• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrats Mahela

Xuhaib

International Coach
First Sri Lankan to score 8000 runs in tests, not their best ever batsman but still a modern day great

Xuhaib

International Coach
Who would you say is ahead of him? I'd only rate Sangakkara as being a better batsman. De Silva was great, but not quite as good.
Yeah Sanga is better the case of De Silva is debatable maybe someone like Chaminda or Richard can put some light on it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's no way on Earth Mahela was or is better than Aravinda IMO, however many runs he compiles in the subcontinent. Make no mistake, Mahela is a terrific player and far from hopeless outside the subcontinent but he's enjoyed luxuries which Aravinda did only to a much lesser extent and though he's cashed-in far more effectively in some areas than Aravinda ever did (possibly ever cared to), he's still, in my book, achieved less.

Sangakkara, though, whenever he retires will surely beyond question go down as Sri Lanka's finest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm always happiest, these days, to keep those who've retired and those still playing still with plenty of years ahead of them separate.

Sangakkara should currently be in the prime of his career, and the next 2-3 years should hopefully see the best of him. What exactly he goes down as still very much remains to be seen, even if some things are established beyond reasonable doubt.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
Great player, great captain, shame he's putting a stop to the captaincy.

Not the greatest Sri Lankan batsmen ever? It'd be darn close between him and Aravinda, too close to call IMO, they're equal in my book. Sangakkara's and Jayasuriya's names should be up there aswell.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There's no way on Earth Mahela was or is better than Aravinda IMO, however many runs he compiles in the subcontinent. Make no mistake, Mahela is a terrific player and far from hopeless outside the subcontinent but he's enjoyed luxuries which Aravinda did only to a much lesser extent and though he's cashed-in far more effectively in some areas than Aravinda ever did (possibly ever cared to), he's still, in my book, achieved less.

Sangakkara, though, whenever he retires will surely beyond question go down as Sri Lanka's finest.
Playing devil's advocate, Aravinda's away record isn't better than Mahela's (even discounting Bang and Zim).

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
good to watch in full flow Mahela is. I still remeber like yesterday him striding out to bat with the score at 700 in that debut test of his.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Kumar > Mahela >> Aravinda

As good as Aravinda was against us (Australia) he wasn't as effective elsewhere. His battler persona buys him points but he simply isn't in the same class as the others IMO.