their Test match game will improve quite a lot and I am sure they will remain a good ODI outfit, especially at home. No mention of Daniel Flynn? I was very impressed with him in England, when after being hit on the head, in the next match, his first innings since the incident, he came out and batted bravely for 40-50 odd when his side were up against it.